Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock- our most improved player this season?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ok, so obviously I think all of this praise is ridiculous. His goal yesterday was excellent, and one hell of a surprise. Not to see him hiding outside the box, that's not overly unusual but he actually kicked it. Hard. Quality goal and then a quality cross for Murray's goal - my criticism of him is that he doesn't affect the game at all, but in those two moments he turned the game for us yesterday and deserves high praise for it. It's like with Skalak, he often isn't in the game at all but then we get a set piece and he directly impacts the game with a delivery. Overall, his performance was as it usually is, he's a runner on a football pitch. Ineffective up against any opponent at all, no real ideas on the ball and if he were to win the ball back he'd only lose it immediately anyway because his a game is to pass to Murray, the b is to pass to Knockaert or if neither of those things are possible, he'll try to win a free kick.

All the praise of his "defending from the front" is generous at best, he runs around without doing anything. Maybe 1 in 5 the opposition player will misplace a pass or shank it out of play, so fair play, his running around has had an impact. But the rest of the time it doesn't make a difference. Nobody has mentioned the numerous times a move broke down because he couldn't keep hold of it, and nobody has mentioned that when Baldock tries to intercept a pass he misses, but Knockaert at least twice made an interception which actually got us the ball back. His effort actually had results.

As usual, I really think people should post where they watched the game from. I sit in the East Stand Upper, so I can see the whole game. If you sit in a lower tier or behind a goal, you don't have the same view, so you won't hold the same opinion. I'm very clear in my opinion, which is based entirely on his performances. He also needs to pack in getting in the faces of opponents and then having a cry to the referee when they tell him to piss off, he comes across as a tedious little man who is carried by the team. Yesterday he won us the game, obviously I'd be more than happy if he did that every game but he won't - he did nothing at all against Aston Villa but that's conveniently ignored and he did nothing in the first half yesterday, also not mentioned. But he was a worthy man of the match for the excellent goal and brilliant cross, it's just a shame it's completely out of character.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ok, so obviously I think all of this praise is ridiculous. His goal yesterday was excellent, and one hell of a surprise. Not to see him hiding outside the box, that's not overly unusual but he actually kicked it. Hard. Quality goal and then a quality cross for Murray's goal - my criticism of him is that he doesn't affect the game at all, but in those two moments he turned the game for us yesterday and deserves high praise for it. It's like with Skalak, he often isn't in the game at all but then we get a set piece and he directly impacts the game with a delivery. Overall, his performance was as it usually is, he's a runner on a football pitch. Ineffective up against any opponent at all, no real ideas on the ball and if he were to win the ball back he'd only lose it immediately anyway because his a game is to pass to Murray, the b is to pass to Knockaert or if neither of those things are possible, he'll try to win a free kick.

All the praise of his "defending from the front" is generous at best, he runs around without doing anything. Maybe 1 in 5 the opposition player will misplace a pass or shank it out of play, so fair play, his running around has had an impact. But the rest of the time it doesn't make a difference. Nobody has mentioned the numerous times a move broke down because he couldn't keep hold of it, and nobody has mentioned that when Baldock tries to intercept a pass he misses, but Knockaert at least twice made an interception which actually got us the ball back. His effort actually had results.

As usual, I really think people should post where they watched the game from. I sit in the East Stand Upper, so I can see the whole game. If you sit in a lower tier or behind a goal, you don't have the same view, so you won't hold the same opinion. I'm very clear in my opinion, which is based entirely on his performances. He also needs to pack in getting in the faces of opponents and then having a cry to the referee when they tell him to piss off, he comes across as a tedious little man who is carried by the team. Yesterday he won us the game, obviously I'd be more than happy if he did that every game but he won't - he did nothing at all against Aston Villa but that's conveniently ignored and he did nothing in the first half yesterday, also not mentioned. But he was a worthy man of the match for the excellent goal and brilliant cross, it's just a shame it's completely out of character.

I sit in West Stand Upper and have an entirely different view of Baldock to you. i value all the things you seem to think he should stop doing. maybe the sun gets in your eyes. I rate baldock this season, and I did last season too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I sit in East Upper ..central and about ten rows back ..but I don't hold the same view as you :moo:

Are you serious ? You think your opinion is correct because of where you watch the game from ? Just a touch arrogant don't you think ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I sit in West Stand Upper and have an entirely different view of Baldock to you. i value all the things you seem to think he should stop doing. maybe the sun gets in your eyes. I rate baldock this season, and I did last season too.

I'm not saying everyone in the Upper tiers should hold my opinion, we all see it differently and that's no problem for me. I find it maddening that we haven't signed a better quality striker than Baldock, i'd have thought signing Murray would have highlighted the difference in class but apparently not. Much like Bong, the quality in our team has overtaken Baldock but he's clinging on because there's nobody better than him in the squad at the moment. I'm hoping we sign and then play a quality striker to partner Murray in january because Baldock's contributions are far too few and far between. That said, he has had much more of an impact this season compared to last, when he offered absolutely nothing at all.

I think ultimately, I think we should set a higher standard of expectation on players than there appears to be with Baldock. People seemed relieved he had performed so defending him on here and in person is much easier, without having to address his no show against Aston Villa or the first half yesterday when he offered no form of out ball or relief on the defence when we were in trouble.

Are you serious ? You think your opinion is correct because of where you watch the game from ? Just a touch arrogant don't you think ?

Maybe, but it's a fair point isn't it? Your view does affect your opinion, if you see the game from ground level behind a goal it's a totally different view from being above the play and seeing it all unfold. That's something everyone can agree on, surely?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
- my criticism of him is that he doesn't affect the game at all

Aside from yesterday Preston and Wednsday spring to mind this season,without his crucial goals we would be well down in the play off berths.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Not to dismiss your opinion as everyone's views are different.
I'd put it out there that if he wasn't playing we wouldn't be top 2. Runner on a football pitch is an interesting phrase. You have got to have willing runners and options as a Defender and a midfielder when on the pitch. He is always on the move and gives us options all the time. A lot of the time it is down the channels and stretches the CB off the opposition. This is creating space for others but also allows us to get higher up the pitch. That directly affects the game and how is essential in how we play. For a player who has 4/5 assists thus far this year, 2 in the past couple of games suggests he has some idea when he's on the ball as well.
In addition I think dismissing what he does as a CF closing from the front is very harsh. Hurrying players in to rushed clearances allows us to win the ball easier. It's not just about winning the ball or blocking it.
I do agree his hold up play could be better despite his light frame. Balls in to feet he should be able to find a player a bit better than he does. Likewise his finishing at times could be better at times but there are very few CF who are perfect at finishing.
The whole team struggled 1st half yesterday as they did vs villa but I recall it was his layoff to Murray which led to the equaliser.
As for the getting in players face comment that just sounds a little bitter from a guy who clearly doesn't rate him.
I personally don't think he was MOM yesterday, but I rate him for what he does and does well. He isn't prolific but offers so much more and his partnerships with Murray and last year Hened have been essential for us and how we play

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon most people would have been in favour of booting him off at half time. OK, most of the team played complete shite in the first half, but the bloke was visibly shirking just about every physical challenge. Not the bravest forward we've ever had. Not what you want with a battle on your hands. And we had a serious battle on our hands yesterday. All very well to pay retrospective homage to Baldock for his second half contribution, and to be fair that strike was SWEET. But can we do far better in January? Absolutely!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd put it out there that if he wasn't playing we wouldn't be top 2. Runner on a football pitch is an interesting phrase. You have got to have willing runners and options as a Defender and a midfielder when on the pitch. He is always on the move and gives us options all the time. A lot of the time it is down the channels and stretches the CB off the opposition. This is creating space for others but also allows us to get higher up the pitch. That directly affects the game and how is essential in how we play. For a player who has 4/5 assists thus far this year, 2 in the past couple of games suggests he has some idea when he's on the ball as well.
In addition I think dismissing what he does as a CF closing from the front is very harsh. Hurrying players in to rushed clearances allows us to win the ball easier. It's not just about winning the ball or blocking it.
I do agree his hold up play could be better despite his light frame. Balls in to feet he should be able to find a player a bit better than he does. Likewise his finishing at times could be better at times but there are very few CF who are perfect at finishing.
The whole team struggled 1st half yesterday as they did vs villa but I recall it was his layoff to Murray which led to the equaliser.
As for the getting in players face comment that just sounds a little bitter from a guy who clearly doesn't rate him.
I personally don't think he was MOM yesterday, but I rate him for what he does and does well. He isn't prolific but offers so much more and his partnerships with Murray and last year Hened have been essential for us and how we play

This is a fair and accurate assessment, in my view.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Aside from yesterday Preston and Wednsday spring to mind this season,without his crucial goals we would be well down in the play off berths.

I missed Preston, so I'm relying on the highlights. I might be being harsh, and the result is all that matters, but would you agree he was fortunate with the goal in that game? Did his best to miss it! And missed a sitter after the goal yesterday, no? Good header vs Wolves and spectacular goal against Wednesday from an outrageous through ball from Dunk.

Personally, I don't agree that his runs do create space for others, or stretches the defence. I say that because his runs lack any intellect, he runs around a lot but there's not a purpose to it, it's more for show than anything else. When CMS closed down a goalkeeper or a defender, he was actually forcing them to do something or trying to tackle them but Baldock just runs at them a bit and that's it. Sometimes he'll get close enough to unsettle them, but not usually. He rarely forces an error and almost never gets the ball, so it's just for show. In contrast, when Knockaert, an obviously better player, does the same thing he more often than not makes something happen.

Against Villa, giving him the assist is a bit strong. He passed the ball, sure, but Murray's touch and long range hit caused the goal and really, Baldock can't claim too much of an assist there other than being the last person involved before Murray made the magic happen. If Hemed were more mobile, he'd be in the team with Murray but again, if he's going to score a goal like yesterday and deliver crosses as the one for the goal then he justifies his place in the team.

But it's clearly an area of the team we could bring in a far stronger player without losing the running around, which you get from just about any striker.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Reckon most people would have been in favour of booting him off at half time. OK, most of the team played complete shite in the first half, but the bloke was visibly shirking just about every physical challenge. Not the bravest forward we've ever had. Not what you want with a battle on your hands. And we had a serious battle on our hands yesterday. All very well to pay retrospective homage to Baldock for his second half contribution, and to be fair that strike was SWEET. But can we do far better in January? Absolutely!

I'm agreeing that most of the team were shite first half (give Fulham some credit) but he was no worse than that 'most'... the guy is clearly benefiting from playing alongside a top class striker in Murray ..but Also from a run in the team and has formed an effective partnership with GM

Edit From East stand upper :D

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill

This. I'm also in the West Stand Upper and couldn't agree more. As you say, must be the sun :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Same from WSL. Not sure he's a materially different player this season, apart from a bit fitter perhaps. He was doing ok first half of last season when we didn't lose at all.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Really pleased for Baldock. As previously mentioned, he's now having a run of games, building confidence and working well with Murray. Hope however this doesn't mean that Mr Tony is going to consider keeping his hands in his pockets in January. Anyway have to confess Fulhams recent good run did worry me yesterday, so good 3 points. It's games like this that will mean all the difference as the season closes, and yesterdays game could eventually turn out to have been a six pointer.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
... the guy is clearly benefiting from a run in the team and has formed an effective partnership with GM

he's quite good at doing that . Last season he played the first 16 games of the season (bar 1) alongside Zamora / Hemed. We lost none of them. 4 assists , 2 goals.
When he returned after the mid season injury he played / started in 14 out of 17 games and we only lost 2. (Cardiff, and the first Sheff Weds play off).
He's sorely underrated on here.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
he's quite good at doing that . Last season he played the first 16 games of the season (bar 1) alongside Zamora / Hemed. We lost none of them. 4 assists , 2 goals.
When he returned after the mid season injury he played / started in 14 out of 17 games and we only lost 2. (Cardiff, and the first Sheff Weds play off).
He's sorely underrated on here.

Simply because he puts himself about and harries the opposition defender's, something all are other strikers lack. If a new striker does come in in January this needs to be part of his play

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here