Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badminton shambles

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Yes, but at least they had the balls to make the correct decision when the farce came to light. I agree that they should have used a better system, like random draws for the knockout stages, but if this one worked well in previous tournaments, how were they to know it would turn into a scandal?

As for the last bit, you could just as easily say the same for doping. Taking drugs to improve their chances of winning is morally wrong, even if the doping agencies fail to act properly. I know I'm sounding all wishy-washy here, but people paid good money to see world-class athletes. THEY are to blame, NOT the BWF. It completely goes against the Olympic spirit, and exactly what the Games do not stand for.
I think we both agree that the system is flawed and also that the players are at fault for exploiting the flaw, contrary to the spirit of the olympics. I just think that if you give players the opportunity to exploit the set-up in this way they'll take it. Others have got away with it before - I've even seen it first hand in junior Badminton England tournaments that my daughter's played in and no-one batted an eyelid there.

D

Deleted member 18477

But you won't know who you'll be racing against anyway, or what lane you'll be in.

Exactly and in swimming it's all done on times! 8th fastest qualify for final etc not 4 from each semi so you slow down at your own risk.

Not sure if athletics is the same, can't remember now.

D

Deleted member 18477

They did abide by the oath... to try their hardest to win the gold medal. It was not their fault the organisers screwed up so badly.

In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here