Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bad father

dingle

Banned
Sep 4, 2006
my first game was incidently a 1-0 victory over Leyton Orient at the Goldstone, Kurt Nogan scoring in the 89th minute! I must have been 6 at most!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
mine was wolves at home back in about 1989 i believe

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Fragmented Badger said:
What's the point of taking an 18 month old to a football match?

None at all, apart from giving bragging rights on a message board years later!

My son's first game was when he was 10 weeks old v Hull City in March 2001 - ridiculous, as he slept all the way through apart from when he was woken by the Withdean ROAR.

My first game was on 28th August 1968 v Torquay United - a THRILLING 1-1 draw

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Goodfella, now your daughter thinks you are a liar as it did happen again, no less than three times.

Hiney, your first game was the same day as my 3rd birthday, when no doubt I was covering myself with jelly and ice cream and blissfully unaware of my future association with the Albion and all the agony and ecstasy that would involve.

My first game was a 3-0 defeat by Oxford in the FA Cup, we were still in the first division and they were in the third, didn't put me off though and I have since witnessed much worse...Kingstonian comes to mind...

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Fragmented Badger said:
What's the point of taking an 18 month old to a football match?

My baby girl was born on August 6th, she went to her first game against last month aged 13 days.

My eldest son was 23 months when he went to his first game - home to Derby County we won 4-3 after being 3-0 down (Bowyer, Hasselbaink, Wallace and Kewell), my eldest daughter was nearly four years old Wolves at home we won 4-1 (Matteo, Smith, Milner and Viduka) and my middle daughter never got to go to a football game.

My first Leeds game was at home to Stoke, we won 4-0, Swan scored twice, Baird and Stiles the other two.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Against Darlington in 1998 at Gillingham, lost 4-0, Gabbiadini tore us apart.

Hooked every since!

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Home to Bolton in 1977. We lost 2-1. I was 7.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gully said:
when no doubt I was covering myself with jelly and ice cream
How odd. I was doing that on Friday night.
Anyways, I dunno what my first game was. Some time in the early eighties, but I was too busy being a pain in the arse running round in the chicken run to bother who was playing.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Good start to the thread, which has disappointingly deteriorated into "when did you first watch the Albion?"
My son was born three years ago. I remember shortly after his birth imagining his first game, getting the train to Falmer, everyone walking purposefully to the ground, the hubbub, the smell of onions, the distant sound of a tannoy, clickety click of the turnstiles, the first sight of the hallowed turf. You know, all the stuff you remember from your first time because it's all new.
I don't intend to take him until he's about seven but please God let it be Falmer.
I'm not taking him to Withdean. No way. Kids are not stupid. He'll be put off for life.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...err, for me it degenerated into memories of covering myself with my food when I was a 3 year old, something I lookforward to revisiting when I hit my 80's...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My parents hated football but luckily their friends were Brighton fans and I ended up going along with them. Aged 7 I crammed in to the West Stand Terrace for Brighton v Blackpool at the end of the 77/78 season.

We won and should have got promotion except that the Scummers from Smeghampton and Spurs both needed a point each for promotion ahead of us and amazingly were playing each other and drew 0-0 ???

There were about 33000 there from memory of reading my BHA history books though as a 7 year old standing on the box I used to reach the sink in the bathroom it just looked like a shitload of people.

My first child (a boy so the scans say) is due November and I have been wondering how to hook him as my introduction was SO dramatic. Luckily, taking influence from the above posts, I can either take him at 10 days old in which case he'll never know or alternatively a 4-0 loss in the arse end of Kent against Darling-bloody-ton will be enough to hook him.

Hiney and Withdean Wanderer I salute you.

Last edited:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Mine was Vs Bournemouth aswell, cant remember the score or the date but i LOVED it.

Another early game for me was the FA cup replay Vs Fulham when we were on TV and it went to pens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here