Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Back to the Home Office Again.....

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Right - my time is up, 2 years since I was made legal, and now my Indefinite Leave to Remain is expiring at the end of the year, but since I'm being bribed home for Christmas I need to change my status yet again before I go, or they won't let me back in... (no sniggering in the back) :lol:

Anyhow I'm reading through the rules that pertain to me, and aside from the fact that the website is all new and spangly...there is this very obvious new addition:

(vi) the applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, unless he is under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over at the time he makes his application.

So am I getting called in for an English test? Should I brush up on my spelling and grammar. What if I don't know where Leicestershire is?

I'm worried....really worried....:ohmy: and I have to stump up £750 for the pleasure!!

Anyone who's interested heres the whole (and very wordy) Border and Immigration Agency speil:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawandpolicy/immigrationrules/part8

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Right - my time is up, 2 years since I was made legal, and now my Indefinite Leave to Remain is expiring at the end of the year, but since I'm being bribed home for Christmas I need to change my status yet again before I go, or they won't let me back in... (no sniggering in the back) :lol:

Anyhow I'm reading through the rules that pertain to me, and aside from the fact that the website is all new and spangly...there is this very obvious new addition:

(vi) the applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, unless he is under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over at the time he makes his application.

So am I getting called in for an English test? Should I brush up on my spelling and grammar. What if I don't know where Leicestershire is?

I'm worried....really worried....:ohmy:

Anyone who's interested heres the whole (and very wordy) Border and Immigration Agency speil:

My sympathies, the future Mrs BHA has been told her Visa application will take 3-12 months to process and in the mean time she cannot visit this country. Makes you wonder why I've bothered to pay tax all these years.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My sympathies, the future Mrs BHA has been told her Visa application will take 3-12 months to process and in the mean time she cannot visit this country. Makes you wonder why I've bothered to pay tax all these years.

Mine is supposed to be 70% of applications withing 4 weeks, 90% within 14 weeks....but I'm not allowed to apply until I've only got 28 days left on my current leave to remain period! What if it expires during the wait? Well apparently I have to file another form FLR(M) to extent my current status and re-apply!! (Another £750)....doesn't sound right to me - neither does your future MRs BHA's application - do you know what form she's using?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I'm worried....really worried....:ohmy: and I have to stump up £750 for the pleasure!!

Blimey! Do you have to jump through these hoops EVERY two years? Or at some point do they just give you dual citizenship? Not a very nice thing to have hanging over your head all the time.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Blimey! Do you have to jump through these hoops EVERY two years? Or at some point do they just give you dual citizenship? Not a very nice thing to have hanging over your head all the time.

First I had a work permit for 4 years, then through marriage I got Leave to Remain for 2 years, then I have to apply for Indefinate Leave to Remain for a further 2 years, then I can get Residency.... or something like that....:lol:

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.

Just wear a Veil. They’ll say no need to sit the test madam.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
First I had a work permit for 4 years, then through marriage I got Leave to Remain for 2 years, then I have to apply for Indefinate Leave to Remain for a further 2 years, then I can get Residency.... or something like that....:lol:

Ah, right. Good luck :thumbsup:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Pardon me for throwing in my two-penneth, but surely as you are married to (presumably) a British Citizen then you should be allowed to remain forever, it sounds like a crazy ruling to make you re-apply every two years...another example of the law being an ass.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

You have my sympathies Tedebear. If it's any consolation my son who works in Sydney is going through a similiar process with the aussie immigration folk. He got a 3 year work permit then a further 2 years but is now going through the residency stuff.

Best of luck anyway. We would not want to lose you. One of the saner voices on NSC!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Pardon me for throwing in my two-penneth, but surely as you are married to (presumably) a British Citizen then you should be allowed to remain forever, it sounds like a crazy ruling to make you re-apply every two years...another example of the law being an ass.

It's rooted in 'arranged marriages', irritating but understandable.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yeah, bhaexpress, kind of considered that as I was posting...I suppose there has to be something in place, irritating as it is for those who do not seek to abuse the system, to dissuade those who would.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Set yourself up as Fatima Lasima bin Tedebear, claim to come from Algeria or Morocco and threaten to blow up the centre of Brighton unless this or that group of oppressed Arabs is freed from the oppression of America and Britain. Then they'll let you stay. If you are a hard working mother, who has put money into the British economy before having a child, they will not want to know. Before afters and MoH jump on me, I am not joining algie and looney's Daily Mail wagon. Believe me, I used to work for this shower, who are happy to let opponents of Robert Mugabe's regime go home to goodness knows what, while allowing terrorists to stay here because their rights might be threatened if they went home.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yeah, bhaexpress, kind of considered that as I was posting...I suppose there has to be something in place, irritating as it is for those who do not seek to abuse the system, to dissuade those who would.

It is annoying especially to a small Filipina stuck in Abu Dhabi ! However, it's even more clear under the present circumstances that such conditions are necessary.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Well it does sound stupid but to be fair to the law - what its trying to prevent is people who marry simply to attain residency....All I'm having to do is prove regularly enough that I'm still married to a Brit. and intend to stay married, which of course I do...I think we'll all agree that people marrying simply to get residence shouldn't be allowed, and I can't think of any way to prevent it other than the way its currently done. I do however object to paying £750 twice and then a final residency fee of £950!! I'm doing everything by the letter and so shouldn't have a problem - here's hoping!! :lol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
You have my sympathies Tedebear. If it's any consolation my son who works in Sydney is going through a similiar process with the aussie immigration folk. He got a 3 year work permit then a further 2 years but is now going through the residency stuff.

Best of luck anyway. We would not want to lose you. One of the saner voices on NSC!

Thanks! What a lovely thing to say! You've made my day!! :blush:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
All the best Tede hope it runs smoothly :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here