Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Back to Football!! - (Chris Wood wants extended stay) (Merged)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Ok we've seen all the threads about:

1. Sprouts
2. The Apprentice
3. Kara Tointon
4. Etc. Etc.

Albion have a match at Dagenham on 26th December. Three points are crucial to keep ahead of the chasing pack. (Thanks Exeter). We need another winning run.............

Albion striker would like to stay From The Argus)

Albion striker would like to stay
9:30am Monday 20th December 2010

Print Email Share Comments(0)

CHRIS WOOD has opened the door to an extended stay at Albion after suffering more Withdean frustration.

The on-loan striker was left kicking his heels again on Friday when the Seagulls had their second home postponement of his loan stint from West Bromwich Albion.

Wood was ineligible for the home FA Cup tie against FC United of Manchester so has played just once at Withdean since signing a month ago.

His Albion deal expires after the trip to Exeter on January 3 but he told The Argus: “I’d love to stay. I’ve settled in well here and I like the club tremendously.

“I’m happy to keep talking to them and hopefully extend that, probably with another loan until the end of the season or whenever they would like.”

The Baggies cut short Wood’s loan to Barnsley because of his lack of playing time and fixed him up with Albion.

He added: “West Brom keep tabs on me. They came to the Southampton game.

“They keep the advice coming but I’m sure they will be happy to keep me down here.”

Poyet is receptive to the idea of Wood staying until the end of the season.

But he would like to see him play a few more games before hammering out a deal with Baggies boss Roberto di Matteo.

Poyet said: “I can talk to Robbie any time but my idea was to keep Chris longer.

“I would like to see him have five, six or seven games with us but it has been difficult with the postponements and the FA Cup.

“Remember, I wanted Chris in the summer so we could do pre-season with him.

“He had four or five Championship teams after him so we didn’t get anywhere but then we were lucky when things did not work out for him at Barnsley.

“We’ll wait and see when he has played a few more games...

“Then maybe we can talk and he can tell me if he still wants to stay.”

West Brom were due to watch Wood against Notts County.

Charlton boss Phil Parkinson and his Portsmouth counterpart Steve Cotterill were also expected at the game as they plan for their sides’ forthcoming visits to Withdean.

Meanwhile Poyet admits he has not been put off a new move for Kazenga LuaLua, despite the winger’s broken leg and the change of management at his parent club Newcastle.

LuaLua’s latest impressive loan stint with the Seagulls was cut short by a broken leg which will rule him out until March.

New Toon boss Alan Pardew has revealed he rates LuaLua highly and is keen to loan out his most promising youngsters to gain experience.

Poyet said: “We wanted Kaz all the time and that has not changed. We will talk at the right time.”

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I wonder how much of Wood's potential future with us is linked with our chances of bringing in another striker?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
There is one thing nearly every single player says, they are very happy here. Thats good news. See what a new stadium and Gus in charge does for our profile.

Once we get the new stadium we will get even more people wanting to play for us. We are going forward.

I am just glad we are not in Milton Keynes FC boat, who just rocked up, built a new stadium and then expected to be in the premier league by now. It seems whatever Milton Keynes FC do to promote a good day out and win supporters with comfy sofas and restaurants, its still not really happening for them. Not a lot of money in their pot either by the sounds of it. It looks like they where banking on the World Cup being successful so they could complete the stadium.

Last edited:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
It must be frustrating for Wood as a lot of games during his loan spell have either been FA Cup games or they've been postponed.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Chris Wood: I would like to stay

Argus:

CHRIS WOOD has opened the door to an extended stay at Albion after suffering more Withdean frustration.

The on-loan striker was left kicking his heels again on Friday when the Seagulls had their second home postponement of his loan stint from West Bromwich Albion.

Wood was ineligible for the home FA Cup tie against FC United of Manchester so has played just once at Withdean since signing a month ago.

His Albion deal expires after the trip to Exeter on January 3 but he told The Argus: “I’d love to stay. I’ve settled in well here and I like the club tremendously.

“I’m happy to keep talking to them and hopefully extend that, probably with another loan until the end of the season or whenever they would like.”

The Baggies cut short Wood’s loan to Barnsley because of his lack of playing time and fixed him up with Albion.

He added: “West Brom keep tabs on me. They came to the Southampton game.

“They keep the advice coming but I’m sure they will be happy to keep me down here.”

Poyet is receptive to the idea of Wood staying until the end of the season.

But he would like to see him play a few more games before hammering out a deal with Baggies boss Roberto di Matteo.

Poyet said: “I can talk to Robbie any time but my idea was to keep Chris longer.

“I would like to see him have five, six or seven games with us but it has been difficult with the postponements and the FA Cup.

“Remember, I wanted Chris in the summer so we could do pre-season with him.

“He had four or five Championship teams after him so we didn’t get anywhere but then we were lucky when things did not work out for him at Barnsley.

“We’ll wait and see when he has played a few more games...

“Then maybe we can talk and he can tell me if he still wants to stay.”

West Brom were due to watch Wood against Notts County.

Charlton boss Phil Parkinson and his Portsmouth counterpart Steve Cotterill were also expected at the game as they plan for their sides’ forthcoming visits to Withdean.

Meanwhile Poyet admits he has not been put off a new move for Kazenga LuaLua, despite the winger’s broken leg and the change of management at his parent club Newcastle.

LuaLua’s latest impressive loan stint with the Seagulls was cut short by a broken leg which will rule him out until March.

New Toon boss Alan Pardew has revealed he rates LuaLua highly and is keen to loan out his most promising youngsters to gain experience.

Poyet said: “We wanted Kaz all the time and that has not changed. We will talk at the right time.”

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Mods please merge with white lions thread below!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not seen enough of him to judge - what I have seen I don't think he improves the team much / at all. We need a more prolific striker or stick with Muzza and Barnes.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think I have seen every min he has played for us. Actually scratch that I have seen every min.

Have to say I agree with Sheebo. A useful signing? Certainly. The great hope to partner Murray and fire us up as champions? No. So it begs the question do we need him with Sandaza being fit and Barnes. Plus we havent seen the Norwegian yet either?

Maybe if Holroyd is shipped out.

Not gonna write Wood off but he is NOT the "answer". At least not yet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From what I've seen he seems too similar to Murray to be paired with him. It should be Murray/Wood and Barnes/Sandaza upfront. My personal choice for next game would be Murray and Sandaza, I could see those two complementing each other well.

I know this may sound harsh as he is young e.t.c, but I really haven't seen a more useless striker here for a long time. If he is mean't to be the ball winning, hold the ball up target man then fine, but don't play him when we quite clearly have a player better than him that can do just that, Glenn Murray. Murray in fact wins more balls than him and his touch/goal scoring ability is far superior.

I too have seen every minute of Wood and I am totaly perplexed by his starting for us. He seriously offers NOTHING. What we need is a nippy, on the last man, clinical striker to partner Murray just like Forster did before his bad knee.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know this may sound harsh as he is young e.t.c, but I really haven't seen a more useless striker here for a long time. If he is mean't to be the ball winning, hold the ball up target man then fine, but don't play him when we quite clearly have a player better than him that can do just that, Glenn Murray. Murray in fact wins more balls than him and his touch/goal scoring ability is far superior.

I too have seen every minute of Wood and I am totaly perplexed by his starting for us. He seriously offers NOTHING. What we need is a nippy, on the last man, clinical striker to partner Murray just like Forster did before his bad knee.

I have to agree... I would send him back to West Brom, providing we can (a) keep Muzza, and (b) bring in that elusive striker of the type you mention...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All I want for Christmas is a Murray contract extension and Charlie Austin.

My nutsack would explode if that happened.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Looked pretty useful against huddersfield and lets not forget he's only 18???

I think theire is very good potential indeed and would be a good addition to the squad.:D

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wood looked ood at Hudds - The movement for his header wide was CLASS - It showed the whole run he did on the stream. Also the shot that hit the post was unlucky. Maybe he's settled in a little more to playing regular footy and will keep improving...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here