Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back in Garth's good books

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
His last sentence is absolutely spot on imo :down:

Unlike some on here I think we’ll really struggle to replace him and I don’t expect him to be here next season following the end of season sit down with TB and PB when he will be told how complicated everything is. He deserves a shot at a club who’ll back him for a run at crashing the top four, just imo

Understandably, we are not that club

I really hope you're wrong. Personally, I can't see him going anywhere just yet. Yes, he's brought a great playing style to the club, but he's still got a hell of a lot to prove, IMO. Just like the leap from league to league or from club to BIG club is a struggle for some players, I think the same for managers.

I can't really see where he'd go -*not in the PL, at least:

Man City? Can't see them taking a punt on a relatively inexperienced guy who hasn't won anything
Liverpool? Ditto
Chelsea? Don't think anyone would touch that place with a bargepole at the moment
United? Just replaced their manager (or it's IMMINENT). Surely even THEY wouldn't act that quickly to do it again
Spuds? Conte appointment proves they'd go after a proven manager whose won something
Wolves? Nah
Arsenal? Possibly - possibly depends on if they get top 4 – but Palace Pat might get a look in first
Leicester? The type of club that Brighton could/should be benchmarking, so probably not
Villa? Stevie G isn't going anywhere, unless Kloppo moves on and even then the time might not be right. In a similar boat to GPott, although he's won the MTL, at least (I think)
Newcastle? Part of me thinks Smug Eddie might get the gig for a while longer. He's certainly got the results, so it could be a risk getting shot of him (pun intended).
West Ham? Moyes has the potential to become a legend there, so I don't think he's going anywhere for a while

The rest of them would be, dare I say it – based on TB's ambitions – a sideways move.

I know the season's not over – and the recent upturn in results is short – but look at what he can achieve with the players/budget/level of quality he has at Brighton (when they are not going six games without a goal/point!). Even taking that run out of the equation, clearly top four would be a big ask, but there's no reason why in and around the European places shouldn't be an ambition for 22/23...

I think – and hope – he's here for a while.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Recent PL winners, still in Europe, better players, better history, bigger budget, yeah I’d say that is quite a big step up personally.

However some still seem to think he’s the Emperor’s New Clothes so maybe they’re right and he’ll be here forever or until TB sacks him :shrug:

I'll rephrase, A BIG step up, as opposed to the next rung . . . . I see Leicester, and say AV as a rung up but not necessarily a deal breaker when here's a good bet already (taking into consideration clubs current situations/trajectories) . . . . maybe he'd be happy with that. but If the hype is to be believed he'd be head hunted by one of the big guns and would leave for a big step up.

who knows, and bugger all we can do about it anyway :lolol:

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Trossard makes Garth's team of the week, with the pundit's pundit also heaping praise on our bearded maestro...

Leandro Trossard: Just when you think Tottenham look like a team who have rid themselves of such rampant inconsistency, Brighton come along and remind you that not much has changed after all. Spurs were awful and if they couldn't win the game they were perfectly entitled not to lose it. Trossard provided a warning last week when he scored against Arsenal and put their fight for fourth place on skid row. To predict Trossard doing the same to Spurs days later would have been a stretch, but that's precisely what happened. Brighton's performances under Graham Potter have been extraordinary. Good English managers in the Premier League are in short supply. The big question now is how long can Brighton keep him.​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61135951

We made Spuds look awful, get it right

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I really hope you're wrong. Personally, I can't see him going anywhere just yet. Yes, he's brought a great playing style to the club, but he's still got a hell of a lot to prove, IMO. Just like the leap from league to league or from club to BIG club is a struggle for some players, I think the same for managers.

I can't really see where he'd go -*not in the PL, at least:

Man City? Can't see them taking a punt on a relatively inexperienced guy who hasn't won anything
Liverpool? Ditto
Chelsea? Don't think anyone would touch that place with a bargepole at the moment
United? Just replaced their manager (or it's IMMINENT). Surely even THEY wouldn't act that quickly to do it again
Spuds? Conte appointment proves they'd go after a proven manager whose won something
Wolves? Nah
Arsenal? Possibly - possibly depends on if they get top 4 – but Palace Pat might get a look in first
Leicester? The type of club that Brighton could/should be benchmarking, so probably not
Villa? Stevie G isn't going anywhere, unless Kloppo moves on and even then the time might not be right. In a similar boat to GPott, although he's won the MTL, at least (I think)
Newcastle? Part of me thinks Smug Eddie might get the gig for a while longer. He's certainly got the results, so it could be a risk getting shot of him (pun intended).
West Ham? Moyes has the potential to become a legend there, so I don't think he's going anywhere for a while

The rest of them would be, dare I say it – based on TB's ambitions – a sideways move.

I know the season's not over – and the recent upturn in results is short – but look at what he can achieve with the players/budget/level of quality he has at Brighton (when they are not going six games without a goal/point!). Even taking that run out of the equation, clearly top four would be a big ask, but there's no reason why in and around the European places shouldn't be an ambition for 22/23...

I think – and hope – he's here for a while.

Yeah agree with all this.
He will need to win a cup or get us into Europe, before any of the big clubs would be prepared to take a risk on him.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Garth Crooks, I have said it before and I will say it again. He is fraudulently drawing a living from licence payers money and is complete and utter waste of time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'The German was outstanding and has been all season. The only person who has been better is manager Graham Potter.'

???

I'm a MASSIVE fan of Mr Groß, but that is clearly not true. Mind you It's Garth saying it, so I'm not really surprised...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is where I stopped reading:

“Cucurella: If anyone was in any doubt why I tend to select goal scorers for my team…..”

When I read that and the reason that follows it my view that Crooks is a knob was reaffirmed. He clearly doesn't understand the game is a TEAM sport.

Dec 29, 2011
'The German was outstanding and has been all season. The only person who has been better is manager Graham Potter.'

???

I'm a MASSIVE fan of Mr Groß, but that is clearly not true. Mind you It's Garth saying it, so I'm not really surprised...

So when Gross gets one single vote for POTS we'll know who it's from.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Good to see the write up on Größ was mainly about United defenders. Well done Crooks you knob.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Getting pelters! Judging by the comments left on the BBC board following his departure it seems that most thought he was thieving a living. Goodbye and good riddance!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
If you're going to try and disguise the fact you're stealing a living, you may as well get an intern to actually watch the games (or at least highlights) and do the write up for you rather than just checking teletext for the goalscorers. Not even just our players, Jarrod Bowen got three assists yesterday yet he puts in Benrahma for scoring a bog standard goal from in the box and one which Krul basically threw into his own net. Brilliant.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The only reason Garth even watched the highlights of our game is because it was against a big six club. Over the years he has shown no real knowledge of the teams outside the so called big clubs. A few matches ago he said he would have picked Trossard because he was outstanding, but he doesn't like false 9s!

I didnt know he was leaving the BBC , I certainly wont miss him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here