empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
and southampton will be having a field day next week

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
One of the stewards said we had 700 there, although it looked more to me. As for the game, the ref was shocking, our defence was shocking, but at times we played some very nice football. Bennett did an excellent job doubling up as right back after Hoyte's very unlucky sending-off. How their guy didn't also get a red, I don't know. But neither would have been deserved. The ref obviously realised his mistake by evening it up just before half time. I'd echo the sentiments at the top of this thread regarding Davies - he caused all sorts of problems when he came on, and I still can't believe how his "goal" was ruled offside, as he seemed to pick up the ball in front of the defender. It was great to see someone prepared to shoot - ok, his first two efforts were wide, but he had the courage to persevere, and if it had been allowed, his third was an absolute corker. Murray was also in cracking form today.

The big disappointment was the defending, especially after we went 3-2 up. For some reason we then decided to stop playing and Wycombe were allowed to spray the ball around, waltz into our penalty area, and score two simple goals.

Luckily a bit of stupidity from a Wycombe defender leads to a hand-ball in the area, and Murray scores his second, this time from the spot.

We could (and should) have won it at the end with several half chances.

If we can sort out the defence, we may start winning a few games - we can certainly attack.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Sorry mate I know football is about opionions, but how can you say El Abd had a good game, what planet are you on ?, have a look at 3 of the goals and they all came from him not being a left back, not his fault, but he does not show the forward the line, so it is so easy to come in and cross the ball, which they did for 3 goals. Sorry mate think you need go to some more matches and learn the basics of football tactics. I am not the only one, I had people behind screaming him to be taken off. He is quite simply appaling at left back, just how many goals we have let in at when he is at left back, Huddesfield, 7, last week, 3, this week 4, I rest my case.

As you say, all about opinions :thumbsup: and you are quite right about all the goals coming from crosses on their right flank. Not sure if you noticed or not but Gary Whaddock (sp?) played Betsy on their right flank - imo a very clever move - now he's usually a striker and he had a field day today! Won everything in the air against Cox and used his strength and pace to push forward onto El-Abd along with their Centre Midfielder. They clearly saw that our left flank is weak and took advantage of that.

I didn't say he was a good left back, I said he was having a good game and the argument of the three goals could equally be said that Virgo and Elphick have to be tighter in the box! Crosses are always going to be coming in, your full backs cannot stop every single one. However with those two in the middle I fear every time one does!

Back to El-Abd- I thought he did some very good defending one on one with Betsy on his weaker foot (I may be in the minority, but I consider that difficult) and going forward, playing the ball around he was much better.

To quote Sean Carter, "Just my thoughts man, just what I was thinking at the time."

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Must disagree with most of the opening post.

El-Abd was poor at left back again, all their attacks came past him.

Bennett defended really well but his crossing and corners were shocking apart from 1 or 2 decent balls in.

Murray played well but to say his goal was quality when it took such a huge deflection to loop over the keeper is a bit silly.

Hoyte was a clear red card, stupid kick out at their player.

Davies did look good in the air when he came on and spurred us on for the last 10-15 minutes, not sure why his goal was disallowed? It was a great finish after 2 proper shithouse efforts earlier.

Ref was pretty mediocore, got the red card right but thought their penalty was more than a bit harsh.

Elphick looked at fault for 2 of goals with poor positioning. Needs a break for a few games.

Forster and Dicker were below par but Crofts was excellent again.

Entertaining match with a few positives, but very worrying at the same time. Need a defensive coach in NOW.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
One of the stewards said we had 700 there, although it looked more to me. As for the game, the ref was shocking, our defence was shocking, but at times we played some very nice football. Bennett did an excellent job doubling up as right back after Hoyte's very unlucky sending-off. How their guy didn't also get a red, I don't know. But neither would have been deserved. The ref obviously realised his mistake by evening it up just before half time. I'd echo the sentiments at the top of this thread regarding Davies - he caused all sorts of problems when he came on, and I still can't believe how his "goal" was ruled offside, as he seemed to pick up the ball in front of the defender. It was great to see someone prepared to shoot - ok, his first two efforts were wide, but he had the courage to persevere, and if it had been allowed, his third was an absolute corker. Murray was also in cracking form today.

The big disappointment was the defending, especially after we went 3-2 up. For some reason we then decided to stop playing and Wycombe were allowed to spray the ball around, waltz into our penalty area, and score two simple goals.

Luckily a bit of stupidity from a Wycombe defender leads to a hand-ball in the area, and Murray scores his second, this time from the spot.

We could (and should) have won it at the end with several half chances.

If we can sort out the defence, we may start winning a few games - we can certainly attack.

Spot on post :thumbsup:. From where I was Davies's first two shots were both at quite tight angles. Agreed he should hit the target, but I think once he gets one he won't stop! The boy definitely has talent. Think the fact he doesn't get the goals just irritates some fans :shrug:

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
alright, alright, can you sad gimps that went today get over yourselves. We played one of the few teams that are below us in the league- and once again we struggled, we are proper shit, whoever takes over has his work cut out...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
alright, alright, can you sad gimps that went today get over yourselves. We played one of the few teams that are below us in the league- and once again we struggled, we are proper shit, whoever takes over has his work cut out...

:lolol::lolol:very true and lets not forget wycombe are the poorest side at scoring goals,well until they play us:lolol:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Spot on post :thumbsup:. From where I was Davies's first two shots were both at quite tight angles. Agreed he should hit the target, but I think once he gets one he won't stop! The boy definitely has talent. Think the fact he doesn't get the goals just irritates some fans :shrug:

Totally agree he has talent. I think his confidence is shot to pieces at the moment. All it needs is one goal and I reckon he could play a major part for the rest of the season

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Ah, sorry, I took this thread as one where we could discuss the match. There's really no need to be insulting..

Indeed we did- but I disagree that we struggled. I assume from your "sad gimps" comment you didn't go- did you listen? What did the commentators say?

We were crap at the back- that's just us at the moment. But! We could easily have scored 8! Our attack is fantastic at the moment, and I think if we can get Peter Taylor in as a defensive coach as has been speculated and tighten up at the back then whoever takes over will have the exact opposite of what you say.

Opinions, opinions indeed.

highly entertaining game but defence is the problem , thought elliiot was very impressive , perhaps davies should have come on earlier as he certainly caused them problems but his shooting is still a little woeful but hey it comes with confidence perhaps the new man in the hot seat will look at this performance and play him again.

one thing the ref was a disgrace to his profession he should really look at the way he took charge of the game , being at the wrong end and not being able to see the sending off for them was it a case of evening things up?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Very entertaining game. Defence shocking but we knew that. Biggest plus was seeing Murray looking keen and hungry. Cox had a good game too.

No way that Davies was offside for that goal. He turned and ran past their defender so dodgy decision for sure.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Great game ref was a cock. defence was shocking, plenty of positives from the game today i think ie murry and davies. Davies goal never off side, i thought about 700 there!!

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
My thoughts on the game:

Adams Park is a bloody awful place to get to

Murray - looked hungry and fierce on the ball, fantastic

Davies - is an impact sub and can score goals, NO WAY the 5th was offside as he let the ball run across his body with the defender between him and the goal

Cox - gave us natural width on BOTH sides, something we have been missing for a while

Dicker & Crofts - very solid partnership in the middle, great distribution

Smith - feel sorry for him, our defence is woeful

Highlight: the young kid who took part in the penalty kicks at halftime, only to whip of his green and white shirt to reveal an Albion home kit after his goal! fantastic

Crowd: at least 700 there, I thought closer to 1000...definitely not 400

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here