Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Back from Leicester

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This defeat may be a good thing as it will bring unrealistic expectations down. Gus said we will do well to sneak a play off play and that is right. We have imo no chance of being in the top 2 come the end of the season. Teams like West Ham, Leicester and I hate to say it Southampton will be the contenders for the title. I would be more than happy with 6th place come May and even a consolidation season in mid table would be fine at this stage. The Premiership is a 3 year plan.

We are nowhere near ready for the Prem just yet-we are still learning how to cope in The Championship. I've enjoyed the start to the season but have always thought that we are unlikely to be anywhere near the top 2 at the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong though and we enjoy another promotion.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
i hope we're not going to pay the price for our failure to sign a striker with presence. Did we perhaps spend too much time chasing Vicente?

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Expect I'm gonna get shot down for this but.............how can people start slagging off the team and individuals after 1 defeat against the pre-season joint favourites. Pathetic!

Amexican

May 21, 2011
I couldn't make the game but as I understand it Barnes headed down the ball for CMS's miss...if that had gone in then different result and we'd all be happy with them both...you won't get many chances against a top side...give the guys a break!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Expect I'm gonna get shot down for this but.............how can people start slagging off the team and individuals after 1 defeat against the pre-season joint favourites. Pathetic!

well I wouldnt slag you off Darters, but the comments so far are pretty reasonable and objective........ Its pointless pointing to individuals, we win or lose as a team, and the players in the team do there best within the system they are put in.

Barnes was not shit yesterday, he just wasn't in the game at all. I do think a sriker with Physical presence is a must (and Poyet said it was until the Paynter thing fell through), and its an option we sorely missed yesterday. Yesterday I can't but think a bigger physcial striker to replace Barnes would have offered us more against the likes of Sol Bamba.
Using CMS as a target man is not working when our passing game goes missing, we had no cutting edge up top. The bigger Physical forward would give us options for some games we are lacking today........

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland

welcome to nsc,people on here are deluded

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I couldn't make the game but as I understand it Barnes headed down the ball for CMS's miss...if that had gone in then different result and we'd all be happy with them both...you won't get many chances against a top side...give the guys a break!

looked like Noone's header to me...but i'm a supporter of Barnes..he's done fantastically well.

its going to be interesting to c peeps reactions if we have a few bad results...consolidation in championship and maintaining the good atmosphere at the amex have to b targets for players and supporters alike

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
looked like Noone's header to me...but i'm a supporter of Barnes..he's done fantastically well.

its going to be interesting to c peeps reactions if we have a few bad results...consolidation in championship and maintaining the good atmosphere at the amex have to b targets for players and supporters alike

Barnes against Liverpool, a peterborough a middlesborough or any other slick passing teams...... Option: Barnes on the bench and striker with presence against a Leicester, West Ham or any other bigger more physical team with muscular giants in defence??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the comments so far are pretty reasonable and objective
Mainly, but some are exaggurated. Reading this thread Leicester should have won 3-0, but we missed a couple of sitters - that doesn't make sense. But we get the picture, we were well beaten and could have done with more strength up front. I'm sure Gus tried to bring someone in, but these things don't always come off.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Barnes against Liverpool, a peterborough a middlesborough or any other slick passing teams...... Option: Barnes on the bench and striker with presence against a Leicester, West Ham or any other bigger more physical team with muscular giants in defence??

Wudn't disagree....but we havent got one......as yet

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Possibly because people who were there thought they didn't play particularily well.....read the whole thread!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wasn't there yesterday but i can safely say CMS is one of the buys of the summer - easily worth 2.5 - 3.5 mil and is prob one of the top 5 strikers in the league if not THE top striker. His finishing has never been his strongest point but his workrate and pace make him enough chances that he'll score a lot.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I was there and thought that we had our moments. Leicester are a very strong team and it was always going to be a difficult game but we only lost by one goal scored before anyone, even the crowd, seemed to have regained their concentration after the break. And we were playing some ok football in their half of the pitch towards the end but that did leave us open at the back. Not sure about the Lua Lua incident in the area either.

Brilliant away fans again!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that possibly Barnes has exceeded expectations in scoring goals but I do not see him as the best partner to CMS. Having spent £3m approx on CMS we have to play to his strengths and I do no think that Barnes is the best to do this I would prefer Hoskins when he is fully fit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Do you not think Barnes is playing a slightly different role this season though? It feels like as soon as we score he drops to a deeper position, rather than playing close to CMS.

If (and it's a big if for me) we do leave out Ashley, I just wonder whether playing Buckley more central may be a better option.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Do you not think Barnes is playing a slightly different role this season though? It feels like as soon as we score he drops to a deeper position, rather than playing close to CMS.

If (and it's a big if for me) we do leave out Ashley, I just wonder whether playing Buckley more central may be a better option.

Will admit to thinking the same, Buckleys got a bit of height even though thin...... would be interesting to see him up with CMS and both Nooney and Kaz on the flanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here