Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Back From Crewe...

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
The ref waved on after their penalty appeal, which must surely signify he had seen it. Then how can he defy to the linesman?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I think that although we came home with the wrong screline - we did play very well indeed. Was really impressed with Cox, he really wanted to win, and worked so hard to - even if it meant that sometimes he'd get a bit carried away with it (like when he got booked!) The guys were really pumped up at the beginning, which was very encouraging to see. We do need work in the midfield - like someone to hold it together, but we've needed help in our midfield really since carpenter went.

Has to be said that the ref was absolutely shocking today, we should have got a penalty in the second half - and their first half penalty sholdnt have been given - but it seems to always happen at crewe.

I don;t want to say it to put a dampener on the team, but what really disappointed me was Forster going straight down the tunnel at the end of the game and not acknowledging the fans. I realise after the game that he must have been really frustrated, and angry at the outcome, but most of us had travelled the 190+ miles to get there, and cheered until their voices were hoarse (mine's certainly sore) - it just would have been nice for him to just stay out with the rest of the team.

Anyway, i said this after the last time i went to crewe - but i'm NEVER going back!!!

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Just got back. I have got to say that we wuz robbed. Thought the penalty decision was a farce. The linsman was the one who gave it. It would appear we had a good goal ruled out which apparently crossed the line, and the penalty whch we never got was shocking. Add to that we hit the woodwork twice. Im sure it will even itslf out over the course of the season.

If we play on saturday like we played for the first 60 mins today, then I think we will beat Northampton.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
decent performance pity about the result

tiny looked good most of what we did seemed to centre around him

where getting joy out of balls into the box espcially in the 1st half

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
but what really disappointed me was Forster going straight down the tunnel at the end of the game and not acknowledging the fans. QUOTE]

I've noticed this often happens with new players, so I'm prepared to accept that Forster might not have realised that things are done differently at the Albion, I shall be expecting a clap from him at Tranmere.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's not the first time we have been robbed at Gresty Rd. Crewe scored a goal after the ball had crossed the back line (I think it was 3 years ago) which the linesman had clearly seen but didn't flag for it.

and last year , two breakaways in the last 10 minutes where a definite hand was used to push the ball onwards were waved play on!

think we are NEVER going to win at Gresty Road again - 4th time i've done it , 3 defeats and a draw :( - maybe its me , won't go next time up there.

jazzy

Jul 5, 2003
I don;t want to say it to put a dampener on the team, but what really disappointed me was Forster going straight down the tunnel at the end of the game and not acknowledging the fans. !

Forster did come a little way towards the fans applauding while the rest of the team were still shaking hands with each other. Then he turned and walked towards the tunnel while the rest of the team wandered over towards us.

As Al Bion says, hopefully he'll realise how the players usually acknowledge us lot at the end of the game.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think that although we came home with the wrong screline - we did play very well indeed. Was really impressed with Cox, he really wanted to win, and worked so hard to - even if it meant that sometimes he'd get a bit carried away with it (like when he got booked!) The guys were really pumped up at the beginning, which was very encouraging to see. We do need work in the midfield - like someone to hold it together, but we've needed help in our midfield really since carpenter went.

I would definitely agree with your view about Tiny, his goal celebration showed entirely how up for the game he was, plus he had a bit of a barging session with their player called Miller. That stemmed from a free kick, he raced about 50 yards to have a go at the player, was surprised that the ref missed it...mind you, based on his record in the rest of the game, maybe I shouldn't be. Finally his reaction after not being awarded a penalty, I know that I was a long way from where it happened, but I thought that it was a cert as he looked inside the box.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll remind my mate who went to Forsters wedding a few weeks back about acknowledging us after away games - sure it was just ignorance however the other players should have told him.

Sounds like the usual Gresty bad luck to me.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The problem with the 2nd goal was that the midfield, partcularly El Abd & Hammond had started to drop really deep and seemed to be playing right in front of Butters and Lynch. Any attack that was headed clear we had no-one to challenge for the ball in midfield and from a play like that they gained possession and scored.

Anyone notice that Lynch - either on his own initiative or on instruction is getting very far forward. 5-6 time in 2nd half he was up supporting the forwards - and not just from set pieces.

I thought Fraser and Whing looked OK and neither did I think Kerry had a bad game. His corners always caused their defence problems. One or two misplaced passes maybe, but he certainly wasn't alone in that.

Overall I have been far more depressed about a loss than I was yesterday; but unless we strengthen the midfield we aren't going anywhere this season.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Agree with most of the comments, team look up for it and so unlucky with some of the decisions. On the Team front, sort out the midfield, no way is Adam Al a midfielder, gave the ball away loads and silly freekicks and the least said about Mayo at left back, so Jakey on the right, Fraser in the middle and Rents left back then not a bad side.

The 'disalowed' goal was 2 foot over the line according to an Alex fan on the way out.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Those decisions sometimes go with you, sometimes against, I can remember us conceding one in front of the North Stand (think it was against Watford)...during a goalmouth melee the ball was definitely in the back of the net, one of our players hoofed it out and we played on...bizarrely they didn't appeal to the ref and just got on with the game.

BS, one of the highlights yesterday was how well Fraser and Whing worked together...that was a real positive, I would like to see that develop through the season, some of the crossing from the right wing was amongst the best I have seen since following the Albion...really hit the danger areas, a little more decisiveness from the forwards and we would have had them buried by half time.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
but what really disappointed me was Forster going straight down the tunnel at the end of the game and not acknowledging the fans. QUOTE]

I've noticed this often happens with new players, so I'm prepared to accept that Forster might not have realised that things are done differently at the Albion, I shall be expecting the clap from him at Tranmere[/B].

I believe he has now got rid of it, doubt you will get the clap from him now :jester:

everyone is picking on forster for leaving the pitch straight away, our Mr Butters did as well, he looked very angry as well :annoyed:) I cant blame any of the players for being pissed off, that decision at the end, not to give us a penalty was just plain silly

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Agree with most of above comments about the game. Other observations. Paul Reid was terrible when he came on. Clearly not match fit and his slip let in their winger for the winning goal. I agree that Frazer had to come off- he was clearly knackered as usual after 70 mins. Mr Wilkins a midfielder is a must before the window shuts. Overall we didn't deserve to lose. Good turn out from Albion fans but we didn't seem as noisy as usual. Maybe the hardcore support are on hols?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'll remind my mate who went to Forsters wedding a few weeks back about acknowledging us after away games - sure it was just ignorance however the other players should have told him.

Sounds like the usual Gresty bad luck to me.

Don't be a twat !

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Oh where to start, so p'd off already and the season is only 90 minutes old. We got off to quite a good start today,
Our heads seemed to drop from here on in, Crewe's midfield gradually took over and we seemed to see less and less of the ball, there were chances to both sides, though not much to trouble FDM.

So another defeat at Crewe, another joker of a ref and another match spoiled by over officious stewards yet again (though not sure if anyone got chucked out in the end today as they did last season). .

Sums it up for me

A friend who now lives in Chester had watched Crewe twice and reported to the Albion ..at half time he said if we cant beat them it will be a long hard season ..I think he will be right

Crewe we poor and yet got all three points ..if we dominate periods of play we must convert it into goals..I find it hard to believe we have failed to improve our weak midfield

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I think we missed Reid last season, he came on for the last 15 or 20 mins today, didn't have chance to change the course of the game but, as he gets more match practice, I hope that will help the midfield a bit.

El-Abd did ok today, got stuck in as he normally does. Fraser was a bit lightweight, I think he will come good but he's not experienced enough just yet. Unfortunately, Hammond had a pretty poor game in my opinion, the team never seem to do well when he fails to function and Cox, though he looked really dangerous in the first 20 minutes, then went completely out of the game until the last few minutes.

In reality the game could easily have gone either way today. I think if we'd not have conceded the penalty we could possibly have held on for a win and then everything may have looked completely different now.
To be honest the penalty did the damage.
It wasn't a penalty and shouldn't have been given, and without it, I'm absolutely convinced we would have gone in at the break 2 or 3 up.
They were shit, and we were actually playing well.
It was so one sided, for the first 25 minutes or so that I had neck ache due to constantly looking to my right.
Its no excuse though. We were unprofessional and the players heads went down after they equalised, which is stupid when you think how dominant we were at the time.

A little bit more professionalism and we could still have ripped them to pieces yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here