Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Awesome sight

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I have no doubt people who have fought in war recognize that reality. And I would imagine that they would be deeply moved by the site of a spitfire overhead.

But I cannot for the life of me imagine someone who fought in world war 2 looking up at a spitfire today and saying it looks "awesome", or having a giddy pride filled expression on their face.

Well that's where your wrong. My Grandfather was a Spitfire pilot during WWII. Despite the fact it terrified the shit out of him, his face beamed with pride when he saw and heard a Spitfire. Churchill's famous words say it all about the bravery of people like him and many of his mates who didn't come home. There is nothing more majestic in the skies than the sight and sound of a Spitfire.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Well that's where your wrong. My Grandfather was a Spitfire pilot during WWII. Despite the fact it terrified the shit out of him, his face beamed with pride when he saw and heard a Spitfire. Churchill's famous words say it all about the bravery of people like him and many of his mates who didn't come home. There is nothing more majestic in the skies than the sight and sound of a Spitfire.

Yes there is....................................
95616199_zTRgh-L.jpg

I salute your Grandfather..

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I remember that they flew over Withdean during one saturday match from south west to north east. Probably returning from Shoreham. I wasn't the only one watching them instead of the match.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Get a pretty good free air display most weekdays around these parts - Tornados out of Marham, F15s from Lakenheath and Typhoons from Coningsby all pass low overhead as they head over the North Sea and return later. Plus the odd Apache that suddenly pops up from behind a hedgerow and sometimes C130s doing very low level parachute cargo drops. Its a bit of a military anoraks paradise, but not for those of a nervous disposition especially when several planes light up their afterburners at the same time for simulated dogfights or rip through at low level, can feel like the roof is gonna come off the house. Its not everyones idea of fun and interesting to see visiting punters not used to it getting shaken rigid when it happens (snigger), but admit it's pretty impressive.

Err, yes. Pride is the opposite of humility.

Humility | Define Humility at Dictionary.com

Yes, I have shown little humility - towards those offended by my being offended by this thread.

You and the other "proud" posters in this thread have shown little humility - towards the tragedy of war.

You obviously did not understand my reply (as for humility, it is very difficult to define and dictionaries differ considerably, but I wont drag this out as it is proving futile).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Get a pretty good free air display most weekdays around these parts - Tornados out of Marham, F15s from Lakenheath and Typhoons from Coningsby all pass low overhead as they head over the North Sea and return later. Plus the odd Apache that suddenly pops up from behind a hedgerow and sometimes C130s doing very low level parachute cargo drops. Its a bit of a military anoraks paradise, but not for those of a nervous disposition especially when several planes light up their afterburners at the same time for simulated dogfights or rip through at low level, can feel like the roof is gonna come off the house. Its not everyones idea of fun and interesting to see visiting punters not used to it getting shaken rigid when it happens (snigger), but admit it's pretty impressive.

the test flights over Carmarthenshire is one of the things I miss about Wales
especially while up a tree pruning just a whisper hiss then bang.

the Vulcan was spectacular yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here