Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away Tickets Priority Scheme Next Season - Details

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I attended a very boring business seminar in London last night, however I was surprised to see our very own Ken Brown there who was coaxed into saying a few words about the AMEX and the club in general to the men in suits. As it was a non footballing audience it was all summary stuff about the club and the stadium and I didn't really learn much so in the break I took the chance to collar him.

He came across as a very genuine person and I asked him about the priority scheme for next season which he was happy to outline. It will be announced in at the end of May apparently. But the draft details still to be agreed by the board are as follows (as I remember them from last night).

- It will be a completely new scheme called Seagulls Away Club (Seagulls Army was ditched as sounding too violent, although Martin Perry was pushing it as he wanted people to earn their stripes!!).
- All 1901 and STH's will get instant free membership, non STH's will have to pay a "nominal" fee.
- There will be a points system which will work like this:
At the start of the year 1901 members will get 100 points, season ticket holders 50 points, others nothing. No points will be given for this year's history.
- During the season points will be awarded for attending home matches, and then a sliding scale of away matches. He suggested something like three geographic zones giving 1, 2 and 3 points. e,g Portsmouth would be one point, Carlisle three. Home game actual attendance would give one point.
- At the end of the season bonus points would be given to reward those STH's that had actually attended away matches, again in categories. e.g 1-4 matches: 10points, 5-10 20 points, 11-20 30 points, 20+ 40points.

The problem he said was that they had completely underestimated the 1901 demand and therefore started promising priority for away tickets for them expecting this would only take 400 not 2500. They have therefore devised the above scheme to give 1901 ers who go away the chance to do so whilst hoping those regular away attendees can catch up very quickly. Points will roll into the following season so a 1901er who didn't attend away games could easily be well down the queue very quickly. Can see it being a problem though if in the early fixtures we have a close biggish club away. Ken joked that hopefully the first few will be "unatractive" compared to home games!!

He also added that seats should be fully in place by Easter, although the East Stand would take a bit longer because they had slightly different designs. He wouldn't explain this!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
That sounds very complicated.

Also could sound the death knell for northern based non-STH supporters ever getting to London games again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At the start of the year 1901 members will get 100 points, season ticket holders 50 points, others nothing.

They have therefore devised the above scheme to give 1901 ers who go away the chance to do so whilst hoping those regular away attendees can catch up very quickly

Good informative stuff, thanks.

However, given the first line above I can't see how the second one will actually happen - it will take an age for a non season ticket holding regular away traveller to 'catch up' to 100 points. Even 'normal' season ticket holders will take some time to get to the 100 point mark.

april1.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hopefully extra bonus points will be awarded for away matches with uncovered seating on days when it is RAINING.

I'm fairly sure Brown mentioned this too. Probably.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Presumably April 1st, but would be happy with such a scheme apart from the gap between STH and 1901.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:clap2: That is a lot of detail for an April fools! :thumbsup:

although missed the part that the club actually drive 1901's to away games in a german luxury car of their choice...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

However, given the first line above I can't see how the second one will actually happen - it will take an age for a non season ticket holding regular away traveller to 'catch up' to 100 points. Even 'normal' season ticket holders will take some time to get to the 100 point mark.

I think that's the point of the end of season bonus. A 1901er not interested in away travel will soon be caught then.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
He forgot the bit about STHs getting extra points for distance travelled to home games. They would of course, get fewer points for some away games.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

If a regular non STH away fan who will go to 20 away matches next season will be on roughly 80-90 (40-50 for away matches plus 40 bonus) points for 2012/13 season, with a regular 1901er being on about 120 points - still quite a gap for season two

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Even if this is just a wind up, it does raise an interesting point. I assume what they are going to suggest is that to earn points you will have to book away games through the club....BUT what about places like Derby where the away section holds 4,000 people. There is no way we will sell that out, and therefore there will be pay on the day ( and I can imagine that for many clubs).

I take it therefore the points for going to an away game where you dont buy through the club will not count.

I know its a bit being a tight arse, but buying on the day has saved the £2.50 booking fee...if you do many away games in a season that can mount up.

Is this how away memberships happen at other clubs?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Ignoring the date. I thought this seasons ticket holders were getting extra points for the loyalty shown to do date? Sure that was a question at my presentation put to Martin Perry

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Even if this is just a wind up, it does raise an interesting point. I assume what they are going to suggest is that to earn points you will have to book away games through the club....BUT what about places like Derby where the away section holds 4,000 people. There is no way we will sell that out, and therefore there will be pay on the day ( and I can imagine that for many clubs).

I take it therefore the points for going to an away game where you dont buy through the club will not count.

I know its a bit being a tight arse, but buying on the day has saved the £2.50 booking fee...if you do many away games in a season that can mount up.

Is this how away memberships happen at other clubs?

We've had a whole thread on this very subject.

It is highly unlikely that there will be any Championship games where tickets are not sold at the club first so you take your choice, and the club have and will be clear about that...

- Buy from the club and have your 'loyalty' recorded.
- Assume it will go POTD and buy from the away club directly. Your loyalty won't be recorded.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We've had a whole thread on this very subject.

It is highly unlikely that there will be any Championship games where tickets are not sold at the club first so you take your choice, and the club have and will be clear about that...

- Buy from the club and have your 'loyalty' recorded.
- Assume it will go POTD and buy from the away club directly. Your loyalty won't be recorded.

Plus they're quite often cheaper in advance- they were for Oldham and Exeter.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Ignoring the date. I thought this seasons ticket holders were getting extra points for the loyalty shown to do date? Sure that was a question at my presentation put to Martin Perry

I don't know how many away tickets they sell at the club but, although I've been to 12 away games I only pre-bought tickets for 6 of them - and those were for the games I knew would sell out. As Granny Dave said above, why pay the extra booking fee when you don't have to? I doubt we're the only 2 that do this so any points awarded this year will be misleading. As for next year I can see the need to pre-book much more of these as they'll be more attractive venues and quite likely more people chasing the tickets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't know how many away tickets they sell at the club but, although I've been to 12 away games I only pre-bought tickets for 6 of them - and those were for the games I knew would sell out. As Granny Dave said above, why pay the extra booking fee when you don't have to? I doubt we're the only 2 that do this so any points awarded this year will be misleading. As for next year I can see the need to pre-book much more of these as they'll be more attractive venues and quite likely more people chasing the tickets.

Look, we don't know the terms of the scheme yet so you can speculate as much as you want on what, if any, 'loyalty' is carried forward into the new scheme starting next season.

But, it is very, very clear: from next season buy the tickets directly from the away club as POTD and your loyalty won't be recorded. Take that choice if you want to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here