Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away Ticket Prices

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Bozza said:
Anyone who has studied even a little bit of economics will know about supply and demand and the elasticity of demand to price changes.

The demand of away fans must be relatively inelastic in that regardless of the price, within reason, they will still make the purchase (of an away ticket).

The trouble is that economics makes a lot of assumption that do not necessarily hold true in the real World.

Yes, in basic economics we have simple straight lines to represent supply and demand, and as you say the elasticity of demand represents how greatly these are affected by prices changes.

But humans are more complicated than that. The basic economic model doesn't explain how pricing something ending in £9.99 works so well. Likewise, we have psycological barriers in our admission prices, and whether it be £25 or £30, more and more of us are hitting our barriers.

Also, I must say that I do not think football clubs understand the economics properly.

1. Too many clubs, particularly in the Premiership have empty seats, that could surely be filled if they lowered their price. If they feel they would have to lower the price too far to entice more in then fair enough, but is that REALLY what they have studied? I doubt it.

2. Taking advantage of the inelasticity of demand is fine, but I would expect that the customers with the greatest level of inelasticity would be the 20-25 year old who have high levels of disposable income, time on their hands, and no domestic responsibility. Well, this age group only develop their love for the club that creates this inelasticity by attending regularly in their early teens (certainly the case for me), but by pricing the early teens out of supporting clubs, means that we don't have them when they reach the age group of 20-25.

It's a very dangerous game, pricing future generations out of the game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, you are right, that is a fair point...

I suppose the last two home games realy got to me as I really thought it would be different this year, when actually it is not

:(

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
And yet in the Championship attendances are up .

Maybe more locals are watching Championship matches because the Prem clubs are so expensive.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:
Anyone who has studied even a little bit of economics will know about supply and demand and the elasticity of demand to price changes.

The demand of away fans must be relatively inelastic in that regardless of the price, within reason, they will still make the purchase (of an away ticket).

What does surprise me though is when people say something like "£28 - I'm not paying that." So would they pay £27? £25 maybe. Presumably £20 is ok?

Regardless, the ticket price is only part of the price of an away day - train ticket/bus fare/petrol, beers, food, more beers, programme and then some beer. If a ticket costs £20 or £30 does it really make *THAT* much difference to the total cost of your away day?!?

Bit patronising, I think people realise the economics of the situation but are just angry that clubs can so drastically change tickets prices from one game to the next.

Personally, I don't give a f*** and will pay a substantial amount over the ticket price for a palace ticket if I don't get a ticket straight off.

Luckily me Dad has hooked up a box for the scumhampton game so that's one less to worry about.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sheff Wed used to categorise games and cost them accordingly.
A B & C the derby match with Blades being category A every time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mr Popkins said:
ive said this season i will not spend anymore than £25 on a ticket

the bubble is starting to burst in football and we should all start voting with our feet.
Spot on. I can't afford to be a MUG anymore.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Simster said:
Spot on. I can't afford to be a MUG anymore.

Shut it Dimster;)

We all know you're a high earning contractor at Goldman Sachs:lolol: stump up the cash tight wad!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
We have no right to complain about the price of a ticket at away games.

We have been ripping off away fans ever since we've been at Withdean, with some of the most expensive prices in the league!

And they dont get a roof or a good view.

So FFS stop moaning about ticket prices :angry:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Lets be realistic,football in a whole is getting well to exspensive these days,been some bloody low crowds around so far???

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
A new rule brought in by the Football League this year means that clubs can charge away fans more than home fans for three games.

I have a Preston supporting mate, and it is going to cost away fans £22.50 to get in to Sheffield Utd, but home fans only £10. He says he is just going to go in with the home fans and he is sure many more will.

Last edited:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Gritt23 said:
The trouble is that economics makes a lot of assumption that do not necessarily hold true in the real World.

Yes, in basic economics we have simple straight lines to represent supply and demand, and as you say the elasticity of demand represents how greatly these are affected by prices changes.

But humans are more complicated than that. The basic economic model doesn't explain how pricing something ending in £9.99 works so well. Likewise, we have psycological barriers in our admission prices, and whether it be £25 or £30, more and more of us are hitting our barriers.

Also, I must say that I do not think football clubs understand the economics properly.

1. Too many clubs, particularly in the Premiership have empty seats, that could surely be filled if they lowered their price. If they feel they would have to lower the price too far to entice more in then fair enough, but is that REALLY what they have studied? I doubt it.

2. Taking advantage of the inelasticity of demand is fine, but I would expect that the customers with the greatest level of inelasticity would be the 20-25 year old who have high levels of disposable income, time on their hands, and no domestic responsibility. Well, this age group only develop their love for the club that creates this inelasticity by attending regularly in their early teens (certainly the case for me), but by pricing the early teens out of supporting clubs, means that we don't have them when they reach the age group of 20-25.

Say that again?

Last edited:

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Getting too expensive for me. With a young son and a second on the way I will want to start taking them soon. It costs me about £35 on average for an away game, ticket priced at £20. Add on two juniors and my wife, and that soon becomes £75. Doesn't take much to work out I will have to make do with 5 games a season rather than 14.

Alternatively I could travel 5 miles down the road, watch non-league football all in for £20 for the four of us.

The problem is I don't want to watch Leek Town, I support the Albion.:(

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Perry Milkins said:
Say that again?

Ok.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Gritt23 said:
Ok.

Thank you. I was taught about the concept of 'Elasticity of Demand' through the thought of consuming Mars Bars walking down Millers road.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here