Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away goals bollocks

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
If Arsenal are to score now and the full time score is 1-0 (1-1 agg), 30 minutes of extra time will be played.

If the score at the end of this is 2-1 to Arsenal (2-2 agg) Wigan would win on away goals after having 30 minutes extra than Arsenal to score an away goal.

This is clearly unfair. The away goals rule should be applied only after two lots of 90 minutes, and if the scores are still level extra time should be played.

Apparently Niall Quinn just mentioned this too. It is ridiculous. :censored: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yeah it's a load of bollocks. It should be after the two 90s or not at all. :shootself

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Didn't we get screwed out of a League Cup win against Northampton (when we were playing at Pissfilled) because of the away goal rule? I seem to recall that the away goal rule has changed since that year-probably a wine induced memory malfunction....

We wuz robbed!

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Keep replaying until there is a result. Use neutral grounds after both teams have played at home. I don't care how many matches it takes. Now there's a novel idea. I wonder if it will catch on.

Football is a game where goals are scored during time of play, not penalties after the game. Why bother with ninety minutes plus thirty? Maybe the pools panel could predict which replays are likely to finish all square, and save all the bother of a match. Just launch straight in to penalties.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
just double the size of the goals before extra time starts, you are then guaranteed goals, and both teams will have to play to score.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
nobody's dupe said:
Keep replaying until there is a result. Use neutral grounds after both teams have played at home. I don't care how many matches it takes. Now there's a novel idea. I wonder if it will catch on.

Football is a game where goals are scored during time of play, not penalties after the game. Why bother with ninety minutes plus thirty? Maybe the pools panel could predict which replays are likely to finish all square, and save all the bother of a match. Just launch straight in to penalties.

They used to do this, if you remember the games against Palace at Stamford Bridge in the 70s when Allan Mullery threw a handfull of loose change on the ground in front of their fans saying 'thats what you are worth'. The police have taken over and stopped replays by saying that they need 10 days notice to arrange overtime for their officers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have had this theory for ages about penalties. Both teams take them either before the game or their substitutes take them at halftime. When it gets to extra time one team knows that if it stays the same they have won the other one will go like f..k and throw caution to the wind to score a goal as they are on their way out.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Originally posted by BensGrandad They used to do this . . . . . . .

You don't say. What will they think of next?

Don't tell me this habit of penalty shoot-outs was copied from abroad. That would really rub salt in to the wound.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Who cares? It doesn't concern Brighton.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
BensGrandad said:
I have had this theory for ages about penalties. Both teams take them either before the game or their substitutes take them at halftime. When it gets to extra time one team knows that if it stays the same they have won the other one will go like f..k and throw caution to the wind to score a goal as they are on their way out.
Yeah, that would do it, anything to make the extra time period have to lead to goals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I; like the half time substitutes idea as most clubs would then name a goalkeeper and 4 outfield players.if it was 5 penalties both goalkeepers would have to take a penalty. If still level 5 all carry on in the same original orderyakinga 2nd or even 3rd penalty if needed until sudden death.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
BensGrandad said:

That's the biggest load of bollox I've heard for ages

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
fatboy said:
If Arsenal are to score now and the full time score is 1-0 (1-1 agg), 30 minutes of extra time will be played.

If the score at the end of this is 2-1 to Wigan (2-2 agg) Wigan would win on away goals after having 30 minutes extra than Arsenal to score an away goal.

Something wrong with your maths Slim. If the game were to finish 2-1 to Wigan they would go through winning 3-1 on aggregate.

I think what you meant to say was that if Wigan drew level 1-1 . . . . . .

dougdeep doesn't care a toss anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here