Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Away Games Etiquette

AberdeenSeagull

Aug 5, 2024
Hi all , albion fan who has been living in Aberdeen last 10 years, now back in Sussex and going to my first away game with my son against Everton August 17th (first away game since league 1 days), just wondering what current albion away game etiquette is regarding seats, do most people still sit wherever they want first come first serve for away games, or now in the premier league do most people sit in their allocated ticketed seats?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi all , albion fan who has been living in Aberdeen last 10 years, now back in Sussex and going to my first away game with my son against Everton August 17th (first away game since league 1 days), just wondering what current albion away game etiquette is regarding seats, do most people still sit wherever they want first come first serve for away games, or now in the premier league do most people sit in their allocated ticketed seats?
Most games sell out these days, so use allocated seats. A few groups here and there will be probably be squeezed in (much to the annoyance of everyone around them)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
And there we have it folks.
The 'I can't get a ticket for a game yet I've supported the Albion for ten years' theory knocked on the head.
In reply, there are groups who get together in the middle to sing. Other than that it's generally own seats. But remember it will be all standing so if your son is young you may be better trying to get to the front. My mate has to sit and we book as near to the front as we can and then I find supporters who are only to willing to give up a front seat for two OAP's

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Me and my boy sit (stand) in our own seats. It’s what we do.

Yes, groups standing where they like does improve singing I know that but it’s fundamentally wrong.

Standing where you like gives prime positions to groups or individuals usually pissed and/or coked up and any resistance results in confrontation. It also leaves those that don’t want the aggro relegated to inferior positions/areas in the ground often in a seat the the rightful owner will in turn want, again resulting in confrontation. At 57 I can’t be arsed anymore. Like it or not sit in the right fuckin seat, it’s not hard.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Except at Goodison, because the sight lines from 50% of the seats in the away section are so shite.
I would have used “especially”. Goodson has good view seats and bad view seats. It would be extremely bad form to move from a bad to a good one.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I would have used “especially”. Goodson has good view seats and bad view seats. It would be extremely bad form to move from a bad to a good one.
Well, it would indeed be bad form. I used ‘except’ because all 3 times I’ve been I had to extricate chancers from my good view seat. It’s the only ground where I have a 100% record of needing to do that.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Nothing to add to what others have said except that I find getting to my seat earlier sometimes reduces the hassle of people taking "my" seat but generally it's not a problem regardless, and when people have done so they move if asked (in my personal experience). I was lucky to go to almost all league and domestic cup aways last season, and really the only game I had a problem was one of the Sheffield United games when there were about 8...erm... "energised" blokes in their 20s crammed into the three seats to my left at one point, constantly pushing sideways and being deliberately over the top knocking into those of us in our own seats to try and take over. After a couple of minutes I politely asked them to stop, was ignored, and a fan more up for an argument than I was then had a quiet chat with them. A few heated words and all of them moved thankfully.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Me and my boy sit (stand) in our own seats. It’s what we do.

Yes, groups standing where they like does improve singing I know that but it’s fundamentally wrong.

Standing where you like gives prime positions to groups or individuals usually pissed and/or coked up and any resistance results in confrontation. It also leaves those that don’t want the aggro relegated to inferior positions/areas in the ground often in a seat the the rightful owner will in turn want, again resulting in confrontation. At 57 I can’t be arsed anymore. Like it or not sit in the right fuckin seat, it’s not hard.
Some Albion mates went to the Euros and this was the tale at every game. Never mind not just sitting in their own seats but many had seats in totally different parts of the ground and had coordinated ' pushes ' to work their round to England sections. Once there they sat wherever they wanted and it was subtle bullying when met with any resistance. " Come on mate we're all England mates together aren't we? ". In particular the final was chaotic with aisles and gangways rammed. Never mind needing a piss my mates said it would have been nigh impossible to get to anyone had they had a medical emergency.

Not for me!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Stand by your seat and pray you're not nobhead adjacent, is.my usual technique. I've got a good hit rate to be fair. Just try and avoid the cokey groups of lads. In my experience they tend to congregate near the concourse exit / entry seats and in thr middle of away ends. Easy access to the bar I presume.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stand by your seat and pray you're not nobhead adjacent, is.my usual technique. I've got a good hit rate to be fair. Just try and avoid the cokey groups of lads. In my experience they tend to congregate near the concourse exit / entry seats and in thr middle of away ends. Easy access to the bar I presume.
I usually go to my seat pretty early (I like watching the warm-up anyway), the groups you mention also all tend to pile in just before kick off

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
As if you can actually sit in the seats at Goodison 😁I can only imagine when they put those seats in,they were designed by Kenyan long distance runners or umpalumpas.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I usually go to my seat pretty early (I like watching the warm-up anyway), the groups you mention also all tend to pile in just before kick off
At the Southampton boxing day game a couple of seasons back there was a gang lads who never made it out of the concourse. They seemed to just be in the middle of a 4 day bender. Inconvenienced by a stadium getting in the way. They seemed to be having a ball to be fair to them. The-still-young-enough-to-get-away-with-it gits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here