Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away fans local beers

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, we will make it into the Europa League, draw some Belgium side like Genk and get Stella Artois in the stadium.

Worth going in the away end for that one.
I imagine it would be Maes Pils, since Alken-Maes sponsor Genk's stadium.

The Alken-Maes brewery is owned by the Heineken Group.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
There used to be a company called the Beer Seller who delivered beer (real ale) all over the country for all sorts of brewers. Not sure if they are still called that, but I dont think they were particularly unique.

The two biggest firms, Waverley and The Beer Seller merged into Waverley TBS and supply pretty much every licensed premises in the country. If we end up in the same division next season I pray Albion get us a beer from Meantime (brewery until very recently located 200 yards from The Valley) - Dark Star can get them if Waverley can't. I have grim visions of that pigswill London Pride being lazily offered up to every capital team :(

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think it's a great idea and I'm surprised they don't sell more of the away beer in the home end. After all, if there is a new beer every week for the home fans, they're more likely to want to give it a go and try it as they may not have had it before. Which presumably would translate to more sales.

It is a great idea but Azure can't even get enough local beer in so they don't run out after every game. Went over to WSL on Saturday-kiosks were out of Harvey's. Off to North Stand, massive queues at the west end so off to the east end. Ran out of Harvey's. They did manage to find another barrel but it took ages.

They really are incapable of providing additional beers for home fans

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As much as a enjoy my pint of Harvey's before the game, it would be quite nice to try the beers that are provided to the away fans.

What better opportunity to do a real ale tour of England without leaving the Amex.
How about sticking a barrel or two in the home fans concourses.

We could then vote for best opposition beer at end of season.:cheers:

I don't drink beer, but top quality suggestion, I applaud you sir for your very original idea.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do people really go for this as a good idea?

For me the appeal of going to away matches is getting to try the local beers from around the club I'm visiting. I'd hate it if all that was available were the same beers that I'd get at home.

It's called hospitality? Do you know what that is?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hopefully, in the not too distant future, we will make it into the Europa League, draw some Belgium side like Genk and get Stella Artois in the stadium.

I can't believe you mention Stella in Belgium beer! Ok I'm no longer a beer drinker but the strong Abbot lagers that the Belgiums brew is 10 notches up from Stella! Go to the chain of restaurants called Belge and drink real, and I mean real, Belgium beer... best in the world, in my humble opinion.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

:lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As much as a enjoy my pint of Harvey's before the game, it would be quite nice to try the beers that are provided to the away fans.

What better opportunity to do a real ale tour of England without leaving the Amex.
How about sticking a barrel or two in the home fans concourses.

We could then vote for best opposition beer at end of season.:cheers:

They already do this in Dick's bar. Had a nice pint of Hurley's Irish Ale (brewed in Hartlepool) in there yesterday.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The two biggest firms, Waverley and The Beer Seller merged into Waverley TBS and supply pretty much every licensed premises in the country. If we end up in the same division next season I pray Albion get us a beer from Meantime (brewery until very recently located 200 yards from The Valley) - Dark Star can get them if Waverley can't. I have grim visions of that pigswill London Pride being lazily offered up to every capital team :(

Previously I am sure it was stated the away beers are arranged by Dark Star who now supply the concourses with Hop Head, I would be amazed if they pick London Pride over Meantime, however I would not mind Pride as an option in most away football ground concourses....

Like many have said I also would love to see the away options in the home concourses as well. But then a beer festival at most home games would not go a miss....

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
It's called hospitality? Do you know what that is?

Whoa! Why so prickly?!?

Of course I do - the point I was making was that when travelling away I prefer to sample different beers from those I get at home. Variety the spice of life and all that .....

Boracayseagull

Mar 24, 2012
From someone in the Philippines who can only get san miguel beer, any real ale would be great and all this talk make me miss a pint of Harveys!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There used to be a company called the Beer Seller who delivered beer (real ale) all over the country for all sorts of brewers. Not sure if they are still called that, but I dont think they were particularly unique.

Azure are tied to a company who can only provide certain beers, they say, though they ignore that in order to get Dark Star in.

Hence, when Wrexham fans wanted Wrexham Lager, they couldn't because it was not on the list. They ended up with Brains - which was perfectly quaffable, but brewed in Cardiff. Well, it's Welsh isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here