Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away fans capacity at Falmer?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i wonder at times how 2000 away fans at brighton station at 1pm are going to get there along with all the BHA fans.......in the few trains / without trouble.

surely away fans will be kept in for a good 20 mins each game.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
i wonder at times how 2000 away fans at brighton station at 1pm are going to get there along with all the BHA fans.......in the few trains / without trouble.

surely away fans will be kept in for a good 20 mins each game.

Surely half of the away support will come by coach? 30 spaces in the coach park will accomodate 1,500 away fans!!

wodge

Nov 15, 2009
Thanks. I'm being hyper critical but it's a shame both the "ends" are so small. Many away teams would have brought more than 2500 fans. The club will miss out on that revenue.

Do we really want 4 or 5 thousand away fans roaring their team on though??

Also giving them only 2500 means they might fill the away end every time they visit, not just the first time.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Anyone know what % of the stadium we are supposed to provide for away fans for a normal league match? I thought it was 10%

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks. I'm being hyper critical but it's a shame both the "ends" are so small. Many away teams would have brought more than 2500 fans. The club will miss out on that revenue.

just asked a Leicester fan, reckons they have 2500 - 3000 set aside for away fans. its a lot easier to get to Leicester for many away travellers (lots of derby games). so i dont think we'd miss out, and i'd rather allow locals to get in than foreigners.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Yes. Not my exact point though, just an example.

Because we are so near London, where so many exiled fans live and work, the majority of clubs in the Championship and some in our league, could potentially, bring more than 2500 fans. Off the top of my head, Charlton, Southampton, Portsmouth, Cardiff, QPR, Norwich, Derby, Watford, Ipswich, Leeds, Forest, Millwall, Leicester, Reading, Bristol City & Palace of course.

It does seem the club may well miss out on revenue due to the size of the away end for league games.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3786031 said:

I can't tell if that was sarcastic or not. The way the planning system works I fully expect the club to be given permission to fill the corners in a few years if we need the extra capacity. There will be access issues to look at with increased visitor numbers but that's about it.

The stadium was obviously designed with expandability in mind rather than being a finished article that we are stuck with.

wodge

Nov 15, 2009
Because we are so near London, where so many exiled fans live and work, the majority of clubs in the Championship and some in our league, could potentially, bring more than 2500 fans. Off the top of my head, Charlton, Southampton, Portsmouth, Cardiff, QPR, Norwich, Derby, Watford, Ipswich, Leeds, Forest, Millwall, Leicester, Reading, Bristol City & Palace of course.

It does seem the club may well miss out on revenue due to the size of the away end for league games.

For every club that could sell more than 2500 they'll be another club that won't sell it's allocation. You could argue that empty seats would cost the club money.

Anyway it's our ground so f*** 'em :amex:

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
It's difficult to get these things right as we can only predict what league(s) we will most be spending our near future in, and there's such a huge variation in levels of away support.

I think the current away stand size of the Amex is reasonable for now.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
just asked a Leicester fan, reckons they have 2500 - 3000 set aside for away fans. its a lot easier to get to Leicester for many away travellers (lots of derby games). so i dont think we'd miss out, and i'd rather allow locals to get in than foreigners.

We're probably only talking about another 500 seats then. I'd have no argument with 3000.
I think having a lot of away fans is a good thing & helps creates a real atmosphere which after the sterility of Withdean I am looking forward to.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

how will they miss out? every match will be oversubscribed for home fans initially, so why should we let in loads of away fans when the seats could be filled with us lot?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
how will they miss out? every match will be oversubscribed for home fans initially, so why should we let in loads of away fans when the seats could be filled with us lot?

The first game will sell out but I don't think you can say every match will be oversubscribed, even initially.

The point is quite straight forward: several clubs would be able to bring 3000 + fans to Falmer but can't because the away end's capacity is only 2500. The club will therefore lose out on potential revenue.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The first game will sell out but I don't think you can say every match will be oversubscribed, even initially.

The point is quite straight forward: several clubs would be able to bring 3000 + fans to Falmer but can't because the away end's capacity is only 2500. The club will therefore lose out on potential revenue.

You're inventing a problem where there isn't one.

The stadium is much more flexible than you are suggesting. The away end is specifically designed so that it can be split into different ratios of away/home, with separate entrances and catering facilities, for those occassions when the away support is low.

Similarly a section of the East is designed in the same way as a dedicated overspill area to accomodate the additional 50% away provision required by FA Cup rules. If a league game saw the circumstance you suggest; high away demand coupled with a non-capacity home demand, then obviously this extra capacity COULD be used.

Anyway, carry on...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I think you'll be suprised - There's no way, for instance, that we (Derby) would bring anything like that unless it was big end of season Saturday game or something. While we obviously get the big home crowds, our away following isn't all that. Vice versa for the red dogs and Leeds. I don't think the correlation at this level between home and away support is always straightforward, probably because mosy people can't/won't go to footy every single week.

I went to a presentation today at the Amex and Martin Perry stated 10% of the capacity will be allocated to away fans. I think this is a requirement that the football league applies then any left overs can possibly come back to the club? He also confirmed there will be 15,500 season tickets available for sale.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

The stadium is much more flexible than you are suggesting. The away end is specifically designed so that it can be split into different ratios of away/home, with separate entrances and catering facilities, for those occassions when the away support is low.

Similarly a section of the East is designed in the same way as a dedicated overspill area to accomodate the additional 50% away provision required by FA Cup rules. If a league game saw the circumstance you suggest; high away demand coupled with a non-capacity home demand, then obviously this extra capacity COULD be used.

Anyway, carry on...

The voice of reason as usual.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Anyway, carry on...

I was unaware of this so good to know. I stand corrected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here