Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Away fans at Southampton

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I could not see whether this had been mentioned before and can’t the recall the recent thread that talked about Barber’s comments on the club thinking about a possible move of away fans.
Looking at photos of away fans on social media, like you do on a Sunday morning, I see Southampton have done it for this season. Away fans are now at the opposite corner of the ground and are properly in the corner and side of the pitch., ie nowhere near the goal. Obviously easier to achieve in a stadium bowl. They’ve installed safe standing behind the main goal and people have been encouraged to fill the vacant away fans gap to improve the atmosphere. Not sure how effective that was yesterday with them playing Forest. But a consideration of moving away fans at the Amex is it might create an opportunity to have a better singing section somewhere in the ground where those season ticket holders who want to stand and sing could congregate and those STHs who are displaced could move to seats that singers and away fans move from.

HyperTony

May 20, 2023
I mentioned this to some Saints fans and the reply was it made no difference based on where they were in the ground. I think they've stuck away fans on the railway line side which means you won't be kettled out through the Northam Bridge exit but join the masses up the stairs (i assume)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Similarly to away fans at the Amex

I can’t find it now but on either Twitter or FB yesterday some season ticket holders in the South West corner were discussing being told by a steward that the move had been agreed for certain next season with away fans being moved to the SWC

I recall there was a suggestion but assume no official comms and the steward guessing as much as anyone else

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Believe PB and others have said publicly they want to move away fans from behind the goal. It will happen eventually I imagine but will take some logistics.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A shame about Southampton. In the old away end the fans either side of us sung and there was always some “cheeky banter” (@Herr Tubthumper ).

I’m guessing it’ll be a little more sanitised now, and I’m also guessing that’s what they’re after.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A shame about Southampton. In the old away end the fans either side of us sung and there was always some “cheeky banter” (@Herr Tubthumper ).

I’m guessing it’ll be a little more sanitised now, and I’m also guessing that’s what they’re after.
:nono:

abc

Jan 6, 2007

In the old away end at the Dell you could only see half the pitch from much of it!

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
IMG_4789.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I mentioned this to some Saints fans and the reply was it made no difference based on where they were in the ground. I think they've stuck away fans on the railway line side which means you won't be kettled out through the Northam Bridge exit but join the masses up the stairs (i assume)

They’ve a relegation team/squad. The fans can see that. Making a dire match experience.

As with the Albion, imho, quality of player and stemming from that home goals drive the crowd atmosphere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Similarly to away fans at the Amex

I can’t find it now but on either Twitter or FB yesterday some season ticket holders in the South West corner were discussing being told by a steward that the move had been agreed for certain next season with away fans being moved to the SWC

I recall there was a suggestion but assume no official comms and the steward guessing as much as anyone else
This one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here