Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away Days... Waste of Time

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I'm sure many of us have watched the Albion away and thought why did I bother due to:
1) Crap performance

2) Deserved to win and lost

3) Horrible weather, and to somewhere at the back of beyond etc., etc.

My wasted away day - Halifax (April 2001), got to the Shay to find the rugby posts still in place from the previous evening's game. :ohmy: Then told game off due to waterlogged pitch.

But, please, spare a thought for 5 Geordie fans who travelled down to Highfield Road to watch Newcastle against Coventry (c. 1970/80s).

After their long journey arrived to be told that the game was being played at St.James's Park!

So, have you got any wonderful, wasted away day stories to tell?

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Sunderland away a couple of years back when we were in the championship. Think we lost 2 -0 ,but driving there and back in the same day is not recommended.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I also went to that Halifax game. The worst one for me where I watched the match was Huddersfield where we lost 7-1. The roadworks were dreadful and we only just arrived in time for kick off on a Tuesday night, saw us concede a penalty, Kuipers sent off and the awful Smith in goal. The rest as they say is history.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reading @ Elm Park.
We might have lost 4-0.

Shocking truly shocking performance, I doubt we were still in Berkshire by the final whistle.

Oh and Mr Wendel was the only gramophone record Radio 1 possessed that day.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
West Ham last season was grim.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bristol Rovers a couple of years ago......I was actually inside the ground when they called it off.

Although I did nip down to Ikea for some meatballs and chips (gravy and berry sauce) so every cloud.......

Oh and losing 5-0 at Selhurst was a bit rubbish.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Huddersfield (1-7) would be up there. Couple of trips to Hartlepool in recent seasons have been dismal too. Crap place, long journey, rubbish performances both times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Couple of trips to Hartlepool in recent seasons have been dismal too. Crap place, long journey, rubbish performances both times.
Could be a while before that fixture crops up again.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Huddersfield (1-7) would be up there. Couple of trips to Hartlepool in recent seasons have been dismal too. Crap place, long journey, rubbish performances both times.

Good food though. Their hotdogs are world class! The 3-1 defeat there last time was my only visit, via the Lovebus. The Peterborough services were glorious!

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010

I remember this one very well! Turned into a piss-take really as people around me chanted we want 8 and took their picture with the score on the screens behind them. Oh the days of Slade and (Graeme) Smith!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Another Reading game where we lost 5-1 when Sidwell dived for a penalty and dived again to get Gary Elphick sent off.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Norwich away (FA Cup I think) around 2003? - one of those horrible fixtures between Xmas & New Year. I hired a minibus for a load of us, it snowed all the way, stood in a frozen stand until 15:45 - still no game to watch, they finally called it off due to floodlight failure! Couldn't even drown sorrows as I was DES!! I remember Norwich offering all Albion fans a "free hot drink" if you came back to the rearranged midweek fixture - no thanks!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Boundary Park. Oldham 6 - 1 Albion

Birthday weekend. 500+mile round trip in a Fiat Uno. Plastic pitch. Chuffing freezing. Ex-Albion player hatrick (Ritchie). Worst "meat" and potato pie in the world ever. Alternator went on the way home.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Norwich away (FA Cup I think) around 2003? - one of those horrible fixtures between Xmas & New Year. I hired a minibus for a load of us, it snowed all the way, stood in a frozen stand until 15:45 - still no game to watch, they finally called it off due to floodlight failure! Couldn't even drown sorrows as I was DES!! I remember Norwich offering all Albion fans a "free hot drink" if you came back to the rearranged midweek fixture - no thanks!!

Mr Carrow has left the ground.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Boundary Park. Oldham 6 - 1 Albion

Birthday weekend. 500+mile round trip in a Fiat Uno. Plastic pitch. Chuffing freezing. Ex-Albion player hatrick (Ritchie). Worst "meat" and potato pie in the world ever. Alternator went on the way home.
I might have been at that one, or it might have been Bolton.

One guy I was going with wanted his stereo in the car.
He changed them going up the A23, fused it, and we did the whole journey with no background noise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here