Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AVG free

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Biscuit said:
WHAT THE f***-ING HELL IS THAT!
WHAT THE f***ing, WHAT THE f***ing, WHAT THE f***ing HELL IS THAT!

google search ya moron :D

used AVG once and it seemed alright, until I tried playing EverQuestII and it would'nt let me! Norton works decently on my PC so thats good enough for me. Every PC is different and virus/firewall programs react differently to everything, just try it out and see what happens is my advice!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I use AVG on one PC and Norton on the others. I have never had a problem with AVG and it certainly doesn't seem to slow things down the way Norton does. The only drawback is a general unease over relying on something that doesn't cost you anything.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I use AVG and a ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Happy with both

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Use it on mine and have no problems running with it at all. Its not system resource intensive like Norton's and regularly updateable. *Touch wood* i haven't had a virus get past it and its grabbed 2 or 3 that have been incoming. Only problem i do encounter is with its email scanner. Doesn't like to work in conjunction with mailwasher for some reason, but its no biggy tbh.

Grizz

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Buzza said:

Happy with both

Same here on both my PC's never had a problem and I find that AVG gets updates out faster then some of the paid for virus checkers.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Not a bad little program, and easy on the system resources which is always good.

I recently downloaded a trial of NOD32 as I've been relying on AVG for several years now and felt it was time to give something else a go.

NOD32 is a bit cooler and slightly more integrated with Windows, but you do have to pay for it (unless you were to p2p it but that would be immoral of course).

Never had any troubles with AVG though. I don't think there's a better free alternative

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
AVG has my vote as well.
I supplement it with an online scan every 4 - 6 weeks at panda or trend, but nothing has slipped by AVG yet that the others have found.

Word of warning, Never install more than one anti virus proggie on your PC at the same time.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Wardywonderland said:
Same here on both my PC's never had a problem and I find that AVG gets updates out faster then some of the paid for virus checkers.

how do you know that?They could be playing catch up intead.Some of these top viruses always seem to try and hack Nortons and not others.If you use all the programs for Nortons it tends to slow your pc down alot.I use McAfee

Last edited:

Crisp

Jul 11, 2003
Salisbury
Buzza said:

Happy with both

Same here - been using AVG for a couple of years now and it's always done the job for me.
A couple of minuses:
The free edition isn't very configurable, so you can only schedule a full disc scan every day at a certain time.
If you've got multiple users on XP, then the email scanner doesn't like it

But apart from that, it sits on my pc trapping viruses and regularly updating itself quietly in the background.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
binky said:
AVG has my vote as well.
I supplement it with an online scan every 4 - 6 weeks at panda or trend, but nothing has slipped by AVG yet that the others have found.

Word of warning, Never install more than one anti virus proggie on your PC at the same time.

not strictly true - you can have a trojan scanner working alongside it (and probably should) I've been using Ewido which is also free and between them have no problems.

Used to run Norton internet security but got completely fed up with it due to its resource grabbing and had some problems with the firewall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here