Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Average attendance when we get falmer

Willow said:
I seem to remember in previous discussion on this, someone was saying tickets won't ever be available on the gate at Falmer. They must be bought in advance. They CAN be bought on the day, just not at the ground.

I hope I'm wrong on this. ???
Evidence given at the Public Inquiry was that there will be a number of ticket outlets - including Southern Railway ticket offices.

The travel plan requires that there are no sales at the ground.

And before anyone complains ... no travel plan = no stadium.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I dont seewhy you think we will get 10,000 odd in div 2 if we went down?
we ere bearly getting 5500 at withdean this year in some games

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Willow said:
I seem to remember in previous discussion on this, someone was saying tickets won't ever be available on the gate at Falmer. They must be bought in advance. They CAN be bought on the day, just not at the ground.

I think they were looking at tickets being available from train stations.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
11k if we are lucky

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This business about not selling tickets on the day is all crap. You are certianly going to drive away people who will want to turn up and get in.

If I am away on business, i have never been turned away from a ground if I wanted to see a game..be it Aston Villa, liverpool, leeds, coventry or wherever.

It is just something else we football fans have to put up with to appease bloody NIMBY's, like not been able to park anywhere near withdean for example, when someone can park outside my house whenever they want.

Why is everything these days such a bloody hassle

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I appreciate you may be able to buy them at train stations but again that is just hassle and people will think "ah what the hell"

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
With the not be able to buy tickets as well, you have lots of people that play sat league football with games being called off at last min they cant just nip down to the ground and get a ticket the club are losing money this way its stupid.
Why cant they just sell them from the club van?
Even if they just sell 2 or 3 its still 60 pounds

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Will match tickets be available from Falmer station, or just interchanges (Brighton, Lewes, Heywards Heath)?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I don't understand the logic that says if you don't sell tickets at the ground then everyone will use public transport??

The fact that there is going to to be very limited parking at Falmer is going to make people travel by Train/Bus.

Just because a ticket is available from a Station there is nothing to stop someone pulling up outside a station and buying a ticket and then driving to the ground?

Also this will make it near impossible to sell out. Due to spare tickets being left at South Ease etc...

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
From where I live for an evening game the best I can do by train is to get to Falmer by 8:06. By car I can be there by 6:45.

Going home - car 11:30, train 01:02

Which am I going to choose?

So if I decide at the last minute that the midweek game at home to Rochdale is too attractive to miss after all then I have to try and find somewhere to park at, say, Brighton station to buy a ticket. :rolleyes:

OK I'm not local so I'm an exception but similar cases can be made for more local destinations. I'm not really complaining but trying to illustrate how inconvenient Falmer is going to be.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
m20gull said:
From where I live for an evening game the best I can do by train is to get to Falmer by 8:06. By car I can be there by 6:45.

Going home - car 11:30, train 01:02

Which am I going to choose?

So if I decide at the last minute that the midweek game at home to Rochdale is too attractive to miss after all then I have to try and find somewhere to park at, say, Brighton station to buy a ticket. :rolleyes:

OK I'm not local so I'm an exception but similar cases can be made for more local destinations. I'm not really complaining but trying to illustrate how inconvenient Falmer is going to be.

The point is constantly being made by the club that the potential of this club is huge. This is based on the fact that Brighton has a very large catchment area. If we are going to attract more fans from some of these further reaches of Sussex then we need to make it as easy as possible for them to get to games. Not alienate them.

Yoda

English & European
kinkygerbil said:
we ere bearly getting 5500 at withdean this year in some games

That's because people work on the assumption that the match will sell out and so don't bother to apply for tickets.

Aug 21, 2003
birmingham
Yoda said:
That's because people work on the assumption that the match will sell out and so don't bother to apply for tickets.
but you can do what i do if i know i'm coming down i'll phone the ticket office on the friday and arrange to pick the ticket up at the ground. why is that so hard?? and i've only ever not been able to get a ticket and that was boxing day. which is why i wondered how many we'll get at falmer, be a right good laugh having every team sing "thers no-one there" at us

Surely we should look at similar size level clubs that have relocated to new stadiums ie Reading, Hull to see that attendances will improve because of, and not in spite of, a new stadium.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not wanting to still up a hornets nest here, but if we had a stadium which has enough space for parking, this would cease to be so much of a problem. There is simply not enough parking space at Falmer and this WILL impact attendances

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
65% in Sussex go to work by car. Although this is less in Brighton itself it is more in outside places. The transport policy would be regarded as an oustanding change of habits if less than 50% went to the game by public transport (in the short term, translate to medium term by the time it is built).

I think the graph (cf. Reading) may show a rather small build up in additional support because there has been a long period in the doldrums (translate, mostly in the doldrums with a small period of success).

I think this will happen because of ticket prices, transport premiums and because Falmer is a bit awkward for some people (only 20% at most). Not having pay on the day, from past experience will knock off 25% of the attendance for ordinary games. I expect the rise will be comparable to Readings.

There is a big IF .....

Last edited:

The Orange Seagull

Time Traveller
Jul 8, 2004
Stuck in the 80's
We will sellout game after game and it wouldnt be long before we are pestering the council about permission for a new stadium to be built in stanmer park because Falmer just aint big enough anymore for a club with aspirations of the premiership.........cue years of demos,enquiries,silence from JP etc etc..............:ohmy: blimey was i talking in my sleep again?..............I must stay off the :drink: ...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here