Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Average Albion Weekly Wage 1979/80 to 2022/23

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nobby, Wardy, Lawro and Co were on an average of £350 a week when the Albion were first in the old top division in 1979/80. Things have changed a bit since then.

1723815953937.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Who is included to get that average? Named first team squad members ?

Isn’t it usually the crude total payroll cost less directors pay per the published accounts, divided by first team squad members? The only factual information available.

Unless @El Presidente then makes an estimated deduction for other staff payroll costs?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who is included to get that average? Named first team squad members ?
Does it really matter if it includes, say, U21s or not? It's a ball park figure, and shows a whole lot of dosh!

What is more significant is that back in 79-80, they were on 5 or 6X what I was on; now it's well over 100X. :( OK, I'm a pensioner now, but it's still :(

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
@El Presidente gives us sausages and people immediately ask for gravy. And onions.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nobby, Wardy, Lawro and Co were on an average of £350 a week when the Albion were first in the old top division in 1979/80. Things have changed a bit since then.

View attachment 187263

How does that £352 per week that a top division footballer was earning in 1980 compare to the weekly wage of the average person back then? And the £59k per week they earn now in the same context?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How does that £352 per week that a top division footballer was earning in 1980 compare to the weekly wage of the average person back then? And the £59k per week they earn now in the same context?
Average weekly wage in 1981 = £140

Average weekly wage in 2024 = £690

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Average weekly wage in 1981 = £140

Average weekly wage in 2024 = £690

Thanks. I realise footballer wages will have risen out of all proportion to the average wage since the PL TV deals, but I was curious as to how well off a First Division footballer would have been considered in 1980.

Reasonably well off, seems to be the answer, but not so much so that you'd turn down a sponsored VW Golf with your name plastered all over the side from the local dealer. Or that you wouldn't be delighted with the 14" Redifusion colour TV you'd scoop if you were lucky enough to win Player of the Season.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thanks. I realise footballer wages will have risen out of all proportion to the average wage since the PL TV deals, but I was curious as to how well off a First Division footballer would have been considered in 1980.

Reasonably well off, seems to be the answer, but not so much so that you'd turn down a sponsored VW Golf with your name plastered all over the side from the local dealer. Or that you wouldn't be delighted with the 14" Redifusion colour TV you'd scoop if you were lucky enough to win Player of the Season.
Ha! Yes. I love those archive photos of 1970s footballers ‘at home.’ Whilst they were undoubtedly well off for comparatively young men (although they all seemed to look about 45 back then), their lifestyles still seemed relatively relatable.

Unlike today, when seemingly the average Albion weekly wage is about 86 times the national average, putting them on parity with a train driver.

Ray and Veronica Clemence showing you what £350 quid a week plus a win bonus got you, back in the day…

IMG_5269.jpeg

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
In my time as an Albion fan I’ve gone from earning more money than players the same age as me in the first team in the 2000s to having 2 weeks salary wiping out out my annual salary. I feel like I should have stuck with football.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
In my time as an Albion fan I’ve gone from earning more money than players the same age as me in the first team in the 2000s to having 2 weeks salary wiping out out my annual salary. I feel like I should have stuck with football.
I reckon I was on a par between 97 and 99 and then got quickly left behind from then onwards.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Ha! Yes. I love those archive photos of 1970s footballers ‘at home.’ Whilst they were undoubtedly well off for comparatively young men (although they all seemed to look about 45 back then), their lifestyles still seemed relatively relatable.

Unlike today, when seemingly the average Albion weekly wage is about 86 times the national average, putting them on parity with a train driver.

Ray and Veronica Clemence showing you what £350 quid a week plus a win bonus got you, back in the day…

View attachment 187297
Couldn't even afford the carpet.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

View attachment 187297
I think you’ll find it was quite expensive to adopt a panda, even then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here