Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AVB sacked

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Even if Poyet had not taken Sunderland, I don't think Spurs would have touched him.

Way things are going, Oscar will soon be in the top 10.

On the sunday supplement a week or two ago they were discussing AVB's precarious situation and according to one of them, spurs have a "long shortlist" of potential replacements. That most well run clubs do. Gus was given as one of the names on that list.

They didn't say how high or low on the list he is, and it may have depended on how they lost their last manager, what Gus is up to (e.g. now he's in a job he is lower on the list). Given they have sacked AVB because the team are underperforming, I doubt they'll take a risk on Gus this time, but I don't think him going to Spurs is as unlikely as you appear to think.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no way Levy would have even considered Gus for the Spurs job. I can see this being Capello.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He won 55.7% of his games in charge of Spurs, the highest win percentage of any Tottenham manager since 1899

Stats are misleading. He had Gareth Bale in peak form, arguably the best Spurs player ever, AND they're 7th so are behind Everton, Liverpool and Newcastle - teams that Spurs consistently finished above under Redknapp.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Still, he's 34 with a shed load of cash in the bank. I'd go and play golf (if I played).

Seems odd they are ditching him so soon. Surely Levy should be taking a hard look at himself, and I'm sure he is. Interested to know how much ire is directed at their Board.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think Laudrup is a great call, he has the right pedigree, plays the sort of footie Spurs fans would like and I think he ought to be a better fit in the dressing room.

He is the sort of coach to get the best out of players like Christian Erikkson who was a good buy and a pity he got injured.

Would be a shame for Swansea to lose him but that was always going to be a stepping stone to a bigger club. Ultimately I can see Laudrup at Barca in a few years so now might be a good time to step up to Spurs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
no - they fell out because AVB wanted to manage academica and mourinho didnt think he had the experience, he had been assistant to mourinho at chelsea and inter. he took academica from relegation to mid-table

He won 55.7% of his games in charge of Spurs, the highest win percentage of any Tottenham manager since 1899

I think you have that wrong. At Inter, AVB was still only a scout really, and wanted more input on the training ground, it was here Mourinho didn't think he was up to it, so AVB went looking elsewhere. It had nothing to do with Mourinho whether AVB had enough experience to manage Academica.

That is obviously an interesting statistic, but take the Europa League, Cups etc. out of that and just look at the league and it will be a different story.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You do have to wonder about the intelligence for football club chairmen !!!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Heard that Pochettino is on the list for the Spurs job and Saints have already been approached.

That's not to say this will happen - I assume Spurs have approached a few people to sound them out - but it's a good source and a reasonable call.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I heard a RUMOUR that the private jet that caused the problems at Stansted last week was Alan Sugar's returning with Levy after a quick trip abroad to possibly talk to a potential manager for Spurs. No substance, no proof just a rumour :shrug:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Next please Spuds deluded fans claim to be a big club,good luck to the next one in as he tries to bring the first title to the lane since 1962.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Next please Spuds deluded fans claim to be a big club,good luck to the next one in as he tries to bring the first title to the lane since 1962.

In the last 4 seasons Spurs have finished 4th twice and 5th twice. The last time they had that level of consistency near the top of the table was in the period 1961-65. This suggests Levy knows what he's doing. To be fair, I think he just wants to be in the mix for Champions League.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
When was the last time a club above Man United sacked their manager?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To persist with a 40 yard high line, with 10 men and already 2-0 or 3-0 down, was utter madness. It's not like liverpool were just going to thread through balls in behind time and time again for suarez and sterling to run onto...oh, wait. That's exactly what they were going to do. If a layman like me can predict what the tactic was going to be, I don't understand how AVB could stand there looking so hapless and confused. Nice beard mate, but a tactical genius you ain't.

Perhaps that is why he is or was a highly paid manager and you are a 'layman'. When going a man down that is the obvious tactic to try to get a goal back and also catch the opposition offside when they attack, unfortunately with a player like Saurez in their side it didnt work but had to be tried, There was very little other tactic he could use as they were losing and to get behind the ball was pointless as it wouldnt have brought back a goal and they would have lost anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here