Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AV voting assistance

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What I can't understand is why Call Me Dave is AGAINST the Alternative Vote. It's exactly the system that got him elected Tory Party leader.

but it isnt "exactly" the same. its not very similar at all. the MPs vote for single candidate repeatedly in rounds to eliminate candidates standing, then last two remaining are put to the party membership for a straight majority. as far a i can see at no point did anyone select candidates in order of preference. if there wasnt to be n rounds of voting, how differently might MPs have voted?

frankly its a bit wierd and over complicated to me, difficult for all the parties are as they try to reconcile the differnces of the parlimentry party and the wider membership.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Hi Super Steve.

While I was confused that, despite the title and opening sentence, your post had literally shit all to do with AV, I liked that you took the effort to copy and paste an email forward that you have received onto North Stand Chat. It made me "laugh out loud" (or 'LOL' as the kids are apparently saying now!). Anyway, I hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of changing it a bit, because the original words struck me as a little bit ignorant, the sort of thing a simpleton might think (probably the result of the inadequate labour imposed education system, I'm sure you'll agree!).

All my love
Robdinho xxx

*ironically, some Tories would f***ing love this.

I must say I much prefer your version Robdinho

but it isnt "exactly" the same. its not very similar at all. the MPs vote for single candidate repeatedly in rounds to eliminate candidates standing, then last two remaining are put to the party membership for a straight majority. as far a i can see at no point did anyone select candidates in order of preference. if there wasnt to be n rounds of voting, how differently might MPs have voted?

frankly its a bit wierd and over complicated to me, difficult for all the parties are as they try to reconcile the differnces of the parlimentry party and the wider membership.

The workings are similar. It is only for logistical reasons that the electorate aren't asked to return to the pollling station on another day. Another reason the parties do it this way is to allow a close colleague of the party leader to show loyalty by not contesting the post, but enable him to stand if his/her leader is eventually eliminated,

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The workings are similar. It is only for logistical reasons that the electorate aren't asked to return to the pollling station on another day.

no, really, it isnt as far as i see. the preferences and instant result are key mechanics of the AV method not present in the leadership election method. the only similarity is the peculiarity that a person coming second in the first round can win. to be similar for a general elections we would have an previously elected group, say our councilors, chose amongst themselves two candidates then have a straight two candidate popular vote.

(though having the national parliament elected from local elected groups wouldnt be a bad idea, might engage people more in politics).

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Armando Ianucci tweeted this:

Today I'm coming to terms with the fact that a lot of people love 'Wonders of The Universe' but think AV is a bit too complicated.

Quite.

Vote AV.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
And here it is at it's simplest.

46lLt.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here