Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AV voting assistance

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Friend of mine sent me this. Obviously Cons is against AV & Lab is pro AV

> If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, he thinks this is a great test!
>
> If a Conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
> If a Labour/Green doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.
>
> If a Conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
> If a Labour/Green is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.
>
> If a Conservative is gay, he quietly leads his life.
> If a Labour/Green is gay, he demands legislated respect.
>
> If a Conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
> A Labour/Green wonders who is going to take care of him.
>
> If a Conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
> Labour/Greens demand that those they don't like should be banned.
>
> If a Conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
> A Labour/Green non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!)
>
> If a Conservative reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
> A Labour/Green will delete it because he's "offended."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you make that conservative with a small "c" and change Labour/Green to left wing radical, they're not bad observations. as summaries of political parties they are largly bollocks.

afaik, Reid, Blunkett, Prescott, all No's, are still in Labour. its not a party political issue (well, except for the Liberals, but even many of them dont really want it over PR)

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
The no votes will win. Feck the alternative voting system. The looney left on here will vote yes just like they did labour in the general elections and look what happend.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Labour isn't pro AV, get it right.

See below from BBC Online today:

Ed Miliband has said those in his party campaigning against the Alternative Vote are "wrong" as he launched Labour's "Yes to AV" campaign.

I think I probably have got it right.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Aren't Labour teaming up with the Lib Dems for 'Pro AV'? Tories all on their lonesome aren't they?
If not, someone tell Ed Milliband he was at the wrong press conference earlier this week!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

More like "If a Conservative is gay, they'll pretend they're not, get in to a sham marriage with a woman they'll eventually destroy over it, vote for Section 28 and then come out to the Daily Mail when their new party leader tells them to"

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
More like "If a Conservative is gay, they'll pretend they're not, get in to a sham marriage with a woman they'll eventually destroy over it, vote for Section 28 and then come out to the Daily Mail when their new party leader tells them to"

Almost, you forgot the bit about them dying with an orange in their mouth.

Why not save everyone the bother of reading that self-satisfied list and write:

Conservatives are good.
Labour/Green are bad.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
First choice is "No"
Second choice is "Yes"

What was the question again?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
>

Odd as well, if you think that the most recent major legislation regarding firearms was introduced under John Major.

Labour removed a few exceptions (I think)

Be interested which "talk show hosts" (it's chat show by the way, we're not in America), Labour would/got banned.

In fact I'm struggling to think of anything on television. However, the Conservatives were successful in getting a number of things banned form television.

I think someone has cut and pasted Conservative/Labour into something about Democrats and Republicans and got a bit confused.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

> If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, he thinks this is a great test!
>
>
> If a Labour/Green is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.
>
> If a Labour/Green is gay, he demands legislated respect.
>
> If a Conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
> A Labour/Green wonders who is going to take care of him.
>
> Labour/Greens demand that those they don't like should be banned.
>
> If a Conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
> A Labour/Green non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!)
>
> If a Conservative reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
> A Labour/Green will delete it because he's "offended."

I don't like this list and would like this thread closed and deleted.

The last point is a no brainer really as the Labour/Green people are the butt of this joke (???) so are unlikely to forward it.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
if you make that conservative with a small "c" and change Labour/Green to left wing radical, they're not bad observations. )

Actually they still are simplistic caricatures of political ideology, which betray more about the prejudices of the author than anything of those people holding a left or right wing view.

What I can't understand is why Call Me Dave is AGAINST the Alternative Vote. It's exactly the system that got him elected Tory Party leader.

In the first ballot of Conservative MPs on 18 October 2005, David Davis won with 62 votes; Cameron came second, with 56 votes; Liam Fox came third with 42 votes and Kenneth Clarke was eliminated with 38 votes. In the second ballot on 20 October 2005, Cameron came first with 90 votes; David Davis was second, with 57, and Liam Fox was eliminated with 51 votes. Cameron won the final ballot, despite LOSING the First Past The Post count in the first ballot.

If a Conservative reads this, forward it to your friends and have a good laugh.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Hi Super Steve.

While I was confused that, despite the title and opening sentence, your post had literally shit all to do with AV, I liked that you took the effort to copy and paste an email forward that you have received onto North Stand Chat. It made me "laugh out loud" (or 'LOL' as the kids are apparently saying now!). Anyway, I hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of changing it a bit, because the original words struck me as a little bit ignorant, the sort of thing a simpleton might think (probably the result of the inadequate labour imposed education system, I'm sure you'll agree!).

All my love
Robdinho xxx

>
> If a Conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one. And if gun crime occurs, it won't be in his neighbourhood, and immigrants are probably to blame.
> If a Labour/Green doesn't like guns he wants all guns outlawed, since there is no logical reason why anyone should need to own a gun.
>
> If a Labour/Green is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat. You see, vegetarianism and political allegiance are not linked.
>
> If a Conservative is gay, he quietly leads his life, unless it is politically advantageous to 'come out' publicly,
> If a Labour/Green is gay, he demands the same respect as anyone else.
>
> If a Conservative is down-and-out, he would rather kill himself than admit to his 'friends' that he has fallen on hard times. He may even consider defrauding the public purse in a vain attempt to save face. But, let's face it; a person who is 'down and out' is no more likely to vote conservative as to vote for a burly man to repeatedly kick them in their testacles/vagina.*
> A Labour/Green wonders who is going to take care of him and help him get back to being a contributing, tax paying member of society.
>
> Labour/Greens accept that those they disagree with should be allowed a platform to air their opinions, since they are aware that they don't hold a monopoly on the truth, and healthy debate can only be good for the democratic process - this is the freedom that their grandparents gave their lives to protect after all.
>
> If a Conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church, but supports the right of the Christian church to influence national policy. This is a Christian country after all, we don't wan't the muslamics imposing their muslamic laws on us.
> A Labour/Green non-believer wants any mention of God and religion kept separate from legislative decision making. Religion is, after all, a matter of opinion not fact.

> If a Conservative reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh at how ridiculous England is now we are 'ruled' by Europe.
> A Labour/Green will delete it because it's not really very funny compared to the email forward about '20 ways to maintain a healthy level of office sanity" which you received in 2004

*ironically, some Tories would f***ing love this.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What I find scariest about this is the OP's name. As Steve Earle is a well-known left-wing country singer, you'd think someone with the name of Super Steve Earle would hold similar views - it's a bit weird to find the opposite (and I agree with Clapham Gull, the OP has US stamped all over it)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hi Super Steve.

While I was confused that, despite the title and opening sentence, your post had literally shit all to do with AV, I liked that you took the effort to copy and paste an email forward that you have received onto North Stand Chat. It made me "laugh out loud" (or 'LOL' as the kids are apparently saying now!). Anyway, I hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of changing it a bit, because the original words struck me as a little bit ignorant, the sort of thing a simpleton might think (probably the result of the inadequate labour imposed education system, I'm sure you'll agree!).

All my love
Robdinho xxx

*ironically, some Tories would f***ing love this.

Very good. Amazing how the OP thought he was posting something to appear satirically clever but ended up looking a mug.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What I find scariest about this is the OP's name. As Steve Earle is a well-known left-wing country singer, you'd think someone with the name of Super Steve Earle would hold similar views - it's a bit weird to find the opposite (and I agree with Clapham Gull, the OP has US stamped all over it)

I'm an Albion fan and a music lover not a political animal. Steve Earle's political views can be a bit hardline at times and I doubt many in England would agree with him on everything, but I love his passion and respect his and other's beliefs. The email came from a rather Right former colleague who lives in Thailand and tends to forward things he finds amusing. Knowing the somewhat left leaning side of some on NSC, I popped on the thread for fun really. I hate what Blair, Brown etc did to this country and it's people, but I find the Clegg/Cameron coalition no better. And frankly, whether whether we get FPTP or AV is probably going to be irrelevant to me as I have lost faith in all politicians at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here