Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussies Get Free Money ($900) Off Their Government To Spend On Stuff

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All me Aussie mates on Facebook have started banging on about what they are going to be spending their 'stimulus $$' on. Seemed a bit puzzling to me, so I asked them what all that was about. Turns out Aussie taxpayers earning less than $100,000 are receiving a one-off bonus of up to $900, as part of the Federal Government's $42 billion stimulus package. To spend. On whatever they want. :ohmy:

Good effort Kevin Rudd :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is the second round too...

How much did they get in the first round?

Damn fine way to kick-start the economy if you ask me. Give everybody in the country four hundred quid and tell 'em to fill their boots. Albion season ticket, big colour telly, decent two weeks in the sun... What could be nicer!

Ditchboy

Apr 4, 2008
Surely better spending the money on an expensive television advertising campaign encouraging us to grass up market traders and Polish bar girls claiming dole. They're the reason we're in this mess after all.

Suspect that most of it will go on consumer durables imported from elsewhere so China should be grateful!

IMHO should be spending money on worthwhile long lasting things like electrifying/reopening railway lines, school and hospital building with any left over going toward Falmer!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
FiveLive has a fairly controversial money expert at 5.30 ish in the morning, and before Christmas he stated that the government had spent the equivalent of £250,000 per head on the banks.

He then went on, that if this was given to every person in the country, the banks would have been saved by the people depositing that money, and further still not just creating a consumer boom, but new businesses would appear, as friends and families would collectively invest.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As long as they don't spend it on flights coming over here I really don't care!

good point and I would want that daily to live in the sun .................without football ....I mean real football

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Its fine when you've got a country with hardly any people in it. If they tried to do that here i think the country would be bankrupt.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
FiveLive has a fairly controversial money expert at 5.30 ish in the morning, and before Christmas he stated that the government had spent the equivalent of £250,000 per head on the banks.

a fairly clueless one too: thats £15 trillion. GDP of the whole of the EU is about £13trillion and the UK is about £2trillion. also, the money that reported as "spent" on the banks hasnt been really, its largely guarantees and loans, not hard cash.

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
:D
good point and I would want that daily to live in the sun .................without football ....I mean real football

How can you say that when Robbie Fowler has just signed for new A League franchise North Queensland Somethingorother. Oh ok fair enough! But is is sunny! :jester:

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
All me Aussie mates on Facebook have started banging on about what they are going to be spending their 'stimulus $$' on. Seemed a bit puzzling to me, so I asked them what all that was about. Turns out Aussie taxpayers earning less than $100,000 are receiving a one-off bonus of up to $900, as part of the Federal Government's $42 billion stimulus package. To spend. On whatever they want. :ohmy:

Good effort Kevin Rudd :thumbsup:

One of the recipients of said $900 took the Federal Govt to the High Court claiming an abuse of power. And lost. Just thought would let you know like before kick off. :albion2:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a risky strategy and not having the effect that the government would have hoped for. The Labor government has put Australia into a record budget deficit, who knows how this will be repaid in the future, and it turns out that most people are saving the $900 in the face of poor job insecurity or unemployment, meaning it isn't stimulating the economy as much as anticipated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here