Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
A friend lent me the book The Tatooist of Auschwitz, which was published last year, by the author Heather Morris. She met Lale in Melbourne.
It was fascinating and horrific at the same time, but Lale also met his wife there, another Slovakian. I couldn't put it down. I recommend this book, very strongly.

Seconded. Great read.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know it is supposed to be a children’s book, but The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is one of the most harrowing book I ever read. Seeing it really through a child’s eye, makes it all the more traumatic.

The series and film was just as bad , but nothing prepares you for the last two chapters.

As I have said before we stayed in krakow and went to auschwitz, birkenhau and it was in the middle of winter...the first film they show all visitors is traumatic enough, but it doesn’t prepare you for what you will see. Some complete wankers taking photos of eachother sitting in the ovens and on the machinery for moving the bodies into the ovens...most moving bit was standing in the gas chamber with one single white rose on the floor...everyone walked straight past but I stood leaning against the wall and felt such an overwhelming sadness.

It still fills me with dread when I think about that place. And that is why I have no time whatsoever for fascists!

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I know it is supposed to be a children’s book, but The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is one of the most harrowing book I ever read. Seeing it really through a child’s eye, makes it all the more traumatic.

The series and film was just as bad , but nothing prepares you for the last two chapters.

Written by gay Irish author John Boyne, who experienced a lot of abuse growing up, and a sense of alienation. Great author, written some great adult fiction as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here