Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AUGUST 6hh - please help to explain

This must be a daft question to you people who know the answer, but I'm still in mystery;
Everyone mentions "August 6th" for our first league match at the Amex, like it's a certainty to be the first game AT THE AMEX. :amex:

Now I can certainly see how that may be the date for the first game of the season - no problem with that - but what if the fixtures have us drawn away for the opening league match?
Also, isn't there a chance that, home or away, we could be picked for a Sunday game on that weekend? :stupid:

I have asked someone on here before, but their response was "I think you really know the answer" as if I'm 'trying to be clever'.
Well, I'm not 'clever' about this at all, I'm completely in the dark.

So have a laugh and tell me I missed some obvious fact :dunce: - but someone just tell me how August 6th is confirmed, a done deal?

Thanks in anticipation for your patience in answering this dull question.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think it has been reasonably assured to be that weekend - I don't think anyone knows it will be the 6th. Pride would not have been moved if there was any doubt. We won't know the actual day and time til the fixtures are out and the TV decide who they want to show - it could be the Fri eve, it could be the Sunday. IMO, we are more likely to be on TV if we are drawn against a team that has been relgated from the prem.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
"It's not going to be officially announced but the club have been assured that we will open at home"

... was the quote that a 1901 friend of mine came back with when he went on a recent tour.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
It's not confirmed. He club have asked the FA for a home fixture but it is yet to be confirmed. Good chance though as pride has been arranged around us being at home so would be silly to refuse. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an early or late Ko as expect Sky will want to get in on the action.

There is a long established process in place that allows Clubs to make representations to the fixture makers about particular dates. Not having a home game that clashes with Pride, for example.

Words have no doubt been said in the right quarters.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
The BBC normally show a game on the opening day as well and they still have a year on their contract.
Still expect the 6th to be the first home game but could be 12.45 or 5.30.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Club have asked for a home game and the FL pretty much always oblige under such circumstances. There's no reason for them not to.

Besides: there is the added failsafe that we cannot be at home on the 13th due to Pride, and the FL don't like teams starting with two consecutive away (or home) fixtures. Therefore it is nailed on that we will be at home on the weekend of the 6th, whether on the Saturday or (hope not) the Sunday.

Thanks, appreciated.

If we got a Sunday schedule, and especially playing a relegated Prem side (or even SCC, which would make for a nice start too), then there'd be even more attention from other football quarters - due to the fact most will be distracted by their own fixtures on the Saturday.

I believe there's a particular interest across the leagues for us - although this might just be a tad pompous to think - because we have been SO close to extinction, had such a long struggle and in controversy, retained a firm stand from the board and the fans, managed to deal with bad timing for bank-loans, and ....come back in such a fantastic way that places us firmly in a fairytale status!
I don't think it's only Albion fans that really want to be there to see this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is a long established process in place that allows Clubs to make representations to the fixture makers about particular dates. Not having a home game that clashes with Pride, for example.

Words have no doubt been said in the right quarters.
I would be curious to know when was the last time we made such approaches for OUR benefit.

I imagine some teams 'getting there own way' most seasons, where as we've used the process to accommodate others, such as Pride.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You could say the same about Doncaster Rovers though- close to extinction, spent time in non-league, new stadium accompanying rise up the leagues.

Sky weren't falling over themselves to cover them, even if, with all due respect, I think we're a bigger club.

Personally, I think there is a danger of us believing the whole world is as excited about our new gaff as we are, when in reality, for pretty much all the other clubs, it's just another new stadium to tick off, padded seats or otherwise. Maybe there's slightly more interest from the media than normal thanks to the Gillingham/ Withdean angle, but otherwise we shouldn't expect the rest of football to be falling over themselves in their eagerness to be part of it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would be curious to know when was the last time we made such approaches for OUR benefit.

I imagine some teams 'getting there own way' most seasons, where as we've used the process to accommodate others, such as Pride.

Most requests of this nature aren't for the club's benefit, it's due to police requests, or a fear of crowds being adversely impacted by a nearby event. They aren't typically granted because someone fancies being at home for the last game, say.

Cheltenham ask to be away during the festival, Tranmere don't like playing at home when Liverpool do (Everton obviously don't bother them so much). Other clubs need to be home/away in opposition to when their local rivals are eg Arsenal/Spurs, Forest/County.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Well in reality we have "got our own way" for several years as we have requested and been granted an away fixture so as not to clash with Pride. I think a home game this time round is pretty much a gimme.
I really do hope it's televised even if it means switching the kick off time - it's the only way I can be "there" for the opening game but I think Edna is right - others will be somewhat less overwhelmed than us (West Ham might well be a bigger TV draw) and it is by no means a certainty.
What I really want most of all is a winnable game because the last thing I want is to start the Falmer era in the way that we ended Withdean.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Agree with Edna, I am not sure fans all round the country are wetting themselves with excitment at the thought of being able to see the first ever game at the Amex live on the tellybox.

You could say the same about Doncaster Rovers though- close to extinction, spent time in non-league, new stadium accompanying rise up the leagues.

Sky weren't falling over themselves to cover them, even if, with all due respect, I think we're a bigger club.

Personally, I think there is a danger of us believing the whole world is as excited about our new gaff as we are, when in reality, for pretty much all the other clubs, it's just another new stadium to tick off, padded seats or otherwise. Maybe there's slightly more interest from the media than normal thanks to the Gillingham/ Withdean angle, but otherwise we shouldn't expect the rest of football to be falling over themselves in their eagerness to be part of it.

Oooh, I don't know if we are thinking about that in quite the same way.
It's not just about the league being interested in just-another-new-stadium so much, as in a gathering interest in how WE feel about it.

Hull City made quite a good recovery from their controversies too I seem to recall. Weren't our fans handing the bucket around for them at one point?

Yes of course there have been other phoenix-like rises from the ashes, and I don't say "all eyes are going to be on BHA" either - but there will be a spirit of momentousness that will be of interest for others other than just a footnote on The Football League Show.
Anyway, have to see on the day what everyone makes of it eh?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
As suggested in an earlier thread I wouldn't rule out us being the first game of the whole season live on Sky on the Friday evening, just like Norwich our predecessors as League 1 Champs were last August. Theirs wasn't exactly a glamour fixture (v Watford) but Sky loved the newly promoted Champs / Lambert angles etc etc. I think we have more kudos than Norwich did i.e. with our new stadium / rags to riches story. Hope we get a better result on the pitch though.

While many (including us exiles) would prefer a Sat PM kick off I suspect that a handsome wedge of TV money will be welcome and our sponsors wouldn't be averse to some live TV exposure. The safety certificate for the Amex should be in place following the ramp up games and better to get an evening game out of the way on a sunny summer evening so no reason for the Police to object.

Just hope the hype doesn't cause the players to get stage fright.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'd like to play Saints at home on the 6th and away on the 13th, just so we can get them out of the way and avoid a repeat of all the gubbins for the rest of the season

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I'd like to play Saints at home on the 6th and away on the 13th, just so we can get them out of the way and avoid a repeat of all the gubbins for the rest of the season

Not possible, as the fixtures that begin the second half of the season will be a reversal of the opening day

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's not just about the league being interested in just-another-new-stadium so much, as in a gathering interest in how WE feel about it.

Nope, it's about viewing figures and I doubt many people outside of Albion fans are particularly desperate to see us play - stadium or no. I still think it will be on TV only if we are playing someone more interesting to a wider set of audience, most likely a relegated prem team.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As suggested in an earlier thread I wouldn't rule out us being the first game of the whole season live on Sky on the Friday evening, just like Norwich our predecessors as League 1 Champs were last August. Theirs wasn't exactly a glamour fixture (v Watford) but Sky loved the newly promoted Champs / Lambert angles etc etc. I think we have more kudos than Norwich did i.e. with our new stadium / rags to riches story. Hope we get a better result on the pitch though.

While many (including us exiles) would prefer a Sat PM kick off I suspect that a handsome wedge of TV money will be welcome and our sponsors wouldn't be averse to some live TV exposure. The safety certificate for the Amex should be in place following the ramp up games and better to get an evening game out of the way on a sunny summer evening so no reason for the Police to object.

Just hope the hype doesn't cause the players to get stage fright.

I still think it highly unlikely that the club would accept and evening kick off for the first full capacity match.

Nope, it's about viewing figures and I doubt many people outside of Albion fans are particularly desperate to see us play - stadium or no. I still think it will be on TV only if we are playing someone more interesting to a wider set of audience, most likely a relegated prem team.

To an extent yes, though the local interest and celebratory effect might extend and create wider attention, if only to see what the spiffy new place looks like on camera. I expect we will manage to 'sell' the place a bit in the outer circles of footballdom.
The Spurs game could either help increase or dilute interest I suppose - but the Poyet Factor, promotion with his first tenure, newest of the new facilities, probable hi-tech stadium accessories, sponsor assistance in getting attention, 'the Albion story', self-financed fan owned, and of course Beckham coming to play for us :)jester: couldn't resist) will contribute to more outside interest.

The spitfire flyover, Hindenburg-sized (with flashing ads) dirigible aerial shots, Argentina-style confetti raining down the stands, The WHO playing after the match (with guests from The Stones and U2 plus Sting dueting with Daltrey and Townshend), the surprise attendance of Wills and Kate, and the selection of film-stars in attendance.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here