Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attwell

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was also baffled by those two decisions. They aren’t subjective. What are the rules ? There must be definitions of phases of play (3rd goal) and interfering with goalkeeper’s line of sight (2nd goal).
The 'offside' that cost Liverpool a goal yesterday was probably the worst VAR decision I have ever seen. The VAR oafs checked it, saw it was onside, and decided to not tell the referee.

As always it is the uselessness of the refs running the VAR that is at fault. And the root cause is the mantra that the on-pitch referee has the final say. Quite how that manifested in the VAR boys being too (perm as many as you like) scared/stupid/drunk to overrule that 'offside' is beyond even my ken. And I normally have an enormous ken.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seriously Icy, I can’t remember the 4th being a foul (3rd was), we lost it cheaply and Steele got his angles wrong, but I was more hacked off when the rugby tackle on March (3rd) wasn’t penalised despite VAR.

If the argument on the 3rd is second phase, that’s basically bollocks.
Yes I am getting confused, it was the third that should have been chalked off

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree.

We would have lost 4-1 rather than 6.

But Madley is useless, we him at Wolves when we won and he was dreadful and yesterday he gave the same level of performance. Inconsistent throughout.

I simply do not understand why 7 games in, we have had the same official twice.
As for Attwell, he should be nowhere near VAR,….. as yesterday once again proved.
We wouldn't. The whole game post the second goal if disallowed would have played out differently.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I was so p*ssed off with my stream freezing just before Villa scored their first 3 goals I gave up, and didn't watch us on MOTD or highlights. I'lll do that tonight and consider the ref and VAR performances.

But we mustn't forget Liverpool had a stinker yesterday with that goal being ruled offside, and then we had our Ref for AEK, who didn't give two penalties, which were fortunately given by VAR.

By the way, I thought Kloop was very restrained in his comments on their game!!

So looking forward to Thursday, where I'm sure we'll bounce back and play much better.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
As a former goalkeeper I cannot believe that goal wasn’t ruled out, a player standing in your line of sight absolutely does affect a goalkeepers initial reaction and split step movements.

It’s comical and brainless refereeing from people who have never played the game.
I bet you were magic in goal!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
As soon as I saw that Attwell was going to be VAR, I feared more than ever for our chances. Of course we didn't lose because of him, but he was atrocious as usual and yet still keeps getting Premier League gigs. How?
The job creation scheme is slow to deliver...

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The 'offside' that cost Liverpool a goal yesterday was probably the worst VAR decision I have ever seen. The VAR oafs checked it, saw it was onside, and decided to not tell the referee.

As always it is the uselessness of the refs running the VAR that is at fault. And the root cause is the mantra that the on-pitch referee has the final say. Quite how that manifested in the VAR boys being too (perm as many as you like) scared/stupid/drunk to overrule that 'offside' is beyond even my ken. And I normally have an enormous ken.
I think what you say about it being the usefulness of the refs running VAR being the fault is quite interesting. I suspect many of have encountered work situations where our work is checked by another human. The human checking your work will not pick up all the errors you make and if the point of the check is to stop errors, its a waste of time because it doesn't.

To stop errors you need to change the process. So if someone is manually typing 100 numbers into a spreadsheet, stop that and do it as a file upload. If someone is manually drawing lines on a screen and communicating a decision verbally, stop that, automate it and communicate through a pre determined signal (like the goal line technology). If its not possible to do that I would suggest the technology is not ready.

Personally I think VAR should be dropped as it significantly reduces the enjoyment of the game for the fans in the stadium. And its rubbish.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010

Equal worst with the one which cost us a goal at Palace where they drew the line level with the wrong defender.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Having just watched the highlights, the second goal should clearly have been chalked off by VAR (thanks Attwell, again) as their forward was standing right in front of Steele. I'm not sure about the 'phase of play' thing for the third, but it was an obvious foul on March, which the on-feld ref should have spotted.

Wouldn't have affected the result, but it would have been better to lose 4-1 than 6-1, which is pretty humiliating.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Having just watched the highlights, the second goal should clearly have been chalked off by VAR (thanks Attwell, again) as their forward was standing right in front of Steele. I'm not sure about the 'phase of play' thing for the third, but it was an obvious foul on March, which the on-feld ref should have spotted.

Wouldn't have affected the result, but it would have been better to lose 4-1 than 6-1, which is pretty humiliating.
It may well have affected the result though. Going in at half-time just 1-0 down wouldn't have felt at all bad, and when we got back to 1-1 it could have been anyone's game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think what you say about it being the usefulness of the refs running VAR being the fault is quite interesting. I suspect many of have encountered work situations where our work is checked by another human. The human checking your work will not pick up all the errors you make and if the point of the check is to stop errors, its a waste of time because it doesn't.

To stop errors you need to change the process. So if someone is manually typing 100 numbers into a spreadsheet, stop that and do it as a file upload. If someone is manually drawing lines on a screen and communicating a decision verbally, stop that, automate it and communicate through a pre determined signal (like the goal line technology). If its not possible to do that I would suggest the technology is not ready.

Personally I think VAR should be dropped as it significantly reduces the enjoyment of the game for the fans in the stadium. And its rubbish.
I agree with everything you write, apart from the first part of the first sentence of your last line (fancy that!) :wink:

Since it has been determined ('deemed' even) that the on-field ref has the final say then it seems we are damned with or without VAR. Personally I'm not bothered by delays and feel/imagine/estimate that there are more correct decision than before VAR, but because of the above I am forced to agree with you that it, as currently practiced, is indeed rubbish. f***ing shite, in fact :thumbsup:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It may well have affected the result though. Going in at half-time just 1-0 down wouldn't have felt at all bad, and when we got back to 1-1 it could have been anyone's game.
I think that's stretching it a bit. Apart from the first 20 mins of the second half, we were really poor. I think Villa would've won anyway.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
The sooner the Saudi League tempt our EPL refs the better..................and do they have VAR ? Take them as well................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here