Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attn: train gurus

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've just looked at various journey planners and none are currently showing direct trains between Southampton and Brighton in the morning. There are direct trains coming back, so no idea what's going on.

Tweeted Southern and their less than helpful response was that it was due to the BML engineering work, they haven't responded to my further enquiries. There's ALWAYS been Southampton to Brighton trains running when trains are diverted down the Arun Valley before, so I don't get it. Hopefully it's a glitch that'll be sorted soon.

I was hoping you'd get involved as a regular on the part of the journey which seems to be screwed all of a sudden.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
a train cannot dissapear into thin air every hour

Really? How long have you worked for Connex/Southern...!?

Seriously, that makes sense as what usually happens is the Southern trains from Southampton get switched around, so the :13 to Victoria runs to Brighton and the :33 to Brighton runs to Victoria. Presumably to work around the higher priority BML trains going up the Arun Valley.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I was hoping you'd get involved as a regular on the part of the journey which seems to be screwed all of a sudden.

No worries. You might want to badger the Southern twitter account to confirm the glitch as they seem to be ignoring me.

Your biggest worry is the reliability of FGW as the Brighton train will leave Soton at :13, so you'll only have 8 minutes instead of 28. I would recommend changing at Southampton as you'll be able to get a coffee/beer. There's sod all at Cosham, bar a sense of impending danger! They only tell you to change there or Fareham because it's on the same platform. I know you can navigate a set of stairs!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Really? How long have you worked for Connex/Southern...!?

Seriously, that makes sense as what usually happens is the Southern trains from Southampton get switched around, so the :13 to Victoria runs to Brighton and the :33 to Brighton runs to Victoria. Presumably to work around the higher priority BML trains going up the Arun Valley.

Which fits into the arrival Bazzo was given of just after the hour instead of 18minutes past in Brighton

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, I just noticed and booked.

As such, I intend to be arriving in Brighton at 12:10. (No reception committee required)

Can you order breakfast for me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here