Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attila the Stockbroker on Radio Four

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
thought his accent was appalling, but interesting that he liked brel. me and the missus (madamoiselle i guess) went toi the brel expo in brussels earlier this year....absolutely brilliant if you like that kind of thing

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Attila's long been a Brel fan...he was going on about him in the 70s. He even went to live in Belgium in the early 80s.

Pity I missed the programme; Brel's a big favourite of mine too.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I played bass in a Brussels punk band 24 years ago, that's where I discovered Brel (and got my accent!) He's one of my favourite songwriters of all time - it's a shame that so few translations of his work are anything other than appalling ('Ne Me Quitte Pas' turned into 'If You Go Away' being the prime example, along with 'Seasons in the Sun' - yes, every time we sing 'We had joy, we had fun, we had Palace on the run..'we are singing a Brel song)
Robina and I are going to the Brel exhibition in a few weeks - I bet it's brilliant,
the Bruxellois are justly proud of him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
attila said:
I played bass in a Brussels punk band 24 years ago ...

Ah yes! The mighty 'Contingent'! Pity 'Spermicide' never made the big time!

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
liked your contribution to the programme attila...very interesting. your accent....well let's not go there!always interests me how much my in-laws (from normandy) take the piss out of the belgians incessantly but treat brel like a god!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ok I admit it, I am a phillestine.

Can you please explain who was this guy brel

dave the thicko

dave the gaffer said:
Ok I admit it, I am a phillestine.

Can you please explain who was this guy brel

dave the thicko

Jeez, Dave. That's what a Huddersfield upbringing does.

The greatest French language popular singer of the twentieth century.

Even better than Piaf.

A famous Belgian.

Read about him here

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
The French tell 'histoires belges' like (some) English people tell Irish jokes - the Bruxellois punk band I was in was always the brunt of jokes like that when we played in France - even though only one of us was actually Belgian. And, of course, the French cultural establishment have always tried to claim Brel for their own - but he was having none of it ('Bruxelles', 'Les Flimingants' 'Le Plat Pays' 'Les Flamandes') although he did deliberately lose his Brussels accent, which I think was sad........

Quant a MON accent bruxellois, Afters, mon vieux: ben, une fois, moi, j' en suis fier, et si t'aimes pas, moi, je m'en contre-balance...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here