Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance at the first EVER game at Colchester Community Stadium

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Luton used the same tactic this time last year. Spent loads and paid good wages and now they are.....?

I would not be surprised if it all goes tits-up at Colchester, espicially if they dont bounce back straight away. I would imagine their wage bill is a lot higher than ours, considering they managed to offer Hammond 4 times the amount he was currently on here.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Their attendance casts a shadow over many claims on here that we are gauranteed to increse our gates when we get to Falmer, as everybody else has!!!

I don't think anyone in their right mind would say a new stadium will guarantee higher gates, but it does go to show that the club must be careful in pricing the new stadium. However, I do think Colchester are a bad example as they have never been a fashionable club in their entire history and their new stadium is not particularly accessible and the opening coincides with a period of economic uncertainty.

The plain fact is that as a professional footballer Hammond has a right to earn as much as he can. A pro's career doesn't last that long and he can't be blamed for trying to make as much money as he can while he can.

After all, if you were offered a better paid job in a smaller organisation would you turn it down ?

I 100% agree with you, however Mr Hammond told us he wanted Championship football. If he had been honest and had said that he was going there just for the money he would have not got as much shit as he has done since his move to Colchester.
If he had moved to Wolves or Sheffield United then he may have had a point, but Colchester? Do me a favour Dean!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been past the new ground and it looks to be built out of town. This probably means there is no parking to be found in local streets and all fans will cop for this £10. :shrug:

And Layer Road, of course, was soooooooo near the centre ...???

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It would not surprise me in the least to see Hammond welcomed back here by Adams and Knight when his contract expires at Colchester. Another backward step in the making!

Colchester season tickets are a bit pricey.

Adult charges range from £390 for the worst seats, if bought early, up to £598 for the best seats bought late.

PLUS £10 (pre-booked) a game to park your car (or £230 for a car parking season ticket).

I guess there must be some folk who think between £620 and £828 a season for a season ticket and car parking space is a price worth paying.

As opposed to £462 to £582 fo a seat in a revamped schools sports day stadium (athough it was an Olympic venue for the tennis in 1912!)

There have been many on here who have just poo pood our attendances last season and said when we get Falmer we will get 13k + easily.

I'll beleive that when I see it.

i have to say that I've always worried that the club's attendance projection could be a tad optomistic given then we only attract crowds when we are doing well.

But lets build the thing first and worry about that later........

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
wE ALWAYS USED TO ATTRACT GOOD CROWDS, BETTER THAN MANY CLUBS WHEN THEY WERE IN A 'LIKE FOR LIKE' SITU, SO i DO THINK WE WILL FILL FALMER EARLY ON AND, IF THE IMPETUS IS MAINTAINED THEN SO WILL THE CROWDS.

(Sorry for shouting. I am a man and cannot look at the screen & keyboard at the same time & didn't notice caps lock on)

Colchester, Darlo, Shrews & probably MK Dons have never been big clubs and will not fill their grounds.

Aug 30, 2007
Just goes to show poor Colchester really are the 3rd team in Essex behind Southend United and the Daggers.... poor ole farmhands hey :)

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Just goes to show poor Colchester really are the 3rd team in Essex behind Southend United and the Daggers.... poor ole farmhands hey :)

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

Try and tell Dean Hammond that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here