Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At the going down of the sun and in the morning. We will remember them.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
It is what this country does so well, tradition, respect, dignity.

Way too many names on that list of service men and women killed since last Remembrance Sunday.:down:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Funny to see John Major there, rather the forgotten Prime Minister? Blair looking suspiciously tanned. Gordon Brown just looked miserable as usual.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was in the RAF for 30 years and along with every other serving or ex serving member of the forces it is great to see the support of the public, luckily idiots like Gilmore are in the minority.

Agreed totally. What strikes me these days is when you see a parade of serving members of the forces, like at the Albert Hall last night, how many of them have a row of medals. If you went back maybe 15 or 20 years the number on parade with even one medal would have been small, it just shows how busy our armed forces have become. Respect to them, one and all.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Talking of medals, went along to the War Memorial in Worthing on Friday and saw a very smart old fellow wearing blue Blazer with a load of medals on left hand side and 2 iron crosses hanging on his right.
Wasn't old enough to have served in WW2 so me wonders where he got them and why he wore them?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Talking of medals, went along to the War Memorial in Worthing on Friday and saw a very smart old fellow wearing blue Blazer with a load of medals on left hand side and 2 iron crosses hanging on his right.
Wasn't old enough to have served in WW2 so me wonders where he got them and why he wore them?
ive just come back from the one in newhaven, there was a young chap wearing his grandads medals as a sign of respect as his grandad passed away this year

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

:bowdown:

I saw that for the first time when being taught about WWI in history. My history teacher, Ms Northall, said she'd seen it countless times yet its still made her cry every time. For me its an example of the great power of television when done right, taking a comedy series and turning it into the most poignant of dramas in a heartbeat.

Without a doubt one of the greatest endings to any television series.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Usually the medals of a family member. They're entitled to show them I believe.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I was watching the memorial service with my wife and her parents last night on the BBC. The wife is Brazilian, but her mother is Italian as her father fled the fascists in Italy in the mid thirties and ended up in Brazil. She was watching the tribute when I noticed her crying. When I asked her why, she explained that her uncle had eaten poisonous berries when he was an Italian soldier on duty in Austria because they were starving to death in the mountains and preferred a quick painful death over a slow drawn out one.
She then said that as they were all Catholics they had been unable to take their own lives or those of their friends.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We have our Pops medals and uniform and hat but its hard to bring them out. He served with the Australian 7th Division for some years, mostly in the Pacific War. Just prior to the end of the war in 1945 he was involved in the battle of Morotai in Indonesia and some time in Borneo in the Battle of Balikpapan. We don't know much other than medical and discharge records, but what he was involved in appeared to have been too much for him to mentally bear. He returned home to become a violent alcoholic. My Dad's doesn't talk alot about it but his childhood from then on was remarkably different, he was banned from mentioning and remembering the war. We never went into the house when we visited for fear of his rage and throwing things, and my Nan (was was a nurse on the boats) was the only person he saw for many years before his death. His contribution was immense but the impact of war on those who remain must always be remembered too. Sadly Nanna received a pension after his death only because Pop served - not because she served as well. I'm glad we're starting to understand the impact war has on the rest of the families these days, in order to help those affected by it long after it is finished.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Usually the medals of a family member. They're entitled to show them I believe.

My 2 year old daughter wears her Great Grandfather's campaign medals at Remembrance.

I like to think that she is the reason for the sacrifices they made.

no81skint

Apr 27, 2007
Coventry

Who'd have thought? One of the most poignant 'comic' scenes...thanks for the reminder - we all have our stories.

My grandfather died in a US bomber crash in WWII. My great grandfather was German and severely gassed in WWI, dying of the effects in his early 40s.
We're all human, caught in the middle of wars we didn't start...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
We have our Pops medals and uniform and hat but its hard to bring them out. He served with the Australian 7th Division for some years, mostly in the Pacific War. Just prior to the end of the war in 1945 he was involved in the battle of Morotai in Indonesia and some time in Borneo in the Battle of Balikpapan. We don't know much other than medical and discharge records, but what he was involved in appeared to have been too much for him to mentally bear. He returned home to become a violent alcoholic. My Dad's doesn't talk alot about it but his childhood from then on was remarkably different, he was banned from mentioning and remembering the war. We never went into the house when we visited for fear of his rage and throwing things, and my Nan (was was a nurse on the boats) was the only person he saw for many years before his death. His contribution was immense but the impact of war on those who remain must always be remembered too. Sadly Nanna received a pension after his death only because Pop served - not because she served as well. I'm glad we're starting to understand the impact war has on the rest of the families these days, in order to help those affected by it long after it is finished.

This

I've never known my Grandad on my Mums side of the Family, he was a Territorial and went straight out to France, fought back to Dunkirk (being spat at by French Civilians), strafed on the beaches for a few days and evacuated back to Dover.

He was immediately sent home on leave and my Mum recalls him coming throught the door still with a loaded rifle which he leant against a chair and then fell asleep for 24 hours.

After a year or so he went to North Africa and fought all through the Desert War, landed at Salerno and fought his way up Italy until the end of the conflict so had a long, long war. He was a Gunner and not an Infantryman but I'm sure he must have seen some horror in those years.

When he came back he simply couldn't adjust, became an alcoholic and walked out on the family. For years I didn't know if he was alive or dead (my Uncle traced his grave and he died in the late 1960's). A casualty that never got his name on a War Memorial I guess.

Went to St Mary's at Storrington for the Remembrance Day service today and thought of him as well as Mrs Jakartas Dad who was a Normandy Veteran (Signaller) and fought all the way across Europe and ended up as part of the Occupying Army in Berlin (another story for another day - suffice to say there was a bit of 'salvage' that went on that was thwarted).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here