Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At least the last goverment cared

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is typical of the Tory goverment not doing enough to ensure there is enough vaccine to fight this flu or provide decent information for people. And I don't expect it to get any better either. They don't care and they are completely out of touch.

At least Labour where on the ball with this, provided leaflets, information and started doing something about it.

When it comes to the crunch you will find Cameron and his buddies don't care, they will look after there own. Thats what the Tory goverment is about and has always been about.

I'm not going to get into a Labour v Tory slanging match. It's the GPs who are responsible for ensuring the vulnerable groups get the jab. At my old doctors I would get a letter suggesting I come in for a Flu jab and that was because my GP ( not the government ) knew I was at risk. My new surgery doesn't do this for some reason. That said I know I'm in the at risk group and therefore get the jab by making an appointment with my GP. It's not difficult and I fail to see why we and the GPs should be nannied by the government to look after ourselves. After all, they don't advertise reminders to get your tetanus booster do they ? No, it's down to you to make sure you're up to date and that's more difficult to remember as it's every 5 years - it's hardly difficult to put a reminder in your diary, on the calendar or in your Outlook to ring the GP in Oct / Nov to get the Flu jab. So can we stop these constant anti-government threads and actually get off our fat lazy arses and do something for ourselves ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I blame the last Labour government but then they had to deal with the previous Tory government but then they had to deal with the previous Labour government etc. etc.

*yawn*

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Some of us might, just might, think that we haven't made a mistake voting Tory in the last election.

Yes, at the time ( and currently ) I thought they were the best placed party to deal with the country's problems. I'm actually happy that it is a coalition government as I believe the parties should work together for the good of the country. While I don't agree with everything they have done I'm broadly satisfied they are going in the right direction.

If you actually read the story you would see that there isn't a national shortage of the vaccine. It's GPs that are responsible for it and some of them didn't order enough to cope with the demand.

There may be a national shortage but the govt doesn't actually know because, as you correctly state, the responsibility for ordering annual flu vaccine lies with a series of privately owned businesses - ie GP partnerships - who have a vested financial interest in not being left with excess stock. Hence, when patients gripe that they can't get vaccinated, the GP's will attempt to deflect accountabilty for the lack of stock on to the govt. This is quite usual but (imo) doesn't bode well for the GP consortia concept being imposed by the govt.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I blame the last Labour government but then they had to deal with the previous Tory government but then they had to deal with the previous Labour government etc. etc.

*yawn*

The last labour government had to deal with the legacies of the previous 2 labour governments

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Anyone who voted Conservative is getting exactly what they deserve.

PLEASE learn from your mistakes at the next election.

Too right:

The massive financial crisis being sorted before we lose our AAA rating as many others have.
At last a common sense approach to ambulance chasing and H & S in general
A rank & file review of the benefit system

It's not easy right now but on balance I'd rather not do what we've done for the last decade which is live on the country's credit card which was about to be withdrawn.

Yes WE ARE getting what WE ALL deserve.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
I'm not going to get into a Labour v Tory slanging match. It's the GPs who are responsible for ensuring the vulnerable groups get the jab. At my old doctors I would get a letter suggesting I come in for a Flu jab and that was because my GP ( not the government ) knew I was at risk. My new surgery doesn't do this for some reason. That said I know I'm in the at risk group and therefore get the jab by making an appointment with my GP. It's not difficult and I fail to see why we and the GPs should be nannied by the government to look after ourselves. After all, they don't advertise reminders to get your tetanus booster do they ? No, it's down to you to make sure you're up to date and that's more difficult to remember as it's every 5 years - it's hardly difficult to put a reminder in your diary, on the calendar or in your Outlook to ring the GP in Oct / Nov to get the Flu jab. So can we stop these constant anti-government threads and actually get off our fat lazy arses and do something for ourselves ?

Amazingly, I agree with some of your text. Those in the 'At-risk' group need to ensure they receive their jabs, however, does everyone within that group know they are 'At Risk'?

Who qualifies to be 'Top-Of-The-Jabs'? A large chunk are men, albeit elderly, or those in poor health. We all know how motivated they are when it comes to health matters.

Then there are the newly-pregnant who, probably are generally fit and well, and didn't take much notice last year when swine flu awareness was greater.

I admire your ordered and structured outlook, but a lot of people aren't as organised or even aware that they need to visit the GP. Surely increasing awareness about (swine) flu is a prudent action.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
All doctors, nurses, teachers and especially kids need to immunized asap. Whats worrying is the poor people that have died where young, had no underlying medical conditions and did not have the jab. This was different to last years strain, where is was reported that the people that died did have underlying medical conditions. Now I know there have been 37 deaths, ok people can argue that people die from flu every year, but this strain is bloody lethal.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Amazingly, I agree with some of your text. Those in the 'At-risk' group need to ensure they receive their jabs, however, does everyone within that group know they are 'At Risk'?

Who qualifies to be 'Top-Of-The-Jabs'? A large chunk are men, albeit elderly, or those in poor health. We all know how motivated they are when it comes to health matters.

Then there are the newly-pregnant who, probably are generally fit and well, and didn't take much notice last year when swine flu awareness was greater.

I admire your ordered and structured outlook, but a lot of people aren't as organised or even aware that they need to visit the GP. Surely increasing awareness about (swine) flu is a prudent action.

I guess the over riding point that jumps out of your post is peoples apathy. I'm not convinced that a TV ad will encourage pregnant mothers or elderly men to make the appointment. Pregnant mothers should be encouraged during their regular check ups anyway. I get my jab because I'm slightly asthmatic - it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to remind me about my flu jab when I pick up my repeat prescriptions. That said I really do think people should take more responsibility for their own health.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Too right:

The massive financial crisis being sorted before we lose our AAA rating as many others have.
At last a common sense approach to ambulance chasing and H & S in general
A rank & file review of the benefit system

It's not easy right now but on balance I'd rather not do what we've done for the last decade which is live on the country's credit card which was about to be withdrawn.

Yes WE ARE getting what WE ALL deserve.
Get yourself over the the 'we,re all in this together thread' you may be surprised. The was a minimal chance we would lose our AAA rating and that was largely due to concern about the potential incoming government.

As for this thread I think blaming the government for supply of vaccine is a mistake. They do however need to review their advice provided and also whether having gp's moving to their proposed model is a good thing in light of current circumstances.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
How come in just one year people have forgotten they need a flu jab?

Thing is should every single person get this flu jab? This is what is confusing people. They are saying the at risks groups are pregnant women, children and people with underlying health conditions. Problem is, if everyone wants it there is not enough to go around.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I guess the over riding point that jumps out of your post is peoples apathy. I'm not convinced that a TV ad will encourage pregnant mothers or elderly men to make the appointment. Pregnant mothers should be encouraged during their regular check ups anyway. I get my jab because I'm slightly asthmatic - it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to remind me about my flu jab when I pick up my repeat prescriptions. That said I really do think people should take more responsibility for their own health.

Agreed but advice when given needs to be unambiguous. The health minister last week was saying here was no need for mass immunisation and that could be read by many as the risk is low.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Agreed but advice when given needs to be unambiguous. The health minister last week was saying here was no need for mass immunisation and that could be read by many as the risk is low.

That statement is unambiguous - there is no need for everyone to have the jab - how much clearer could that be ? That leaves the at risk groups - the elderly, those in bad health, pregnant mothers and those with breathing issues such as asthma.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

That sounds like pretty unambiguous advice to me? If he had answered, "there might be a need for immunisation" then there would have been a media frenzy! What should he have said?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I got a letter from my doctors saying as I suffer from (albeit light) asthma I can book myself in for a jab.

Does this count?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This is typical of the Tory goverment not doing enough to ensure there is enough vaccine to fight this flu or provide decent information for people. And I don't expect it to get any better either. They don't care and they are completely out of touch.

At least Labour where on the ball with this, provided leaflets, information and started doing something about it.

When it comes to the crunch you will find Cameron and his buddies don't care, they will look after there own. Thats what the Tory goverment is about and has always been about.

For pity's sake Adrian,why does everything come down to 'the wicked Tories'?
Neither the Labour nor Tory Governments get it all right or all wrong and in this instance,what does your quote of 'they will look after their own' actually mean?Only those who voted Tory will get the flu jab or what!?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
That statement is unambiguous - there is no need for everyone to have the jab - how much clearer could that be ? That leaves the at risk groups - the elderly, those in bad health, pregnant mothers and those with breathing issues such as asthma.

But that isn't what he said. He was asked about under 5s and the elderly and he he advised that no mass immunisation was required. That would mean other at risk groups may also believe that if these sectors aren't being targeted that they too weren't in need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here