Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At least Falmer is not the only site to piss the CPRE off

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'Threat' to natural beauty sites

Beauty spots at nine sites throughout England are under threat from building and road developments, the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) says. The environmental lobby group said Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty were among locations under threat because rules were ignored.

Describing nine "jewels in the crown", it said proposals involved a football stadium, bypasses and a race track. It claimed local councils and government were "tearing up the rules". "The whole basis on which the nation's most beautiful countryside is there to be enjoyed by us all is called into question by a series of damaging proposals," said Tom Oliver, head of rural policy at the CPRE.

"Protected landscapes are only protected to the extent that the government and local authorities obey their own rules. Time and again, it appears that the government or a local council is tearing up the rules when a significant conflict arises between one of our finest landscapes and another interest," Mr Oliver said. "We have to ask, 'What is the point of having laws that protect our precious countryside if they are ignored when it really matters?'"

CPRE said its list included the A590 High and Low Newton Bypass, which "got the go-ahead despite running for its entire length through the Lake District National Park."

The other eight were:
Derbyshire: Proposal to renew activity at Backdale Quarry, north of Great Longstone in the Peak District National Park. Inquiry awaited

Devon: Plan to develop Dunkeswell Racing Circuit affecting the Blackdown Hills AONB. Partly approved but full planning decision awaited

Dorset: Plans to bypass a stretch of the A354 north of Weymouth which the CPRE says would damage the South Dorset Ridgeway and the Bincombe Valley in the Dorset AONB. Concerns for Dorset Wildlife Trust's Lorton Meadows Nature Reserve, ancient woodland in the Woodland Trust's Two Mile Coppice, and an area of archaeological interest. Planning application published

Kent: Plans for housing and science park in the Kent Downs AONB. Proposal

Peak District: Plans to upgrade the Mottram-Tintwistle bypass. Public inquiry expected
Lincolnshire: Wind farm at Fen Farm, near Conisholme. CPRE believes it will cause "visual intrusion" into the Lincolnshire Wolds AONB. Approved

Northumberland: Proposed wind farm at Plenmeller near Haltwhistle considered by the CPRE to be a "visual intrusion" to North Pennines AONB. Planning application expected

Sussex: New stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion FC and transport interchange at Falmer, within Sussex Downs AONB, proposed new national park. Permission granted subject to legal challenge

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The Large One said:
'Threat' to natural beauty sites

CPRE said its list included the A590 High and Low Newton Bypass, which "got the go-ahead despite running for its entire length through the Lake District National Park."

Er, no it doesn't. It runs across the bottom bit of the Lake District National Park, well south of any actual lakes, and between Kendal and Ulverston.

And the government approved it after a very long campaign by residents who were fed up with lorries speeding inches past their houses on a single-carriageway arterial route, and the council and businesses in the very deprived former shipbuilding town of Barrow, who wanted faster transport links to improve their town's economy. A local coroner also said that so many people were dying in accidents on the old, hazardous, A590 that a new one was necessary.

Once again, the CPRE takes one look at anything faintly democratic, and pokes it squarely in the eye.

Last edited:

Lord Bracknell said:
Listen to the Radio Four Today programme at 0834 - 0840 and catch an interview with Martin Perry.

And then later on Radio Five Live.
Developments in the Middle East seem to have disrupted the Today programme's running order.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I heard a tiny piece on 5 live this morning which concentrated on Nigel Mansell trying to turn some go cart track in Devon into a race track.

Presumably much more interesting.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Lord Bracknell said:
Developments in the Middle East seem to have disrupted the Today programme's running order.

Are the CPRE complaining about those too? Anywhere there's a development they love to stick their oar in....

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I find myself slightly baffled by the CPRE representative's assertion that up to a million people will enjoy the stadium every year, whereas 32 million people visit the downs.

The downs cover an area of some 1372 square kilometres (according to Hansard). The stadium will affect a tiny, tiny fraction of that. So if the argument is really to be won or lost on how many people will enjoy 'the area', the stadium wins hands down.

But even this argument assumes that the site we want to build on can realistically be defined as 'the downs'...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The Guardian has a full page on the whole issue today. To be honest, they could have repeated the very misleading "Falmer Pond" photo which seems to be the only one some newspapers possess. However, they have produced a piccie which was taken on a cloudy day (always helps), and shows a muddy field with the Brighton University buildings clearly in the background. Compared to the other pictures of sites not yet developed, it's easily the least attractive.

Having listened to the R4 piece, I think we came out of it pretty well. MP managed to get his points across*, the traffic noise was clearly audible in the background, and the town planning guy they interviewed next said all the right things.

*One thing he said was that the area had been an AONB for (I think) about 50 years, yet it hadn't stopped the A27, or the University buildings.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms said:
I find myself slightly baffled by the CPRE representative's assertion that up to a million people will enjoy the stadium every year, whereas 32 million people visit the downs.

The downs cover an area of some 1372 square kilometres (according to Hansard). The stadium will affect a tiny, tiny fraction of that. So if the argument is really to be won or lost on how many people will enjoy 'the area', the stadium wins hands down.

But even this argument assumes that the site we want to build on can realistically be defined as 'the downs'...

Oooh, don't get me started! The CPRE is a member of the South Downs Campaign and as such wholeheartedly supports the creation of a South Downs National Park, the main objection to which is the potential rise in the number of visitors to the area and the attendant stresses imposed on the infrastructure and natural habitat of the Downs and their environs. And yet the number of visitors to Falmer, which will not have any significant impact at all on the Downs beyond (perhaps) some slight increase in traffic on the Falmer-Woodingdean Road less than 30 times a year, is trotted out by these pompous hypocrits as a reason to stop the building of the stadium.

It's enough to make you weep, sometimes.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
While listening to the interview on the Today programme I was particularly cheered to hear the rumble of traffic along the A27 and not the sound of birdsong around that sodding duckpond!

I also thought that the case for the stadium came over very well with the CPRE buffoon left with a certain amount of egg on his face after trying to make a cheap jibe about MP leaving planning matters to the experts. Martin's next comment showing he WAS an expert!

I think the CPRE release has to be got into proportion though since they're mainly doing their annual "profile raising" stunt. That they're dead set against the stadium isn't news and whilst their latest statement of their case is briefly newsworthy it'll die a death soon enough. Especially when it becomes ever clearer that this so called "Jewel in the Crown" is actually a muddy field alongside a trunk road surrounded by two universities that are themselves something of a monument to concrete.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here