Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Astronomy question

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just curious, for the last couple of weeks as I walk to the station in the morning around 6ish, there is very, very bright object in the sky, roughly South-East. Far too bright to be a star, so it obviously a planet. Having checked the sky maps on ...

http://www.astronomy.co.uk/skyview

and it's clearly either Saturn or Jupiter. I didn't think Saturn ever gets that bright. However, the maps show Saturn to be roughly the right ascension, but due South, whilst Jove is the right direction but should be much lower in the sky - so which is it ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Jupiter, I've searched my loft for my old telescope but cant find the bloody thing, really want a closer look!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Jupiter, I've searched my loft for my old telescope but cant find the bloody thing, really want a closer look!

Thanks, I thought it probably was - I'm sure Saturn doesn't get that bright, and this thing is really very bright - you can't miss it. I would love to get a decent telescope - not sure whereabouts in Shoreham you are, but down here in Buckingham Road, there's just too much light around to get a decent view. Maybe when the councol runs out of money they'll have to turn off all the street lights and it'll be worth it.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
If you have an iPhone a good app is the Pocket Universe app. Basically you point your phone at the area of the sky you want to check and it will give you a map and names of the stars/planets you should be able to see.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've been watching that for the last couple of weeks wondering what planet it was. Its really 'twinkly' isn't it :)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If you have an iPhone a good app is the Pocket Universe app. Basically you point your phone at the area of the sky you want to check and it will give you a map and names of the stars/planets you should be able to see.

Yup, got it on my Desire, forgot about it - will give it a go tomorrow and see how accurate it is.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Thanks, I thought it probably was - I'm sure Saturn doesn't get that bright, and this thing is really very bright - you can't miss it. I would love to get a decent telescope - not sure whereabouts in Shoreham you are, but down here in Buckingham Road, there's just too much light around to get a decent view. Maybe when the councol runs out of money they'll have to turn off all the street lights and it'll be worth it.

i'm up by the Tesco roundabout so same problem with light here, anywhere north of the downs is good though

I've got Google Sky Map for my android phone

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fool, it is a Pink Floyd song Astronomy Domain

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
"Go and praise someone else's brat. We were led by a star.

Led by a bottle, more like. Go on, get out !"

Well - it is that time of year

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
Could be Saturn which is around at the same time as Venus but not as bright. Check it out with a telescope for rings.

This is also worth downloading - Stellarium. It is free and you can configure it to your location. Don't know if it works on one of these new fangled all singing and dancing phone things as mine just makes and receives calls. Mind you it only cost a tenner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here