Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Assuming L2 football next season

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I’m fast losing any optimism for staying up. I really don’t think we have the players or even worse they are not up for the fight.

So, assuming we go down, as manager of BHA what would you do to ensure that we bounce back next season. The only bright spark about next season is that league 2 wont have any teams with lost of money i.e MK Dons, but the pressure on the team will be huge

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think if Slade stayed we would have every chance of a quick return, but let's not write off our chances just yet eh!

Taking a slightly different tack (i.e. not manager), I would keep Slade. He sounds impressive, has got a decent track record, and lets face it we aren't going to get anyone decent while we're in League 2. I was thinking about it this morning, and tbh I can see why Slade took the job on a 6 month contract. If he saves us from relegation, he's the messiah, and there would be pressure on DK not to get rid of another decent manager, so he'd probably get a new contract. On the other hand if we go down (which now looks very likely) then we aren't in a position to get anyone better, so he gets a new contract.

I'd hope that a decent pre-season under Slade, giving him time to get his ideas and obvious drive and keen-ness across to the players, would give us enough to fight it out in towards the top of the division.

What I would also do is keep many of the players we have this season. They got us into this mess, I'm hoping at least some will want to stay to help us get out of it. Obviously the dross like Jarrett can go, and people like Whing who are out of contract we can't control, but I'd like to see the majority remain.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If we go down, I can't really see the current squad (not including loanees) having the 'ability' to bounce back immediately. We need a cull of players,even in L2.

Lets not forget, we failed to beat Luton over two games, and Shrewsbury from L2 this season.

If we go down, I can't really see the current squad (not including loanees) having the 'ability' to bounce back immediately. We need a cull of players,even in L2.

Lets not forget, we failed to beat Luton over two games, and Shrewsbury from L2 this season.

But we also drew with Man City, so therefore we could survive in the Premiership?

I don't think that logic holds up; the problem this year has been a combination of tactics and player motivation. Give a decent manager a full pre-season and I'd hope he'd be able to sort them out. Ultimately a lot of the players we have at this club were either here last season when we (deservedly) finished 7th, or have played for clubs higher up the league pyramid. They SHOULD have enough footballing ability to do well in League 2. It's just a question of whether they have the motivation to do so.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
But we also drew with Man City, so therefore we could survive in the Premiership?

I don't think that logic holds up; the problem this year has been a combination of tactics and player motivation. Give a decent manager a full pre-season and I'd hope he'd be able to sort them out. Ultimately a lot of the players we have at this club were either here last season when we (deservedly) finished 7th, or have played for clubs higher up the league pyramid. They SHOULD have enough footballing ability to do well in League 2. It's just a question of whether they have the motivation to do so.

I can't disagree with the majority of your post, but do think there are a few 'in contract' players that are sitting a little too comfortably in our club.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Last night felt so much like the Stoke game so not feeling great right now but do believe we have the manager right.... if not the players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
An unsuccessfull season in League 2 would see average crowds of below 3k imo, given the exhorbitant cost of watching the Albion and the feeling of negativity surrounding the club.

Relegation would be largely Dick Knight's responsibilty imo, harsh but true and would tarnish his excellent reputation.

I haven't felt this depressed about the Albion for years

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
One of Adams failings was that he brought in players who maybe on paper were championship players, but they either were not in the first team or were on the “way down”. Hawkins, McCleod? Maybe he thought that they would want to show desire,ability that they were still good enough for the Championship. Similarly, the large number of loans has been a disaster.

Next season, it’s important that we get in our own players and not loans (except for say injuries). Maybe we should also get up and coming players from league 2.

At the very least we don’t want players who see us just another pay day…….which I think a few have seen us

I can't disagree with the majority of your post, but do think there are a few 'in contract' players that are sitting a little too comfortably in our club.

Agreed. There are definitinely some that need to go. I just didn't want to turn this into a repetition of the 'Who would you keep from the current squad?' thread.

I also think Diffbrook makes a good point. We have signed (even recently) players on the way down. I appreciate that our injury crisis made urgent signings a requirement, but players such as Jarrett, who couldn't get near a game at Preston(?), have shown themselves to be the wrong sort for this club.

Next season we need a core of our own players, augmented by hopefully a couple of decent young L2 players. We can then add to that a couple of decent young loanees from Championship clubs that want to come to the club and prove that they are good enough to play for the club that owns them.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Its not going to be as easy as lot of people think just coming straight back up again (if indeed we DO go down).

I think we are relatively fortunate that I cant see the attendences dipping that far off where they are now, our Sky revenue will be around the same, so our financial state on the operationsl front should be about the same.

However loan signings do not come for free (well in most cases) accomodation and travel mount that bill higher, we are doing the right thing by putting resources into staying up because the club are thinking long term that the Falmer operation will simply just not be viable in L2 for more than a year or so. Its basic maths.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Half the players would leave.(the better ones)

Those left would be the crap ones.

We'd have crowds of 4k

Adams and DK have a lot to answer for.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Half the players would leave.(the better ones)

Those left would be the crap ones.

We'd have crowds of 4k

Adams and DK have a lot to answer for.

Thats one way of looking at it I suppose.

The other way is that we can keep the better ones out of contract and that surely only means Whing, by paying him that bit extra (to compensate for playing in league 2)

The other players out of contract, well would they be missed? I doubt it

As for Crowds, we have so many fickle fans that it depends on whether we are winning games more than what division we are in. When we were last in league 2, winning the league Withdean wasn't big enough.

What is quite clear, being relegated is gonna cost the board a lot of money in getting in a fair few new, hungry good players. Not guranteed in getting success and therefore bringing back the crowds, but not doing so will mean dross and lower crowds. The Board simply cant let that happen. I think they have too much to lose to allow freefall, so this summer their pockets will be burning.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Lots of people on this board seem to think we will lose most of our better players. I am not so sure. Not many clubs are going to think that our players are any good after this season. We could have a decent side and who knows who we may be bring in, we need to get players similar to McNulty.

Kuipers - Will Stay
Whing - Loves the club, good chance he will stay.
McNulty - Just signed and yet to get going with us, decent chance of staying.
Virgo - Brighton boy owes us alot but may well bugger off.
Elphick - again Brighton boy cant see many people in for him, will stay.
Carole - Was playing for Darlington for god sake! Should stay.
Jarrett - Will go
Livermore - Not sure how long his contract is but could stay to prove he is the CM we need!
Cox - No one will want him, will stay
Murray - Will go I think but we will at least get what we paid for him, need to re invest it.
Forster - Give him a coaching or Ass Manager role and I think he will stay

Sullivan - Will stay
Mcleod - Get rid
Hawkins - Get Rid
EL Abd - Will stay
Fraser - will stay
Davies - Only just signed and cant see anyone wanting him as he aint got going yet.
Owusu - Will go

On that basis (could be totally wrong) we have the base of a VERY good squad for league two. Few young hungry additions and may be an experienced CB and RS will get us firing.

sammy

Aug 23, 2005
portslade
Lots of people on this board seem to think we will lose most of our better players. I am not so sure. Not many clubs are going to think that our players are any good after this season. We could have a decent side and who knows who we may be bring in, we need to get players similar to McNulty.

Kuipers - Will Stay
Whing - Loves the club, good chance he will stay.
McNulty - Just signed and yet to get going with us, decent chance of staying.
Virgo - Brighton boy owes us alot but may well bugger off.
Elphick - again Brighton boy cant see many people in for him, will stay.
Carole - Was playing for Darlington for god sake! Should stay.
Jarrett - Will go
Livermore - Not sure how long his contract is but could stay to prove he is the CM we need!
Cox - No one will want him, will stay
Murray - Will go I think but we will at least get what we paid for him, need to re invest it.
Forster - Give him a coaching or Ass Manager role and I think he will stay

Sullivan - Will stay
Mcleod - Get rid
Hawkins - Get Rid
EL Abd - Will stay
Fraser - will stay
Davies - Only just signed and cant see anyone wanting him as he aint got going yet.
Owusu - Will go

On that basis (could be totally wrong) we have the base of a VERY good squad for league two. Few young hungry additions and may be an experienced CB and RS will get us firing.

I like what you have said there,can not find fault with that,you could be quite right there,nice one:bowdown:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I hope Jarrett stays, thought he was one of our better players last night. Sure, he made a couple of atrocioius passes late in the second half, but he looks like a player who, when on form and in a confident team, could be very good.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think if Slade stayed we would have every chance of a quick return, but let's not write off our chances just yet eh!

I think it's important we keep hold of Slade whether we stay up or go down, The last thing we need is a summer of indecision over who will be our manager next season. There's a big rebuilding job that needs doing at the Albion and that has to start after the last game of the season and by then Slade will know which players need getting shot of and who we need to keep, And he needs to be given the chance to bring in his own coaching staff as well. With all the players out of contract in the summer bringing in yet another new manager who has'nt worked with them could lead to contract decisions being made by the wrong people at the club.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

I agree with most of your assessment of who might stay and go, I think Jimmy McNulty had he not been injured might have left if we go down.

I don't think Virgo will go anywhere. I think Forster would definitely stay. Elphick, probably as he has not progressed this season but you never know, I expect a few League One clubs might be interested if not Championship. Ditto Cox.

Of the loanees I think Owusu is the only one who might stay, assuming Murray goes I think we could do a lot worse in a partner for Forster.
Of the short term signings I'm not sure, could go either way with most of them. Jarrett I think looks ok as a player but not totally commited perhaps? Birchall, he's not done much. Carole we all know about.

There are also Lynch and Robinson, I expect Lynch will be off unfortunately, Robinson will probably go too although I still think he'd be worth keeping.

Obviously it depends how we go for the rest of the season, but I'd probably keep Slade too. Give him a one year deal, unless the unlikely scenario of Gannon being interested arises.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here