Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Assessment from a legal alien purely on the football

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I got to New York today just in time for Kick off. I watched the game in the Manchester pub on 2nd Ave & 49th. I met a lovely old guy in there that has a daughter that lives in Brighton but he is a Londoner that supports Chelsea and also a Thai guy next to me that knew all about King Power invasion into Leicester and so knew a bit about the championship.
First off, I need to set the scene, the Manchester is a lovely little bar that has 3 big screens and the match was on 2 of them. Only thing is the TV's were mute and music was playing. Now at first I thought 'shit I hate it, turn it up', then I realised that I was just watching the football!! No Commentators, No Crowd, just the Football.
I thought we started well in the first 20 but looked nervy again, this proved decisive as the Bridders and Harper mistake eventually cost us the game.
However........
From the moment West Ham scored, we were incredible, total football!
Pass pass pass, movement, angles, through balls, chances, classy touches, tempo.....
It was fantastic to watch. The Chelsea pensioner and the Thai guy found themselves watching a game they had no interest in and were suddenly glued to the tv.
'Brighton play the right way', said the Chelsea Pensioner, 'I didn't think Brighton were that good at Leicester but they are making West Ham look silly' Said the Thai guy.
I thought back to all the dross I had seen over the years. The Gillingham years, second from bottom of the league season after season..Jeff Wood's team, Hinshelwood's team, Mark McGhee's (sometimes) teams, Slade's team and also (poor sod) Jimmmy Case's team. Dross, utter dross. Not now! I was in a bar in New York, watching my Brighton, my Seagulls play West Ham in a beautiful packed stadium and playing exciting scintilating football that had me glued to the tv, as well as my 2 new mates that all of a sudden were rooting for Brighton and having a go at the tv when the ref didnt give the 'Handball' penalties!
It was a real moment for me. I really think we have a team, that is not far from being great, a few tweeks here and there and we could be promotion contenders and still its not too late. Playing like that and we are going to give some side a huge drubbing sooner or later.
Yes I know we lost the game but as long as we play like that we are never losers, the final ball lacked at times but that will come, we weren't muscled out of the game as we have been in the last few games and our defense was solid. I am so excited about the future and so excited and proud to be a Brighton fan.
As Gus said tonight 'Brighton are back', and I think we are, but in the bigger picture, not just this game.
As I said this was an assessment on the football only. Also I think we became everyones second team in the Manchester pub today.
Up the Ablion, keep it up Gus !!!!!!!!:bhasign::clap2:

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
good post.

We're not the finished article Championship-wise, but we will get there. I have no doubt.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
good report and my feelings entirley. We are so near the final 11 being sorted.

Mine Would be:

Harper
Reyes
Greer
Vincelot
Painter / Calde

Noone
Vincete
Bridcut
Harley
Buckley

CMS

4-5-1 with a good midfield thats attack minded, but also work hard.

Hoskins
Painter /Calde
Sparrow
Casper
KLL

That to me is a very exciting team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here