Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Cole

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ronaldo never managed to get a look in when up against Cole when he was playing for Man U or Portugal.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The only one in Cole's class.

He is the least of our worries at inernational level.

I cant remember Cole ever getting a hiding of a right winger...ever
It would seem you now want him to unlock a defence as well... ?

No but I want him to be able to use his right foot once in a while so that he can cut inside and maybe be a bit less predictable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's all I can find on the WEB in a short search. Pundits are always banging on about it.

hmm both quotes from people who have a vested interest. I think you may be looking for excuses to run down one of our better players. Let's be honest no neutral (apart from Pele obviously) is gonna suggest we have many world class players, let alone the best in the world in any position given the startled rabbit in the headlights performances the whole England team put in against any HALF reasonable side.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No but I want him to be able to use his right foot once in a while so that he can cut inside and maybe be a bit less predictable.

Christ Chappers....you are a hard man to please !:p

And besides cut inside !....thats what our wingers do all the time... so Cole has to go on the over lap outside..

Its all Cappello's fault..... :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think you may be looking for excuses to run down one of our better players.

Nope. I just get pissed off when people make out a player is twice the player he really is.

Does it not frustrate you when Cole goes steaming down the line into a dead end that exists because his right back knows he can't cut in onto his right foot? Does it not frustrate you that he can only pass backwards because of his inability to use his right foot?

Don't get me wrong, I think he is excellent defensively but he is just SHIT when gets across the halfway line.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nope. I just get pissed off when people make out a player is twice the player he really is.

Does it not frustrate you when Cole goes steaming down the line into a dead end that exists because his right back knows he can't cut in onto his right foot? Does it not frustrate you that he can only pass backwards because of his inability to use his right foot?

Don't get me wrong, I think he is excellent defensively but he is just SHIT when gets across the halfway line.

Watching England frustrates me, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I do, however, think he is one of our better players so I guess I can forgive it when he does f*** up as he mostly appears to know what he is doing. He looks much better playing with the foreigners of Chelsea, on the rare occasions I see them, so some of his perceived problems with England may have something to do with his team mates limitations?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Possibly.

He still can't kick a ball with his right foot though.

In fairness, how many England players are genuinely two footed? David Beckham was probably the most one footed slowest World Class player I've ever seen but he was and still is WORSHIPPED

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Like most people i don't particularly like the guy but he is definately the best left back in the world. There is no one near him. Lahm can be a liability at the back at times. Ashley is solid as a rock at the back and he contributes a lot going forward.

Watch him for Chelsea and is unplayable, unfortunately for England he is playing in a team with no balance or clue how to attack as a team. Defensively he is always reliable for England though. If it wasnt for him I think things could be a whole lot worse.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

He seems to be pretty good at it at Chelsea though. I appreciate he has better players playing with him there but he still is pretty much a left winger for them

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
People keep banging on about Cole being the best left back in the world. If this is true then why is he SO SHIT going forward and why can't he use his RIGHT FOOT?

EH?

He had a shit game on Tuesday but seems to have escaped any poor reviews AGAIN.

Completely disagree - he's great going forward - he's got so many goals and assists for Chelsea this season and last season compared to other LBs - Check out the fantasy teams her's top by MILES.

As for the Right foot - is that a necessity for a left back? I don't think so atall...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In fairness, how many England players are genuinely two footed? David Beckham was probably the most one footed slowest World Class player I've ever seen but he was and still is WORSHIPPED

I'd say Beckham used his weaker foot more than most

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Ashley Cole is the best Left back England have ever had, and imho the best Left back in the world at the moment.

He doesnt have a right foot but then he doesnt need one. Would rather Gareth Barry have a right foot where he see's the ball in Centre Midfield regularly and having two good feet would be far more beneficial to him.

Your problem with Cole not having a right foot probably stems from the fact that he IS so attack minded that when he goes forward, which happens pretty regularly, he doesnt cut inside as much as he could! To add to this he can actually defend aswell. He and Gerrard are probably the only two players who are guaranteed a start! Ofcourse I'm not a fan of him as a person but as a footballer he is absolute quality.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Ashley Cole is the best Left back England have ever had, and imho the best Left back in the world at the moment.

He doesnt have a right foot but then he doesnt need one. Would rather Gareth Barry have a right foot where he see's the ball in Centre Midfield regularly and having two good feet would be far more beneficial to him.

Your problem with Cole not having a right foot probably stems from the fact that he IS so attack minded that when he goes forward, which happens pretty regularly, he doesnt cut inside as much as he could! To add to this he can actually defend aswell. He and Gerrard are probably the only two players who are guaranteed a start! Ofcourse I'm not a fan of him as a person but as a footballer he is absolute quality.

This. I think you have to distinguish between the man and the player. Many a rash judgement has been made when these lines become blurred.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
exactly, Lahm is a right back not a left back. Cole IS the best left back in the world... move on.

Lahm actually plays both positions for Germany and Bayern. I can't remember which way round they go but he plays one side for club and the other side for country...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah but I would play Lahm at left back ahead of Cole. Lahm is a FULL back, can play either side.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I actually think only Cole and Gerrard are the 2 England players who are beyond reproach for performance and effort during and after the World Cup.

I agree, I also think there is a greater problem on the other side of defence. Glen Johnson cant defend and loses the ball when he goes forward, what does he give to the team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here