Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Barnes is a hard-working player who knows how to score goals and gets better with every passing season.

Should we sell him? From a purely footbally perspective, only if we get a VERY good offer.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That is stupidly short sighted as it required you to sell a player for 750k each season. So who is for the chop next year then?

Not necessarily. All it means is that the outlay would be spread over the length of the contract.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I just don't understand why some people have it in for Ash. His work-rate, movement and positional play are all superb. Some people only seem to be able to see the player who puts the ball in the net at the end of the move.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I just don't understand why some people have it in for Ash. His work-rate, movement and positional play are all superb. Some people only seem to be able to see the player who puts the ball in the net at the end of the move.

Movement - spot on. He moves v well off the ball and often makes runs that draw defenders out - even if he doesnt get the ball. Also, his touch seems to have improved immensley...

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We really do not have to sell Barnes, with our current situation of one fit striker he is needed to either support or replace Ulloa.

Have the Albion become a club that needs to sell our young talented players and just replace with 30 something loanees.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, you are confirming I was right. CMS got 11 in half a season. I expect Barnes will never achieve that in the Championship.

Barnes played 514mins more than CMS last season, an equivalent of just over 5.5 games (including cup games). Yes, CMS scored more in less time last season, but highlighting CMS having half a season and not acknowledging Barnes missed almost as much is deceptive.

We also should acknowledge the season before where CMS played the equivalent of over 3 games more than Barnes (including cup games), yet Barnes scored 14 to CMS's 10 (all competitions).

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We also should acknowledge the season before where CMS played the equivalent of over 3 games more than Barnes (including cup games), yet Barnes scored 14 to CMS's 10 (all competitions).
Being the penalty taker helps....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Plenty of Plymouth fans didn't rate Ashley either and were happy to see the back of him....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i would keep him...he's young and could gain a lot from oscar's tutelage.....imho. we need a becchio type addition to the squad then with all our injured players back we would have a handy looking team.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Plenty of Plymouth fans didn't rate Ashley either and were happy to see the back of him....

How many of them?

7%, the same amount that your Ashley Barnes poll currently shows?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How many of them?

7%, the same amount that your Ashley Barnes poll currently shows?

Goes up to over 30% if we could sell him for over a million though

I've no idea how many Plymouth fans tbh but I seem to remember he got quite a bit of abuse and rather enjoyed scoring against them when we went down there and beat them. Maybe he is used to a number of his own fans being twats and abusing him from the stands :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bit of a badly thought through poll though, well ok that is unfair, you probably cleverly designed it to make it look like people want Barnes out. I can't imagine anyone would turn down £100m for him. The phrase "over a million" covers quite a lot so you are bound to get a large percentage in that category.

err no quite a few people have said that they'd take a figure of over a million, so I assumed they would be intelligent enough to work out that I actually meant over 1 million. I imagine most who took that option were not thinking of much over a million. If we thought we'd get £100 million everyone would have taken that option. As it happens the majority seem happy for him to stay given how few would take a derisory 500k. There is so much vitriol posted about Barnes and the poll would suggest that most of it is from a very small minority who just repeat the insults ad nauseaum.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
e4e5etaj.jpg

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Barnes is a hard-working player who knows how to score goals and gets better with every passing season.

By the time he is 30 he should be ok for a starting spot then,.... good value.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So he isn't going then. Well done BHAFC & Oscar. Thread closed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here