Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Not offering new contracts soon enough seem's to be our Achilles heel that's one thing we need to brush up on

You say that, but I can't think of anyone in recent years who's either left on a free, or been sold cheaply near the end of his contract. You could argue Murray, but we did offer something (it just wasn't what he wanted)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe CMS wasn't as good as Gus had hoped and he felt it wasn't worth tinkering with the passing style that had served him well the previous season and to the detriment of other players to try and incorporate him?

Indeed. And Gus may have made the correct call. Who knows? But I believe Oscar will give CMS more opportunities.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If that was the case, he should've sold him when he had the chance instead of continually playing him isolated up front.

Good point.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You say that, but I can't think of anyone in recent years who's either left on a free, or been sold cheaply near the end of his contract. You could argue Murray, but we did offer something (it just wasn't what he wanted)

And if rumour is to be believed we/Tony were prepared to pay what he wanted but Gus didnt rate him/want to whatever the reason.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We got £170K for Steve Cook in Jan 2012.
A tribunal fixed the price for Grant Hall as he wouldn't sign a new contract for us, preferring to go to Spurs. The Sun reported it as 1.5 million?

So only Murray was lost on a free.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We got £170K for Steve Cook in Jan 2012.
A tribunal fixed the price for Grant Hall as he wouldn't sign a new contract for us, preferring to go to Spurs. The Sun reported it as 1.5 million?

So only Murray was lost on a free.

'Only' Murray. And what would he be worth now?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
'Only' Murray. And what would he be worth now?

Who knows? Never kicked a ball as a premiership player, still injured and not that young.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Many older Albion fans I am sure would feel any Brighton player signing for Palace would be making the wrong choice, Nothing to do with whether or not it was good for his career.

I'm sorry, how do you know how long I've been supporting the club? At the end of the day, he went to palace, got a substantial sign on fee, a wage increase and then got promoted which would probably have included another wage increase.

You can't argue he made the wrong decision however much you or I hate Palace.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'm sorry, how do you know how long I've been supporting the club? At the end of the day, he went to palace, got a substantial sign on fee, a wage increase and then got promoted which would probably have included another wage increase.

You can't argue he made the wrong decision however much you or I hate Palace.
Oh dear, I am not arguing he made a good or bad decision for himself.
I am just stating that for many older Albion fans, any Brighton player choosing to sign for the enemy is automatically not a good choice. In fact if under the circumstances, had he signed for anyone else, he would be still held in high regard for his last season with us.

I would say, you were not following the Albion during the 70/80's, because I would not have to explain my comments to you if you had been.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here