Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You know the thread is deteriorating when two posters argue over stats on wikipedia!

TBH Wikipedia is inconsistent between its 2 pages! And others have even more favourable CMS stats.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Here you go:

CMS appeared played 2249 of 3362 league minutes prior to his long term injury. He scored eleven times in that period resulting in a rate of one goal every 204.5mins.

As he played 66.89% of the season before his injury, let's make an assumption he plays the same percentage of the reamining game time.

The reamining games, league and play offs, consisted of 1240mins. 66.89% of that is approximately 829.5mins

At a goal rate of one goal every 204.5mins, that means in 829.5mins he will score 4 goals.

CMS was therefore on target for 15 goals last season, before his long term injury.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Here you go:

CMS appeared played 2249 of 3362 league minutes prior to his long term injury. He scored eleven times in that period resulting in a rate of one goal every 204.5mins.

As he played 66.89% of the season before his injury, let's make an assumption he plays the same percentage of the reamining game time.

The reamining games, league and play offs, consisted of 1240mins. 66.89% of that is approximately 829.5mins

At a goal rate of one goal every 204.5mins, that means in 829.5mins he will score 4 goals.

CMS was therefore on target for 15 goals last season, before his long term injury.

Ha!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Here you go:

There are a lot of assumptions in there, but if you say so.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

There are two assumptions:

1: That his goal scoring rate remains consistent
2: That his game time rate remains consistent.

Those are the same assumptions anyone makes when they make a crude "he scored this many in the first half of the season, ergo he'll score this many in the second half". Only I've used more accurate numbers.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I agree with what you say, but the one difference is that Burnley play with what too many on NSC want, which is two up top. Beyond wads more cash, this is the only explanation I can think of for Barnes to prefer Burnley to Brighton. Oh, I almost forgot, there's the abuse he undergoes from Brighton fans. That is something that we can do something about.

True, but Barnes has always been bit of a Marmite player at the club. He's taken a bigger share of flak than others in the squad. Disciplinary lapses last season were really regrettable and fans were particularly fed up with these. The point I'm making is Barnes is unlikely to wish to leave because he takes stick from the supporters. If he was that sensitive he would have gone years ago and certainly turned down his last contract extension.

There won't be wads of cash on the table from Burnley. I hope he stays - if his head is right, he has the potential to become a very good player indeed.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

loser-hand-sign.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 55s
News from Burnley that former #bhafc striker Sam Vokes has signed a new contract. Barnes would be third choice there, at least until summer.

It makes you wonder if Barnes was being 'used' as a bargaining tool by Burnley?

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
The key point is that if he doesn't sign a contract extension , we need to get as much as possible now

I believe we have the cover in the squad with Buckley, Ulloa fit and CMS coming back

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There are two assumptions:

1: That his goal scoring rate remains consistent
2: That his game time rate remains consistent.

Those are the same assumptions anyone makes when they make a crude "he scored this many in the first half of the season, ergo he'll score this many in the second half". Only I've used more accurate numbers.

Fair enough, but I would say that both are arguable. Nevertheless, 15 would still be good at this level, and not meriting disrespect from one of his alleged supporters.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Haven't read the thread in full but £1 million? Yes please. Barnes is not going to get any better than being an average Championship striker. We presumably have sights set on the Premiership and if we make it, we need to have quality players to keep us there. Barnes along with CMS are not those kind of players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Haven't read the thread in full but £1 million? Yes please. Barnes is not going to get any better than being an average Championship striker. We presumably have sights set on the Premiership and if we make it, we need to have quality players to keep us there. Barnes along with CMS are not those kind of players.

Seems a bit harsh. Barnes is improving all the time. And I'm not sure we've seen the best of CMS yet.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 55s
News from Burnley that former #bhafc striker Sam Vokes has signed a new contract. Barnes would be third choice there, at least until summer.

It makes you wonder if Barnes was being 'used' as a bargaining tool by Burnley?

We all know Vokes is staying at Burnley long term however Ings is the one that the likes of Liverpool, West Ham, Spurs & some others may be interested in as a 3rd/4th/5th choice striker and one for the future to develop. Also, how likely is it Vokes and Ings remain injury free for the rest of the season? If he goes, Barnes is likely to be first choice at Burnley as far as I'm concerned and he is good enough too. Saying that I hope we get him to sign a long term contract with us.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Seems a bit harsh. Barnes is improving all the time. And I'm not sure we've seen the best of CMS yet.

Barnes: I really want him to do well, but I just can't see him as improving enough to be a Premiership striker.

CMS: He didn't impress with Peterborough in the Championship first time round.Hasn't really set the Championship on fire (injury aside) since he has been with us. Also players that rely on pace don't always come back as good as previously, probably a mental thing re tweaking an old injury.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Barnes: I really want him to do well, but I just can't see him as improving enough to be a Premiership striker.

If he continues the season on season improvement he has made since arriving here I'd suggest he has a very good chance of getting into the Premier League. There are plenty of strikers who didn't make it until they were considerably older than Barnes. Too many people underrate AB and forget how young he still is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here