Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes To Ashes tonight

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
HMMM dont get me wrong, i enjoyed it and life on mars was the best thing on tv for years BUT i dont think they needed to play the whole 'time traveller' aspect again. I thought that it was going to be a spin off featuring the character of gene hunt in the 80's. lets face it the character is strong enough to carry it.

Keeley Hawes is lovely but they are just replaying exactly the same story but with a bird in the lead character.

More gene hunt please

But isn't the show not really about time travel but played out in the mind of the lead character thereby meaning that without the lead character Gene Hunt would't actually exist ???

Last edited:

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I must admit I'm really surprised by all the posters who seem to have enjoyed this prog. I quite liked Life on Mars for the novelty value but I thought last nights effort was very poor. Clumsy, clunky storyline with too many overplayed characters and appaling soundbite dialogue. I was hoping for something a bit more subtle, and I also thought the leading lady looked like a bloke in drag in some of the scenes. Why they couldn't have just done a quality remake of The Sweeney without all the time travel crap I'll never know.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I must admit I'm really surprised by all the posters who seem to have enjoyed this prog. I quite liked Life on Mars for the novelty value but I thought last nights effort was very poor. Clumsy, clunky storyline with too many overplayed characters and appaling soundbite dialogue. I was hoping for something a bit more subtle, and I also thought the leading lady looked like a bloke in drag in some of the scenes. Why they couldn't have just done a quality remake of The Sweeney without all the time travel crap I'll never know.
Agreed. I loved 'Life on Mars' but I thought this was disappointing; maybe I was expecting too much. I shall probably continue to watch it but not with the same anticipation that I had for each episode of Life on Mars.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I enjoyed it as the comedy drama it has become.

Gene Hunt has the best lines. Will definitely be watching the rest of the series.

"Fire up the Quattro"

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Don't analyse it too much, just enjoy it for it's entertainment value.

Best line last night 'Get me out of this red dress before Chris de Burgh writes a song about me'

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
f*** me with the amount of SOAPS and REALITY COBBLERS that perpetuates our screens along with Z Lists on ice and shit like that when something original, thought provoking, funny etc comes on the TV people knock it.

SAKE

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I really enjoyed it.

I feel there will be quite a few twists from the simple 'in a coma' plot in this one, as they've already started from the premise that Alex Drake thinks she understands everything from the start.

It's interesting that Sam Tyler apparently lived a further 7 years in this world after the end of LoM, which may be important to the plot later, as may the fact that his body was never found.. .perhaps a cameo appearance by John Simm in series 2?

Finally, this will always be a different style to all subsequent episodes - as this was an establishing episode, and the same was true with LoM.

8/10

Papa

COUPLE MORE POINTS

Great usage of the Clash "I fought the Law" Lets hope there's London Calling and the rest of top Clash hits to come. "City of the Dead" could be another one.

I'M wondering about the role of the little girl, she didn't get shot, but escaped, what was that about? I reckon, its her (now in her 20's in 2008) thinking about or reading her mum's life in 1981?

The girl's Dad? Was that drug dealing dodgy city broker 20 years later?

??

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
A great scene setter last night and I'm sure as the plot unfolds it will get even better.

And as for Keeley Hawes, I only hope she is related to Andrew in some way so we might get to meet her:thumbsup:

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Bloody missus spilled hot tea all over herself after 20 minutes and I had to deal with the scalded aftermath so I missed the rest - anyone know if it is repeated on any of the numerous BBC outlets before next week?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Bloody missus spilled hot tea all over herself after 20 minutes and I had to deal with the scalded aftermath so I missed the rest - anyone know if it is repeated on any of the numerous BBC outlets before next week?

Making the unmissable, unmissable ring any bells ;)

It'll be on the BBC iplayer

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I enjoyed it, but maybe was expecting too much.

At times it seemed like a Catherine Tait sketch and a spoof Sweeney sketch.

Not sure about the shoot out ............ not sure how the machine gun fired 300 shots from point blank range and the copper jumped over every shot, great feet !

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I enjoyed it, but maybe was expecting too much.

At times it seemed like a Catherine Tait sketch and a spoof Sweeney sketch.

Not sure about the shoot out ............ not sure how the machine gun fired 300 shots from point blank range and the copper jumped over every shot, great feet !

As has been pointed out a number of times on here and other forums, they were the A Team, so nobody can die... it is after all a world created in Alex's mind.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

Because its all in someones imagination!! A herd of Zebras could walk past and you still could not question it.

I think it's TV at its best and should just be enjoyed. I don't understand why people have to dissect and question everything?

Beats all the usual celebrity chefs dancing on ice crap!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I enjoyed it and loved the 80s pastiche however the 80s was my decade of fun

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here