• Empty

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Norman, it is only a TV show, deal with it

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deeno36

May 21, 2010
Can someone explain what happened as I didn't understand??

Gene hunt was a cooper shot dead in 1960's. he somehow creates a world where dead or almost dead cooper from the future can travel to and live as a copper again. After a while they forget their real lives and become part of Genes World as if always been there.

Sam almost dies and goes back to 1970's. When he revives from his coma he decides he prefers the Gene World and commits suicide. Before this though he is interviewed by Alex who keeps a file on him.

Alex then gets shot and goes to 80's Gene World. She finds out that this is a sort of purgory for dead cops.

Chris being shot
Ray commiting suicide
Shaz stabbed

They soon forget their real lives.

Alex thought she was still alive but finds out she is really dead.

Keats is some kind of soul catcher who tries and lures the cops souls to Hell but Gene is such a powerful figure he cant do this unless they lose faith in him.

The railway arms (from life on mars) is a doorway to the afterlife when the coopers time in Genes world is up (or when they figure it out like Sam, Alex, Shaz, Ray and Chris).

But did anyone notice that the new copper at the end arrived in the 90's?? I am sure Mercedez Benz was a 90's car.......and that was the leaflet Gene was looking at...also Sam in the 70's Alex 80s...new guy 90's ???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would suggest a subtle yet important difference to the interpretation put forward earlier.

Keats is certainly either 'The Devil' or demon, trying to either steal souls (Viv and the undercover cop) or lure them down into (presumably) hell. NELSON is the closest we get to a God like figure, with his pub being the gateway to Heaven. Finally, Gene has 'appointed himself' the keeperof purgatory by sheer force of will alone, the fact that he has a grave attests to his human origins. Having created this 'world' his role is to guide dead coppers to heaven,although clearly he has forgotten his death and how he got there (as has everyone else who died, Chris, Shaz, Ray and to an extent, Alex)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would suggest a subtle yet important difference to the interpretation put forward earlier.

Keats is certainly either 'The Devil' or demon, trying to either steal souls (Viv and the undercover cop) or lure them down into (presumably) hell. NELSON is the closest we get to a God like figure, with his pub being the gateway to Heaven. Finally, Gene has 'appointed himself' the keeperof purgatory by sheer force of will alone, the fact that he has a grave attests to his human origins. Having created this 'world' his role is to guide dead coppers to heaven,although clearly he has forgotten his death and how he got there (as has everyone else who died, Chris, Shaz, Ray and to an extent, Alex)

Not exactly your average cop show is it?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
But did anyone notice that the new copper at the end arrived in the 90's?? I am sure Mercedez Benz was a 90's car.......and that was the leaflet Gene was looking at...also Sam in the 70's Alex 80s...new guy 90's ???

I thought the new guy mentioned an IPhone, so presumably was meant to be from the present day. I may have misheard though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought the new guy mentioned an IPhone, so presumably was meant to be from the present day. I may have misheard though.

He did say Iphone

The spooky appearance of Dixon of Dock Green at the very end was a nice touch. Especially since PC George Dixon's first appearance was in the 1950 film, The Blue Lamp, in which he was killed, only to return again in the TV series which ran from 1955 to 1976.

Not exactly your average cop show is it?
In a funny sort of way, it was. About 95 per cent of each episode was a freestanding "cops catch the bad guys" story. The big running theme - who are these people and what the hell is going on? - was played with a very light touch throughout the series. Only tonight did the power of that theme burst out.

Brilliant stuff.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Farkin' brilliant. I'm always dead partial to a spot of allegory and this finale couldn't be beaten on that score. Full of tiny, carefully placed incidents/references that were very meaningful yet could also be missed without damaging the story. When it comes to it, the battle for souls is a cracking theme and this particular conflict was impeccably plotted. Top work!

PS. I distinctly heard "iPhone" from the new arrival.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I feel sorry for Wifey.
She accidently drank 3/4s of a bottle of wine, his evening, before nodding off at 9:05. :lol:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
The spooky appearance of Dixon of Dock Green at the very end was a nice touch. Especially since PC George Dixon's first appearance was in the 1950 film, The Blue Lamp, in which he was killed, only to return again in the TV series which ran from 1955 to 1976.

I didn't realise that. Makes the ending even more brilliant

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

Gene is some sort of angel guiding people who've died in the police force and helping them to come to terms with their deaths at which point evrybody 'ascended' except Gene and Keats (demon?)
. I think, anyway :) highlight the white text to read, just in case of spoilers :)

Well that makes sense as I was left with unanswered questions. Excellent series and best line "You've killed my Quattro". :clap2:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Well that makes sense as I was left with unanswered questions. Excellent series and best line "You've killed my Quattro". :clap2:

I will have to stop selective reading and read the whole thread in future.:shootself

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Brilliant, brilliant programme. Huge fan and glad the ending lived up to the preceding series.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I took the Black landlord guy to be St Peter.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park

sorry could you explain this to me, who was Dixon? the ghost in Gene's office door at the end??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here