Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes Cricket 2009

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Yes, just been playing it for the past hour or so. It's okay. I suppose I had unrealistic expectations.

Graphics are VERY similar to the last Brian Lara games, and the players look almost identical (i.e. generally nothing like their real life counterparts). The bowling is good and works pretty well, but the batting is a bit of a let down. As in previous Brian Lara games you select where you want to play the shot first, and then simply swing the remote (read in previous games clicking a button); doesn't matter whether you play a straight drive or an uppercut, the ball goes wherever you've pre-aimed.

Gameplay is also not perfect; was supposedly caught on the boundary when the graphic showed the player simply stopping the ball (because to catch it he would have had a foot over the rope), and there are other (relatively) small foibles. AI tactics are very much in one day mode, which is annoying given that it's sold as an Ashes game; bowlers are rotated strangely (in a Test match Lee opened, then Johnson, at which point I was 11-2 and they bought on some random 3rd quick instead of keeping with Lee) and the limited field settings mean that in some cases the AI quickly switches between very attacking and very defensive fields.

Overall, it's a reasonable game, but could have been so much more.

cheers for the review. sounds like it's pretty much what i was expecting.

hopefully it'll be a big seller and they'll keep updating it. i would imagine some development time with the motion plus thingy would result in a far better game.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Just ordered it online. Looking forward to it, If its anything like the last brian Lara game, then it will be good.

You mean the game where even on the hardest difficulty you (and the computer) would happily romp along scoring 20 an over yet wouldn't be able to take the simplest of catches? That game was COMICALLY flawed.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I bought mine on the Wii this morning from Hollingbury ASDA, behind me in the queue buying the PS3 version was........ Adam Virgo!!

First impressions are it's an average cricket game, where on the Wii it could have been awesome.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I bought mine on the Wii this morning from Hollingbury ASDA, behind me in the queue buying the PS3 version was........ Adam Virgo!!

First impressions are it's an average cricket game, where on the Wii it could have been awesome.
Lets hope he's not up late tonight playing it - David James style!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As in previous Brian Lara games you select where you want to play the shot first, and then simply swing the remote (read in previous games clicking a button); doesn't matter whether you play a straight drive or an uppercut, the ball goes wherever you've pre-aimed.

That for me sounds like a FUNDAMENTAL flaw, removing all semblance of instinct and proper decision-making from the game. So I will not be bothering with it.

I'm saving my pennies for Tiger Woods 2010, now that they've snorted the putting.

That for me sounds like a FUNDAMENTAL flaw, removing all semblance of instinct and proper decision-making from the game. So I will not be bothering with it.

I'm saving my pennies for Tiger Woods 2010, now that they've snorted the putting.

Oh it is. I can only assume that they've done it because it is too difficult for the wii to work out the direction of shots from the swing, which is pretty piss poor to be honest.

I have also shelled out for Tiger Woods, and I can heartily recommend it. It is QUALLA.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
We are getting a copy at work so I'm gonna borrow that and see what it's like before deciding to whether to buy it.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I got the Wii version in the post today, its pretty much like all cricket games on consoles, absolute PONY. I will be sending it back to Amazon tomorrow.

Its a shame because if they'd actually spent some time on developing it properly it could of been amazing.:nono:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Yes, just been playing it for the past hour or so. It's okay. I suppose I had unrealistic expectations.

Graphics are VERY similar to the last Brian Lara games, and the players look almost identical (i.e. generally nothing like their real life counterparts). The bowling is good and works pretty well, but the batting is a bit of a let down. As in previous Brian Lara games you select where you want to play the shot first, and then simply swing the remote (read in previous games clicking a button); doesn't matter whether you play a straight drive or an uppercut, the ball goes wherever you've pre-aimed.

Gameplay is also not perfect; was supposedly caught on the boundary when the graphic showed the player simply stopping the ball (because to catch it he would have had a foot over the rope), and there are other (relatively) small foibles. AI tactics are very much in one day mode, which is annoying given that it's sold as an Ashes game; bowlers are rotated strangely (in a Test match Lee opened, then Johnson, at which point I was 11-2 and they bought on some random 3rd quick instead of keeping with Lee) and the limited field settings mean that in some cases the AI quickly switches between very attacking and very defensive fields.

Overall, it's a reasonable game, but could have been so much more.

sums up what Codemasters have been doing to the Brian Lara series, could've been so much better but the little things let it down big time.
I'll get a rented copy and try it on a mates Wii before I even think about buying the console just for this game.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've played it for an hour or so the other night, and it's ok... nothing more. The commentary borrows a lot from Brian Lara as well.

I only played it on the easy level, but for a 1st try I bowled Australia out for 136, and I'm 120-3 in reply.

I'm not sure, but I think there is a way to play more instinctively, which is not to select your shot direction, but use the remote to hit in a certain direction after the delivery. I think it works.

The graphics are ok

The bowling is good, but I found an easy way to bowl unplayable deliveries - getting huge out / in swing.

The players look absolutlely fack all like the real players... just look at Luke Wright for example.

If I'm wrong about the not selecting the direction trick above, then the batting is poor.

I hope on Test level the scoring is more difficult, as I was scoring at 10 an over with ease against Australia's finest!

6/10

Papa

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i bought it and with all computer games i am shite at it!

i cant bat at all.....

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I've read some good reviews about the PS3 version, shame i hate cricket really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here