Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes 2010: 5 days to go

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:clap::vuvu2:

I can't remember an Ashes tour which has started so well for England. Normally by this point, one of the key batsmen has broken a finger after being hit in a net session by a 19 year old Victorian second string medium pacer, and someone else has been sent home because of "family issues". The team would have struggled to a draw against one of the state sides and been hammered by Australia A, as well as being hammered in the press by Dennis Lillee as "the worst England side ever".

WHAT IS GOING ON?? We appear to be winning games, have a fully fit squad, have no selection problems, and Australia are in relative disarray (notice this morning they've dropped Nathan Hauritz for Brisbane), with two recent Test defeats behind them and few of their players in any kind of form.

Is there actually a chance that England might do it this time, or is it going to be yet another false dawn? We were optimistic last time out, but one ball from Harmison screwed all that up. This time the optimism seems to have a little more foundation...but I still can't quite bring myself to believe it.

Can't WAIT :clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I can't wait either edna. It all feels like it's going well doesn't it but remember it's in their backyard and they still have class players like Ponting, Clarke and Mr Cricket Mike Hussey. The Oz have dropped Nathan H in favour of this Xavier bloke (I think) so not sure how that will pan out. Even with the doubts surrounding the Oz team, it will be a massive achievement for us to win an Ashes series in Oz. Drawing the series and retaining the Ashes will do for me. Come on England!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How long are you out there for, just the Brisbane Test?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Edna you are the only other woman other than my wife that I know who both understands and enjoys cricket! I see a lot of women at the footy but why don't any of them like cricket as well. I'm very lucky in my house, its sport sport sport on the TV 24/7! Oh and can't you call in a few favours at the airport to 'delay' his flight?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't wait either edna. It all feels like it's going well doesn't it but remember it's in their backyard and they still have class players like Ponting, Clarke and Mr Cricket Mike Hussey. The Oz have dropped Nathan H in favour of this Xavier bloke (I think) so not sure how that will pan out. Even with the doubts surrounding the Oz team, it will be a massive achievement for us to win an Ashes series in Oz. Drawing the series and retaining the Ashes will do for me. Come on England!

Oh I totally agree. We're right on the money, playing well, pretty much all the batsmen have been scoring, the bowlers look confident, and results have gone well. Australia are exactly the opposite. Any other team's fans would be full of it....yet we know from previous attempts how quickly England's hopes have gone up in smoke in the past.

To be fair to England, there does seem to be genuine reason for the expectations this time, whereas I think on the last tour it was perhaps built on blind optimism alone, with little actual substance. And they were facing the final knockings of a great Australian team. Whereas now, the only real relic of that era is Ponting. How on earth would you replace Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Gilchrist, Hayden, Langer and the rest?

Anyway, until proven otherwise, I fully expect Australia to come roaring out of the blocks as usual, at least one England player to have his tour ended through injury by the end of day one, Strauss to completely arse up his call on the toss, and the media Down Under to be laying into England and laughing mercilessly as the home side rack up 380/1 by tea :thumbsup:

Such is the effect of years of Ashes beatings :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If we bowl first a good omen will be what the first ball bowled is like, if it is anything like that wide by Harmison we're doomed

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I always like to listen to a bit of 12th Man around this time just before an Ashes series, makes me laugh anyway:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If we bowl first a good omen will be what the first ball bowled is like, if it is anything like that wide by Harmison we're doomed

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I've got Sky Sports so will be having a few late nights but I see that ITV 4 is showing highlights each evening. Is it just ITV or is the beeb or Ch 5 going to show any highlights?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here