Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asda staff to strike.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Guess it time to vote with my cash card. Believe shop staff are paid around £5-60 p/h.(guess that is the going rate?) :angry: Think a firm of that size can pay more? Time to Boycott Asda.
:albion:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
It's a minimum wage job (well, technically not, but near enough)

Doesn't require a great deal of skill, so why should employers pay anymore? Not a shortage of supply for workers...

(incidentally i think supermarket staff should get paid more. Unless you work in one, you often don't realise how rude and unpleasant some people in this world are. Plus the job can be incredibly boring)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having shopped in ASDA for a few years, I noticed a massive drop in staff morale since the Yanks took over.

I was in there a few months ago and there was a girl with a very, very bad cold at the checkout - she could hardly speak, water streaming from her eyes etc..

I asked her why she didn't go home and she explained that if she did whe wouldn't get paid.

I won't be shopping in there until the dispute is resolved.

Dandyman

In London village.
Walmart subsidary.

Walmart = spawn of the Devil.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I hope they don't close the stores while they're on strike. There will be pikey scumbags everywhere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They're striking next Saturday - the day England will play their Quarter Final (after they're past their bye this Sunday).

I don't care. I shop at Tesco.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Oh no!!! They're striking for a whole day!!!
How are shoppers going to cope with only the six other days that week to choose from.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
clapham_gull said:
Having shopped in ASDA for a few years, I noticed a massive drop in staff morale since the Yanks took over.

I was in there a few months ago and there was a girl with a very, very bad cold at the checkout - she could hardly speak, water streaming from her eyes etc..

I asked her why she didn't go home and she explained that if she did whe wouldn't get paid.

I heard a much worse story about the Tesco's attitude to staff sickness.

a friend of mine had glandular fever, she was really ill and run down, was coming to college cos she couldn't afford to get behind and trying to go to work.

it was really getting on top of her, she had been in a shift for an hour and felt awful, and asked if she could go home.

a supervisor gave her hell, told her to stop taking liberties, so she just walked out and left.

bastards they were for that...she was doing her best to keep going when anyone else would have been at home, the state she was in.

:angry:

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
clapham_gull said:

I work in ASDA myself and I've been in that sitation before myself - we simply can't afford to just go home.

We get paid £5.94 an hour, more than any other supermarket I believe. However, until you've done an eight hour shift of sitting on one of those checkouts, you will never know how boring it is. From the moment I start I begin to count down the minutes. Its the most depressing job in the world.

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
seagulljaz said:
was thinking of applying for a checkout job in co-op dont think ill bother now

Don't ever do checkouts. Shop floor is bearable because you have people to talk to and you can walk around, but whatever you do don't get a job on checkouts.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I believe it is only the people who do the job I do for Sainsbury's, for ASDA that are going on strike. That being Distribution Centres, warehouses in other words.

I work in one of Mr Sainsbury's better paid RDC's but even so I am only on about £11 an hour + shift allowence + bonus :) all in all about £30,000 a year for 2 days and 2 nights 4 on 4 off.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Dawsey said:
I work in ASDA myself and I've been in that sitation before myself - we simply can't afford to just go home.

We get paid £5.94 an hour, more than any other supermarket I believe. However, until you've done an eight hour shift of sitting on one of those checkouts, you will never know how boring it is. From the moment I start I begin to count down the minutes. Its the most depressing job in the world.
Oh well living in China, of course you cant change your job

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The way things are going the ever-growing tide of Poles coming into the South East will be quite happy to take these jobs at £5 an hour or under I shouldn't wager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here