Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asda - opening boxing day and new years day.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't there legislation about shop sizes etc and when they can open?The average supermarket upwards are in the class of being able to open everyday except christmas day and easter sunday I think.

The size limit is for Sunday Trading laws.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
but we get f*** all extra, just normal rate for NYE and Crimbo eve.

Just in case anyone feels compelled to come in and buy windscreen wipers on Christmas Eve.

I think you'll find virtually every employee in the country works Christmas Eve and NYE as normal working days - retail or not !

I used to work in hotels and personally I loved working Christmas Day, Boxing Day etc - lots of happy people, great laugh - much better than the anti-climax of Boxing Day at home. That said I did get double time and decent tips on those days !

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think you'll find virtually every employee in the country works Christmas Eve and NYE as normal working days - retail or not !

I used to work in hotels and personally I loved working Christmas Day, Boxing Day etc - lots of happy people, great laugh - much better than the anti-climax of Boxing Day at home. That said I did get double time and decent tips on those days !

The vast majority of office workers usually finish at one PM on both days.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
on a voluntary basis, like anyone's going to come in and work for time n'alf.
Soon it'll be open everyday of the year!

that is all.

As Xmas Day and Boxing Day falls at the weekend the 27th and 28th are designated as public holidays. GMB needs to ratify that Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th is also manned on a voluntary basis at time and a half. I am contracted to work Mondays so I go in for the money whereas 80% will do their 2 bank holidays a year and get paid normal rate for the rest by not going in. :angry:

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
and as per the link on my other post, also impacts easter sunday and xmas day
I lose a days pay because the store is closed on Easter Sunday and I dont want to use up leave taking it as a holiday.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm not bothered about Asda opening over Xmas as I'll have stocked up on brown sauce and potato waffles long before.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The retail trade is a bugger for the staff. Over the holidays they get in part time staff made up of uni students. This means they don't have to give them holiday or sick pay and no benefits. They use these guys to cover all the crappy shifts and if you say you can't work them they just don't give you any hours. The managers, who get paid very very well do the rotas so they get to choose the shifts they want and if they do the crap ones theyreap the rewars come bonus time.

None of them pay double time for these crap shifts instead they just offer you a day off of your choice after the christmas rush or simply just don't care. Work it or get sacked.

I have had lots of friends work in places like Topshope etc and at 6.30 when their shift is over they make them stay to tidy the shop for no pay. Unbelievable! I can't think of many other industries that force their staff to stay on unpaid after hours. Of course, the staff are young, have no idea about unions and don't have the confidence to tell the manager to shove it.

A terrible industry to be in.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'd do it. Are they recruiting yet ?.

Roguexx

Jan 11, 2011
Clear a little up

Sorry guys just wanted to clear up a few things i read on here.
Asda doesn't have a parent company, Wal*Mart is not owners of Asda. Asda brought into Wal*Mart so they can use their suppliers to unable them to bring cheaper products in.

Asda has always been and will always be an English company.

As for openings, there are 2 days in a year that Asda close, they are Christmas Day and boxing day.

They pay at Asda is the same in every store. While undergoing training ( first 3 months) Asda pay £6.94 p/h to all non managment colleagues, after 3 months they have a pay rise to £7.24 p/h and also given a colleague discount card.

Asda colleagues are not like most store workers, They have to train for their job and are constantly having to train for new products and protacols. Other then their managers the most highly trained shop floor colleagues are the Customer Services (i know some of them suck) they have to know all the laws and Asda regulations as well as the CPQC (customer product quality claims) system on the computers, asda price guarantee and be able to spot fake reciepts, trust me some of the fakes are good.

Bank holidays are paid at time and a half, and night staff are paid an extra £1p/h.

There is an employee union and all empolyees have access to it regardless of what department they work in or however many hours they work.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Weird

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sorry guys just wanted to clear up a few things i read on here. Asda doesn't have a parent company, Wal*Mart is not owners of Asda. Asda brought into Wal*Mart so they can use their suppliers to unable them to bring cheaper products in. Asda has always been and will always be an English company. As for openings, there are 2 days in a year that Asda close, they are Christmas Day and boxing day. They pay at Asda is the same in every store. While undergoing training ( first 3 months) Asda pay £6.94 p/h to all non managment colleagues, after 3 months they have a pay rise to £7.24 p/h and also given a colleague discount card. Asda colleagues are not like most store workers, They have to train for their job and are constantly having to train for new products and protacols. Other then their managers the most highly trained shop floor colleagues are the Customer Services (i know some of them suck) they have to know all the laws and Asda regulations as well as the CPQC (customer product quality claims) system on the computers, asda price guarantee and be able to spot fake reciepts, trust me some of the fakes are good. Bank holidays are paid at time and a half, and night staff are paid an extra £1p/h. There is an employee union and all empolyees have access to it regardless of what department they work in or however many hours they work.
Can I clear somthing up with you, so your open Easter Sunday then, oh and Asda being open on Boxing day last year was a dream then??

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The more they deny ownership by WalMart the more it looks likely. They must have a lot of clearing up to do if it's taken them 9 months to get to this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here