Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As a nation, do we love our children?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I know we do as individuals, but as a nation do we love children? Do we see them as an inconvenience, trouble makers etc?

The reason I ask, is because I was watching BBC news this morning and the chat was about the taking of that little girl and the two different cultures of Portugal and Britain re children. In Portugal they would have taken the young girl with them to the restaurant and that all other other customers would see that as no problem. In Britain its different. We tend not to take our children to say the restaurant and when we do, you can just see the look on some people faces.

Similarly, when I was in hospital recently I was sharing a ward with a youngster who was 17. Now he was the youngest person in that ward by decades. He told me that he was a little worried about the reaction of the other patients i.e would they see him as just another lout. A hoody etc. He said that not all kids are bad and yet they all get tarred with the same brush.

So NSC, what do you think. As a nation do we love our children?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think abortion should be legalised up to the age of 16:wave:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We try to love them as a parent but as they become teenagers they sadly push us to the limit. I think one of the problems is kids have so much more now days that we did so their expectation is that much higher.

Not sure how we ever resolve this.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Beach Hut said:
We try to love them as a parent but as they become teenagers they sadly push us to the limit. I think one of the problems is kids have so much more now days that we did so their expectation is that much higher.

Not sure how we ever resolve this.

Stop spoiling them and giving in every time they whinge.:nono:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Too many miserable old gits in this country who seem to forget that they were kids once.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think that Kids are great, however I don't agree with them in pubs as I see that as an adult place but in family restaurants I don't see the problem if they are well behaved.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Nibble said:
I don't agree with them in pubs as I see that as an adult place

So if I take little bulldog to the pub on match day he should have to stay outside with a bottle of pop then Nibble? Very old fashioned view me thinks.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
British Bulldog said:
So if I take little bulldog to the pub on match day he should have to stay outside with a bottle of pop then Nibble? Very old fashioned view me thinks.

I think ceratin pubs should allow them and others shouldn't.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Uncle C said:
Stop spoiling them and giving in every time they whinge.:nono:

Believe you me I don't

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Les Biehn said:
I think ceratin pubs should allow them and others shouldn't.

There are pubs that dont allow kids and most pubs that do allow kids set a time limit which is fair enough, But to say kids should'nt be allowed in pubs is very old fashioned.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
British Bulldog said:
There are pubs that dont allow kids and most pubs that do allow kids set a time limit which is fair enough, But to say kids should'nt be allowed in pubs is very old fashioned.

But you have kids so its different for you. I don't and I'm not keen on other peoples running around while I'm getting pissed.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Beach Hut said:
Believe you me I don't

If your trying to change teenagers, you are far too late.

Bad habits are institutionalised way back in the nursery and are in evidence in supermarkets where some kids are allowed to run amok, and are only quietened down by blackmail of sweets or toys.

Agree europeans see children as part of society, we see them as nise and nuisance.

Locally, we are lucky that our Turkish, Kurdish, Vietmanese restaurants adore kids.....we even had had waiters taking them off our hands and playing with them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
British Bulldog said:

It may be seen as old fashioned but I see Pubs as an adult place where adults should be able to smoke, swear and have a laugh - when kids are around I have to temper my behaviour and I find it annoying. You have Children so if you wanted to go to the pub without them you would need to find someone to take care of them and it is easier to take them with you.

I also don't believe a pub is a very good environment for children to be in.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:
We love our children, we just don't want them around 24/7, we need adult time.

I have sympathy with that. As our kids are getting older my wife and I have virtually no time to ourselves for errm you know.

It's not like when they were smaller and they would go to sleep at 8, they are now 12/13, more sexually aware than I was at their age, awake before us and usually don't go to sleep until after we have gone to bed despite sending them to bed at an earlier time.

It's hell you know

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Les Biehn said:
But you have kids so its different for you. I don't and I'm not keen on other peoples running around while I'm getting pissed.

Thats where it comes down to proper parenting of your own kids in pubs Les, I've allways taken my kids to pubs but would never have let them run around causing chaos and making a nuisence of themselves because I respect there will be adults who maybe want to sit and have a quiet drink with friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here