Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: Football Changed and Chris Hughton Didn’t Keep Up

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Dunno why you feel rotten. It's not as if we weren't warned, by those Norwich fans who cam on here when C H got the job. He did exactly the same for Albion as he did at Norwich, with the same result for him and luckily just avoiding relegation for us. I never thought that he had a plan 'B' and regrettably I was proved right.

But what a smashing article. I don't think anyone has put it better.

Eddie On the Wing

Jul 1, 2012
Dunno why you feel rotten. It's not as if we weren't warned, by those Norwich fans who cam on here when C H got the job. He did exactly the same for Albion as he did at Norwich, with the same result for him and luckily just avoiding relegation for us. I never thought that he had a plan 'B' and regrettably I was proved right.

But what a smashing article. I don't think anyone has put it better.

Yes, but in order to leave us in the same position he left Norwich, he had to get us into that position first. For the first Premier League season, safety first was fine, but having just survived with it last year, this year should have moved on, but he didn't and it was time to change - to survive now, you have to try to do more than just survive. the article is spot on about that. But after four and a half years, promotion and Premier League football, you can't do the "I always said...and I've been proved right" routine, because you haven't been.

cosmic cowboy

Oct 8, 2003
Kemp Town
I agree with all of this, from 3000 miles away in Brooklyn NY. I watched every game last season, FA Cups too, not the League Cup but I got a very good idea of the formation and each individual player, the strengths and weaknesses. Up to Christmas things were fine, but something went badly wrong when we went away to Fulham and inexplicably Matt was re-installed between the posts on a wet Tuesday evening by the river. We collapsed in the 2nd half and never recovered. The confidence was alarming to watch as it drained steadily away match by match. I'd started counting the points weeks ago when it became clear that we were not going to score another goal. As it happens we did score v Newcastle AND City but we all know that we deserved to go down but by the skin of our teeth and old Croydon mates survived to fight another season in the English elite. Was Dan Ashworth responsible for the Southgate appointment ? I was in Moscow last summer and the change of atmosphere around England is palpable. I think Tony B has been very bold and gambled on the future. What a relief. I agree with every word of this article, and like you I have tremendous respect for Chris Hughton. But he failed to motivate the players after that Bournemouth debacle and for that particular result v Cardiff, he had to go.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Absolutely head, nail on. An excellent article.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
That sums things up very well, an excellent piece very well written.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
“Am I watching Brighton or Barcelona?”

When CH had the players in form, we could play. Sadly this season it’s not just Hughton, we didn’t have anyone sparkle like Izquierdo last year, or magic goals and chances like Gross consistently did.

Ultimately Hughton goes because he couldn’t turn it around, we’ll never know if he could have.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Great article

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I agree with all of this, from 3000 miles away in Brooklyn NY. I watched every game last season, FA Cups too, not the League Cup but I got a very good idea of the formation and each individual player, the strengths and weaknesses. Up to Christmas things were fine, but something went badly wrong when we went away to Fulham and inexplicably Matt was re-installed between the posts on a wet Tuesday evening by the river. We collapsed in the 2nd half and never recovered. The confidence was alarming to watch as it drained steadily away match by match. I'd started counting the points weeks ago when it became clear that we were not going to score another goal. As it happens we did score v Newcastle AND City but we all know that we deserved to go down but by the skin of our teeth and old Croydon mates survived to fight another season in the English elite. Was Dan Ashworth responsible for the Southgate appointment ? I was in Moscow last summer and the change of atmosphere around England is palpable. I think Tony B has been very bold and gambled on the future. What a relief. I agree with every word of this article, and like you I have tremendous respect for Chris Hughton. But he failed to motivate the players after that Bournemouth debacle and for that particular result v Cardiff, he had to go.

and following his SO recent return from international duty - He should never have been started that day.

I agree with your post and 'entirely' with your final sentence !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here