Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: Being Positive

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I'm not expecting this view to be popular...but here goes...

Following the tidal wave of negativity over the past three months and today's departure of Will Buckley, has anyone (aside from me) considered recent events could in fact be a very POSITIVE move by the club?

Let me explain my rationale:

Firstly, as a devoted fan of the Albion and it's greatest ever benefactor, it's inconceivable Tony Bloom will leave the club high and dry. Or that he would suddenly dilute his ambition for Premier League football, instead wallowing in the depths of League 1, the echoes of anonymous loanees bouncing off the 15.000 or so empty padded seats. Do fans really perceive him to be lacking in drive or ambition, unwilling to dip into his swollen coffers? The same guy who paid £93m to build the Amex Stadium? The same guy who has built one of the finest academies in the country, the same guy who, despite our relatively short return to the Championship has stumped up a wages bill far greater than the majority of our well established peers? Doesn't sound like a cheapskate. Ask yourself this question: if he didn't wish to pile his fortune into the black hole of top flight football, the why bother building the Amex in the first place? No-one is deluded enough to spend that kind of money in this sport and actually expect to build a viable, profitable business model. We all know football clubs are largely profligate vanity projects for rich kids. Or sheiks.

For a guy who has built his life and business around beating the guy next door (or across the card table), I can't ever see Tony Bloom, that most competitive of beasts, accepting second best or selling off the family silver. I'd say 'Bloom has taken the broom' and is cashing some chips to ramp up for another assault on the PL. I'd say neither Ulloa nor Buckley helped us reach the PL and their proceeds will further fund a new generation of Albion stars. Expect some big signings this year. if not pre September, then in January or next season. But don't expect the Albion dream to suddenly dissipate into a cloud of what-ifs and disaffection. To end up a broken club - or a Portsmouth.

Of course we can't ever discount the sale of the club. The stadium is shiny and new. They built it, they came. Good for us. But even if the boards go up, then I expect TB to broker a deal to safeguard our future in top flight football. No-one can dispute his credentials or credibility, his passion for the club. He's never reneged on a promise. Never lied or screwed us over. Why start now?

You can fire the insults, I'm not precious. But there's as much sense in what I say as the prophets of doom currently pedalling their misery on NSC.

Up the Albion. Always.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Way too positive and intelligent.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I daresay if- as Palace fans on that BBS thread seem to hope- that Tony Bloom viewed the Albion as merely a money-making exercise, to be flogged off to the nearest waiting Arab billionaire, he'd have knocked up the cheapest stadium possible, and either ignored or scrimped on a training ground rebuild, and spanked all his money on glamorous big name players in order to achieve the quick fix of Premier League football as soon as possible.

That he's taken the time, and made the investments to leave the club with one of the best infrastructures in the country, suggests to me he has a long term interest in making Brighton & Hove Albion the best it can possibly be.

Even if we have to endure a bit of (relative) short term pain in the meantime.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have been quite pissed off with what has gone on over the last year in regard to transfers, I hold my hand up.

I am slowly coming around to agreeing with what you are saying, because the alternative scenario that TB is running the club into the ground is, I accept, ludicrous.

The way this is all unfolding is strange way to go about things imo but I have never been in a position to build a stadium and run a club so I guess someone who has done it might be more clued up than me :smile:

Perhaps TB has found the ideal man in Sami, jury is out on that though obviously.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's the one thing people seem to forget; that first and foremost Bloom is a fan of the club. Yes, he is a businessman and yes he will run the club in a financially prudent manner, but i don't think he would ever endanger the club. If anyone wants us to succeed, it's him.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Following the tidal wave of negativity over the past three months and today's departure of Will Buckley, has anyone (aside from me) considered recent events could in fact be a very POSITIVE move by the club?

Firstly, as a devoted fan of the Albion and it's greatest ever benefactor, it's inconceivable Tony Bloom will leave the club high and dry. Or that he would suddenly dilute his ambition for Premier League football, instead wallowing in the depths of League 1, the echoes of anonymous loanees bouncing off the 15.000 or so empty padded seats. Do fans really perceive him to be lacking in drive or ambition, unwilling to dip into his swollen coffers? The same guy who paid £93m to build the Amex Stadium? The same guy who has built one of the finest academies in the country, the same guy who, despite our relatively short return to the Championship has stumped up a wages bill far greater than the majority of our well established peers? Doesn't sound like a cheapskate. Ask yourself this question: if he didn't wish to pile his fortune into the black hole of top flight football, the why bother building the Amex in the first place? No-one is deluded enough to spend that kind of money in this sport and actually expect to build a viable, profitable business model. We all know football clubs are largely profligate vanity projects for rich kids. Or sheiks.

For a guy who has built his life and business around beating the guy next door (or across the card table), I can't ever see Tony Bloom, that most competitive of beasts, accepting second best or selling off the family silver. I'd say 'Bloom has taken the broom' and is cashing some chips to ramp up for another assault on the PL. I'd say neither Ulloa nor Buckley helped us reach the PL and their proceeds will further fund a new generation of Albion stars. Expect some big signings this year. if not pre September, then in January or next season. But don't expect the Albion dream to suddenly dissipate into a cloud of what-ifs and disaffection. To end up a broken club - or a Portsmouth.

Of course we can't ever discount the sale of the club. The stadium is shiny and new. They built it, they came. Good for us. But even if the boards go up, then I expect TB to broker a deal to safeguard our future in top flight football. No-one can dispute his credentials or credibility, his passion for the club. He's never reneged on a promise. Never lied or screwed us over. Why start now?

You can fire the insults, I'm not precious. But there's as much sense in what I say as the prophets of doom currently pedalling their misery on NSC.

Up the Albion. Always.

Good stuff, sir.

Tony will 'bloom' (geddit?) again, some time very soon. Nobody on earth can read his poker face.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The only possible answer. A shrewd operator like TB knows when to bank and when to spend. He's hardly going to invest hundreds of millions of his own cash to watch us drop into L1. He's also not in the business of letting anyone see his cards by issuing reassuring statements to keep a few piss the beds happy.

Up the Albion. Always.

Glad you have spoken up for the majority, silent or otherwise. Let's just hope the idiots never take over the NSC asylum by shouting the loudest and most frequently.

Westmead Fan

Jul 17, 2014
they need to sort the backroom staff out. What Brighton need with the new academy is get the right coaching staff in to bringing the kids through & investing in buying young players for the future. We need proper first team backroom staff such as a assistant manager to guide SH because lets face it he is fresh meat going to hung out to dry by the look of things currently.

The next problem is the most slated part of this club the scouting system. this needs massive improvement for one to get as i said new youngsters into the club & scout first team players properly because even though the club has sold quite a few good players recently which is best for the club we have made bad investments & released plays for nothing with players on very good wages not improving the team.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think what may be unsettling some is the different way we appear to operate our transfer process [buying at least].

Some suspect this was a contributing factor to the departure of our last two managers whose performance would be difficult to describe as poor [both made the top 6].

Do we know of any other clubs who operate with the Burke / Barber type arrangement that also appear to not closely engage with the Manager when it comes to player recruitment? Surely we are not unique in this setup?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here